Chapter Thirty

Your POV

     I rolled over, half awake, to find the bed cold and empty. I frowned and felt around, hoping to find Steve, but he wasn't there. I guess I just imagined him coming in last night.

     I sat up and rubbed my eyes harshly, trying to get them into focus. I glanced over to Steve's clock on the wall, to see that it was five forty-six. And I had work to do today, hooray. Maggie had jumped up on the bed to greet me, and I noticed that she was a little bigger than last night. If she kept growing at the rate she was, she'd be fully grown by next week. I rubbed her head and spoke nonsense to her, but stopped once I saw the bathroom door open.

     I looked up, to be met with Steve, in only a towel, and his hair soaked. We shared a smile, and he came over to kiss me. The kiss didn't last as long as I wanted it to, since Maggie started to lick Steve's freshly cleaned face. We both laughed as we pulled away.

"Godmornin' darlin'." Steve spoke, his Brooklyn accent shining through, which I found incredibly attractive.

"Hi." I breathed out.

     He just chuckled at me, and patted my leg before meandering over to his closet, cracking the door so we could still talk to each other.

"Steve?" I called out.

"Yes?" He called out back, his voice a being muffled slightly by the door.

"Have you noticed that Maggie's gotten bigger lately?" I spoke as I patted Maggie's fur.

"Yeah, yeah I have noticed that. She almost knocked me over when I came in last night." Steve stuck his head out of the crack in the door and I blushed, getting a glimpse of his toned chest.

"Well....yesterday, when I went to take her outside...she ran into the window... and cracked it." I chuckled slightly, and Maggie had a guilty look on her face again, she could definitely understand me.

"Did you take her to Bruce and Tony?" I could see Steve putting on a shirt through the crack.

"Yeah, I did. Bruce took some blood, and he found that she's got something similar to the serum that you and Bucky had. And she's grown a lot since you got her." Steve's face looked surprised as he came out of the closet, his hair still damp.

"So we have an enhanced dog. Good to know I guess." He went over to his armoire and pulled out a pair of socks, chuckling to himself.

"Tony also looked up her records from the adoption center, and it turns out that she was adopted three different times last week, but brought back every time. Said that she was destructive." I spoke, not paying any attention to Steve as I rubbed Maggie's face with both my hands, and she looked like she was on cloud nine.

"I think she'll fit in just fine in our band of misfits. How big will she get?" Steve had just finished tying his shoes and walked over to sit on the edge of the bed.

"We don't know. She could be the average size, but judging by how she's growing, I think she'll be bigger than that." I finally looked over at Steve, who was looking at Maggie intensely.

     I furred my eyebrows at him, and he pointed to her collar. Her f/c collar was tight round her neck, I could barley fit one finger under it. I quickly unclipped the collar from her, and she seemed relieved.

"And I'm pretty sure she can understand us. Don't you Maggie?" I looked at Steve, and then back to Maggie, and she let out a little 'ruff' in agreement.

"At least that'll make training easy." Steve smiled at me.

      I nodded and crawled over to where he was sitting and wrapped my arms around him, squishing my face into his chest.