Chapter Fourteen

Your POV

Steve left my room late last night, and I actually slept for most of the night. That's the first time I've slept more than two hours at a time since my accident.

I woke up a a little later than planned, but I woke up in a good mood, which was odd, but I welcomed the feeling. I pulled myself out of bed and into my wheelchair as I went through my morning routine.

Today was Thursday, so it was a work day for me. I went to the kitchen to go get coffee, and cursed myself once I realized I couldn't reach the mugs. I looked around for someone to help me, only to notice that the common room was void of any team members. The more I looked, I then noticed a mug placed upside down on the counter with a sticky note attached to it. The note read:

'Here, this'll make your morning a little easier.
Your friend,
Steve'

I smiled at the note as I read it, and then shoved it in my pocket. I graciously took the coffee cup down from the counter and poured myself a cup of liquid gold. I doctored it up real nice, and then carefully made my way to my office.

As I reached the door, I paused before grabbing the door handle. Images of what happened the last time I was here flashed through my head. I looked up and down the hallway nervously as I entered my office. I only had one line of defense if an intruder was in here, and that was to throw my steaming hot coffee at them.

I was relieved to find my office barren of any intruders. I transferred myself from my wheelchair to my office chair, and started to get to work. There was a pretty good stack of paperwork on the tray in my desk. I rummaged around in the drawers of my desk for a pen, and came up empty. I had absolutely no office supplies what so ever. The only thing on my desk was my computer, the tray with the paperwork in it, a nameplate, and of course my cup of coffee.

I huffed as I hoisted myself back out of my comfortable office chair and back into my wheelchair. I left my office and went down the hallway to a closet that was labeled "supplies". I opened the closet and was met with a world of office supplies. I grabbed a wire cup, and filled it with different colored pens and highlighters. I also grabbed sticky notes, whiteout, and a few other office necessities.

I settled back down in my office chair for the second time that day, and went to take a sip of my untouched coffee. I made a face at the cup, since it wasn't even hot anymore. I just pushed the coffee mug away from me and started to fill out my paperwork.

It was about twelve o'clock when I heard a knock on my door.

"Come in!" I shouted from my place at my desk, still scribbling away at the paperwork pile that has lessened considerably.

A small box was placed on my desk snd I looked up. A man was dressed in a UPS uniform, and had a clipboard in hand.

"Y/n L/n?" He spoke as he skimmed through his clipboard.

"That's me." I gave him a friendly smile.

He handed me the clipboard and I signed where he told me to, and he left right after. I poked the package with my ballpoint pen before I even grabbed it, I was always weary of unknown boxes. I read the shipping label on it, but tensed once I saw that it was from the veterinarians office.

I pushed the box away from me as tears welled up in my eyes. I didn't bother to open the package as I put my head in my hands and just broke down at my desk.