Chapter Three

Your POV

I was really confused now. Why were we here? And why wasn't Fury here? And most importantly, why was the captain here? My mind raced as I stayed still in the middle of the room.

The captain and Maria had already taken a seat on the couch in the office, and I eventually wheeled over beside the couch, next to where Maria was sitting. I wanted to ask Maria so many questions, but she was having a conversation with Captain Rogers like I wasn't even here. I zoned out for most of the conversation, until I heard my name being said.

"Huh? Oh-." I was confused as they both stared at me expectantly.

"I totally wasn't listening to a word of what you just said. Can you fill me in?" My eyes darted between the two of them as Maria took it upon herself to explain.

"I was introducing you two." Maria spoke slowly as if it was obvious.

"Oh! Well, hi, I'm Y/n L/n. Former field agent, but I'm not so sure anymore." I chuckled to myself as I reached out to shake the Captain's hand.

"Steve Rogers ma'am. Pleasure to meet you, you've been the talk of the agents around here." He shook my hand firmly and gave me a smile as my face dropped.

"Oh- what kind of talk, Mr Rogers?" I asked him with a raised brow.

"Oh! Not anything bad of course. Everyone talking about how you were strong enough to pull through after what happened." He gave you a reassuring smile as I nodded slowly.

I was about to say something else when the door opened on the other side of the room. In came Fury, and following him was Agent Sharon Carter. My nose twitched at the sight of the blonde. I never particularly cared for her, but I always made a point to treat her nicely despite her attitude towards me

Me and Sharon never got along well to begin with. She was one of the snobby rich girls in the academy, always going out of her way to dominate the rest of her classmates. She was always quite rude to her inferiors and I hated that about her. I tried to be nice to everyone, including her. I'd always take up for the people that she'd degraded, and when I did, she always turned her nose up at me. She graduated the academy a little higher than I did, and she never let me forget it.

Despite my dislike for Sharon, I listened intently to what the director had to say.

"Agent, you have been revoked from your duties as a field agent due to unfortunate circumstances." Fury spoke as easily as he could, but my face paled as he spoke.

"W-what do you mean? Are you firing me completely?" My face was pale as I became desperate for answers.

"No, I am not. You can still be of great use to SHEILD, and I am hiring you as secretary for the Avengers." My eyebrows scrunched up.

"A desk job." I mumbled to myself as I stared at my lap.

"You will be transferred to the Avengers compound as soon as possible, and you will start work then. Best of luck to you, agent." Fury spoke to me with sympathy as he came up, and patted me on the shoulder as he walked out.

"Congratulations on your new position secretary handicap." Sharon came up to me and whispered, smacking the thick pile of files she had in her hands down onto my lap.

I practically let out a growl as she walked away, wanting so bad to run her over with my wheelchair. Once the door was shut quietly, Maria tried to comfort me as best she could.

"Hey, this is a very important job. If not for you, nothing would be recorded." She smiled at me and I only frowned in return.

I stared at the files you had in my lap, before turning around and shoving them into my backpack, paying no mind that there were eleven of them, and every single one of them had the word 'classified' stamped on them. As soon as I zipped my bag back up, Maria was already up.

"I'll take you back to your apartment to pack. You start moving out tomorrow." Maria gave me a sad smile as she motioned for me to follow her.

"I'll be by at noon tomorrow to help." Before I could leave the room, Steve's softly spoken words stopped me.

I turned and nodded at him sadly before wheeling myself out of the room.

*****

The ride back to my small apartment was quiet. Maria finally had enough of the silence and skipped through a few stations before she found one she knew I liked, and tuned it up. I looked over at her and as soon as our eyes met, I broke out into tears. Maria just frowned at me and looked back at the road.

She knew that right now, I didn't want to talk about it. In fact, talking was the last thing I wanted to do right now. Sometimes, you just have to cry. So that's what I did. I bawled all the way home. Maria helped me into my apartment once we arrived, and left with a tight hug for a goodbye.

As soon as the door was shut, I immediately called for my dog, (dog's name). I shouted for him, but I didn't hear his dog tags jingling like always. I wheeled myself throughout the apartment, searching and calling for him, only to find him laying on my bed. I smiled at him, tears coming to my eyes. I was so happy to see him. His eyes opened slowly as he saw me, and his tail beat on the bed weakly.

I looked at him concerned, and went over to pet him. I stroked his head, and that's when I noticed how weak his breathing was.