Chapter 20: God Speaks To Asher and Moses

Quasimodo woke the next morning as he always did. He smiled at his wife who lay asleep still. He kissed her on the cheek. "I love you." She smiled as she curled up under the blankets. Quasimodo took a deep breath as he looked out at the desert landscape.

He hadn't gone by his original name in a long time. Only his brother and his wife knew the truth of who he was. That and Miri-Miriam. He sighed. He really did miss his sister. If he ever did find a way to return to Egypt and free his people like he promised he would take it.

His brother was probably up already. However, as he climbed the hill he noticed his brothers flock of sheep was left unattended. That's odd. Where's Moses? Suddenly he heard a loud bleat behind him.

He recognized the sheep as one of his own. He sighed. This particular sheep was always trying to sneak away. "It's too early for this." He said with an annoyed sigh. He chased after the sheep as it ran off into a cave in the mountain.

He looked around the tunnel to see which way the sheep went when he noticed a light coming from one of the caves. He heard the sound of the sheep coming from another part of the cave but decided to investigate the light first.

He peered into the small hole and saw his brother standing in front of a burning bush. He could not hear what he was saying but it seemed important. Suddenly the flames from the bush grew larger and exploded forward covering the cave.

When he looked back his brother stood there unharmed but clearly speechless. The bush behind him was now a normal bush covered in leaves and flowers. Quasimodo ducked into the shadows as his brother ran past him.

When he was sure his brother had gone he slid into the cave. He noticed his brother had left his sandals behind and picked them up. He was about to leave when he heard his name being called.

"Asher"The boy turned around startled but saw no one. "Asher." He tried to climb back out but fell. "Asher" He froze when noticed a familiar eerie glow behind him. He backed away alarmed. The bush behind him yet again glowed with same eerie blue flames he had seen before.

"Do not be afraid boy." "I mean you no harm." The boy looked at the burning bush nervously. "Take the sandals from your feet, boy." "For the place on which you stand is holy ground."

The boy looked at the bush nervously. W-Who.....Who are you? "I am that I am." I don't understand. The boy said confused. "I am the God of your ancestors, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob."

Quasimodo dropped his staff shocked. He was....Talking to god?! He did as he'd been instructed earlier and removed his sandals. He looked at the burning bush confused. "What do You want with me?"