Chapter 21: Rameses

As they entered the palace dancers danced near the foot of the throne. The people around them stared at the two strange men surprised as they made their way to the throne. Suddenly the Pharaoh raised his hand for the dancers to stop.

The Pharaoh stood and Quasimodo recognized him immediately. It was Rameses. Oh no. Quasimodo thought horrified realizing Moses would have to fight his brother. "Rameses" Said Moses shocked.

Rameses narrowed his eyes at him until he recognized him. Moses? Is it really you? Moses asked shocked. Moses! Rameses shouted as he rushed to his younger brother hugging him. – "Where have you been? I took you for dead."

"Look at you!" Pharaoh. Said Moses surprised. "Well, look at you. What on earth are you dressed as?" Said Rameses referring to his odd clothing. "Oh, Rameses, it's so good to see you." Said Moses happy to see his older brother.

Excuse me, Your Majesty. A voice said behind the two brothers. Quasimodo immediately recognized the old pharaohs two priest from the last time he had been here. "We are compelled to remind you this man committed a serious crime against the gods." The skinnier of the 2 priests said.

"We are loathe to bring it up, mind you." Said the other one "The law clearly states the punishment for such a crime- Death! We hesitate to say it." Rameses held his hand up to silence them. Be still. Pharaoh speaks. He said laughing at the shocked reactions of the priests.

"I am the morning and the evening star." Rameses. Moses said trying to interject. But Rameses ignored him. "It shall be as I say." "I pardon forever all crimes of which he stands accused...and will have it known that he is...our brother Moses, the prince of Egypt!" He said placing a hand on his brothers shoulder.

Moses moved his brothers hand of his shoulder and looked up at him, His eyes dark and serious. "Rameses, in my heart, you are my brother, but things cannot be as they were." Rameses grinned at him still looking confused. "I see no reason why not."

Moses sighed and looked up at his older brother. "You know I am a Hebrew, and the God of the Hebrews came to me." What? Said Rameses confused. "He commands that you let his people go." Said Moses stepping away from him.

Commands? Rameses asked confused. He looked at him confused. He looked past Moses's shoulder and his eyes locked onto Quasimodo recognizing him as the same slave boy Moses had ran off with Moses's real brother.

And what Power does this "God" of yours poses that he thinks he can command anything of me?! Rameses asked. Moses motioned his brother forward. "Behold... the power of God." Said Moses as He and Quasi slammed their staffs onto the ground.

They backed away as the staffs stood upright by themselves. The soon began to shake slightly as the staffs began to take the form of cobras. The snakes hissed up at the Pharaoh menacingly. The crowed around the throne backed away alarmed by the serpents.