Chapter Thirteen

Third Person POV

After Steve had brought you to your room, your slumber was plagued with nightmares and flashbacks. You'd sleep about five minutes, just to be woken up by another memory that would haunt you.

One nightmare that kept you awake was the events that occurred to make you lose your legs, but that dream occurred every night. Your brain was making you relive the painful moments, like it didn't want you to forget them, ever.

The second time you woke up, you were plagued with Eric's face. You could make him out as clear as day. Part of you actually thanked your brain for these images, because they would surely help you when you went back to Italy.

The third time you woke up, you didn't even have a nightmare, you just woke up. You'd woken up three times in the past thirty minutes, so you just gave up on the idea of sleep.

Your POV

I stretched as I sat up in my bed, looking around the room even though it was pitch black. The darkness of the room made me think of the cargo hold of the plane, and I shuddered at the memory.

"Friday, can you turn the lights on?" I rubbed my eyes tiredly.

"Yes, or I can draw the shades up miss L/n." The AI spoke back. I liked this AI woman, her voice was almost soothing to me.

"Yes please, the shades." I squinted my eyes at the sudden change of light.

I thanked the AI and just sat, leaned up against the headboard, just staring. I went to go reach for the alarm clock to see what time it was, when my hand stopped halfway. Steve left me a sandwich. I smiled fondly at how caring he was, and reached for the sandwich, and pulled it out of its plastic prison.

As I took the first bite, I practically moaned it was so good. I hadn't had any food in forever it feels like. I took bites out of my sandwich and chewed slowly, savoring the taste. My eyes had wandered off to where the wall meets the floor next to the door, and my eyes just stuck to that one place. I zoned out as my mind raced with today's and yesterday's events. My eyes watered when I thought about what could have happened to me, but I quickly pushed them down. Not wanting to be alone with my thoughts anymore, I called out to the AI once more.

"Friday can you please tell Steve that I want to see him?" I took another bite out of my sandwich.

It wasn't long after before a voice came from the other side of my bedroom door.

"Hey, it's me, Steve." His voice sounded like a saving grace to me, no more time alone to overthink.

"Come in." I spoke a little quieter than usual, still being exhausted, and he came in immediately.

His face broke into a smile when he saw me. I couldn't help but return the same energy to him. It was amazing how someone I barley knew could turn my mood around with just a smile.

He gestured to the headboard next to me and I nodded. He went around to the other side of the bed, and settled in next to me, copying how I was sitting.

"You wanted to see me?" Steve spoke as he glanced over to me.

"Yeah......just to not be alone I guess." I gave him a pained smile.

He nodded in understanding, and then a comfortable silence enveloped us. I couldn't believe I actually asked for him to be here. I never ask for help, ever. My mom says that my stubbornness comes from my dad's side of the family. Well I sure as hell got my share of it. I'm never one to ask for help, I like doing things on my own, but I was just drawn to Steve for some odd reason that I couldn't make out.