Chapter Twenty-One

Your POV

     I was woken up bright and early this morning by Steve. He had a pair of sweatpants on, and a tight t-shirt.

"Come on my run with me." Steve's question came out more as a statement as I squinted at him.

     It took a moment for his words to register for me, since I just woke up. But when I understood his words, I got up and quickly put my leg sleeves on, and fastened my prosthetic legs. I ran into my closet as I threw on a pair of basketball shorts and a form-fitting tank top. I threw my hair up in a ponytail as I grabbed Steve and pulled him out of the room.

**Time skip to breakfast at Agatha's Diner, after your run**

     You and Steve sat down at the booth that you two had been at the week earlier, and Agatha greeted you two almost immediately.

"Hello again! Oh sweetie, I don't think I ever got your name." Agatha looked at me tenderly as I told her my name.

"It's lovely to meet you, Y/n." Agatha spoke before her name was called from somewhere in the kitchen.

     Another server came to take our drink order, since Agatha was needed elsewhere, there were, after all, quite a few full tables in the quant diner. The waiter took our food order as well, and we waited patiently for the food.

"I don't think I've ever seen this place so busy." Steve spoke as he looked around.

"I don't blame it being for being crowded, the food here is amazing!" I smiled at Steve and he returned it.

     Shortly after, our food was brought out to us. We ate quickly, and the waiter brought us our check. Steve paid the tab, even though I protested, so I left the tip. Me and Steve ate so quickly because we had no time to spare, with everyone planing to leave for Italy tomorrow morning.

     After me and Steve got back to the compound, we both said our goodbyes as we went our separate ways. I made my way to the gym, to make sure my combat skills were all in check for the what seemed like millionth time that week. Most of the team was in the gym, and most of them were doing their own thing.

     I went over to the mats and stretched, when I spotted Bucky also coming towards the mats.

"You wanna spar with me?" I bounced up to Bucky.

"If you think you can handle me, doll?" He spoke sarcastically and I squinted at the pet name.

     It was only a moment before I had flipped Bucky over my back and had him pinned to the mat.

"That's for calling me doll." I spoke to him as he tapped out.

     Me and Bucky took turns beating each other it seemed like. We were going to do two out of three, and that turned to four out of five, and so on and so forth until we both could predict each-other's moves. We finally called it quits and me and Bucky switched partners with Steve and Sam.

"You ready to get your ass handed to you, Captain?" I got into a fighting stance as Steve stood opposite me.

"That's what you think, sweetheart." He also got into a fighting stance.

"She didn't pin you for calling her a pet name!" Bucky's strangled voice came from over on the other mat as Sam had him in a headlock.

     I barked out a laugh at him, but was cut short when I was tackled to the ground. Steve had my arms pinned to my side in a heartbeat.

"Never let your guard down while on the field." Steve spoke lowly to me, and then he got up, offering me a hand.

     I took his hand, but as soon as I got up, I had threw myself at his chest, clambering up onto his shoulders like a spider-monkey. I used one of my prosthetic legs and wrapped it around his head, jerking him to the side, catching him off balance and off guard. I then quickly swept my leg underneath his, causing him to fall on his ass. I quickly sat on his chest as I tried to get a hit in on his face. He blocked two, and on the third one, he was too slow and my fist stopped an inch away from his face. 

"nEVER LeT yOuR GuArD DOwN WhILe On ThE FIelD." I mocked his words from earlier as I helped him up.

     He put a hand on his backside and winced.

"Oh my god! Did I hurt you?!" I gasped as my eyes went wide in panic.

"If you can manage to make me sore, you can take anyone out there on the field, honey." He chuckled at my concerned face.

"I feel honored, but also like shit." I looked at him with a concerned look.

"I'm fine, it'll go away in a couple of hours, anyway." Steve reassured me.

My concern melted away as pride then replaced it. I just took down Captain America, go me.

"Take five?" I suggested as Steve agreed.

I laughed as he stood up instead of sitting down on the bench next to me, his ass must hurt. I picked up my phone Steve got a glimpse of my Lock Screen.

"Nice background." He smiled as he looked at it. It was the picture that I took of him when he posed for me right before we had our first date.

He then pulled his phone out of his pocket, and showed me his phone background. It was a picture of me when I first got my legs. I had my arms out, and my tongue was poking out of my mouth in concentration. My legs were a little blurry in the picture, which made me laugh. The blurry legs were from where my legs were wobbling so bad.

"I like your background, too." I smiled up at him as I went to my missed calls list.

     Fury had called me earlier, but I was at breakfast with Steve, so I declined it. I pressed his name and the phone rang as I held it up to my ear.

"I was debating vetoing you like you did me earlier, L/n." Fury's tone was lighter than it usually was.

"Yeah, sorry about that, I was eating." I spoke into the phone as I mouthed 'hold on a second' to Steve who asked me who I was talking to.

"Looks like you have your priorities straight then, agent." The Director joked with me from the other line, which really surprised me, since he was always such a serious person.

"Yes sir, I try. But I figured if I didn't call you back you would show up in my room, or worse, my nightmares." I spoke carelessly into the phone, loosening up a little bit.

"I'll still be in your nightmares. I called you to congratulate you on your new legs, and to wish you and the team luck on the mission tomorrow." My eyebrows shot up.

"Oh, well thank you, sir. And I'll make sure to relay the message to them." I spoke as I shared a dumbfounded look with Steve.

     The line went dead as Fury hung up, and I sat there with my mouth open for a few moments, until Steve took his hand under my chin and shut my mouth.

"Who was that?" He questioned as he looked at me.

"Fury." I spoke as if I was still trying to figure it out entirely, and in reality, I was.

"What did he want?" Steve's face melted into concern.

"Said he just wanted to congratulate me on my new legs, and to wish the team luck on the mission tomorrow...." Steve's expression turned to one of surprise, and this time, you were the one that had to shut his mouth.

"You mean you declined Nick Fury when he called you?" I just nodded slowly at him.

"I was at breakfast with you, it would be rude if I answered it at the table." I shrugged at him.

"I can't believe you declined the director of SHIELD to eat breakfast with me."