xlv.

"Are you sure you don't want me to come with?" Sirius asks as he helps her put on the coat and she shakes her head, pushing herself up to peck his lips

"Are you sure you don't want me to come with?" Sirius asks as he helps her put on the coat and she shakes her head, pushing herself up to peck his lips. She was getting ready to go on a patrol with Remus and Dorcas.

"No. You went yesterday. You should get some rest. I'll be fine." She hums, making him huff. She could clearly see that he was worried for her. This was the first time they didn't go together. "Don't worry. I have Remus and Dor to take care of me."

"And we'll make sure to bring her back with every single strand of hair intact." Dorcas says reassuringly and Sirius smiles appreciatively.

"Let's not exaggerate. As humans we are meant to shed approximately 100 hairs a day." Cassiopeia points out, making Sirius playfully glare at her and Remus snickers.

"You know exactly what I mean." Sirius hums and she giggles, nodding in confirmation. He pulls her into a hug and kisses the crown of her head, making her blush.

"It's disgustingly cute how worried  he is about her." Marlene hums as she leans against the wall, receiving a look from Dorcas.

"We should go. Mad-Eye is probably waiting for us." Remus says as he takes Dorcas hand, and Cassiopeia pulls away from Sirius, before taking Remus' hand as well.

"See you later." Marlene smiles as she stands next to Sirius and the three smile at her, before disapparating to their destination. Cassiopeia always hated the feeling she went through the process, but she also knew it was the most efficient form of transport in the wizarding world. She lets out a breath as they arrive at Diagon Alley. they're soon joined by Mad-Eye and other Aurors.

"You're finally here. We got word that some Death Eaters have come to do a raid here. We can't let them get away." Mad-Eye informs them and they all nod. Cassiopeia lets go of Remus and takes her wand out. "We're separating in teams of two, Remus youre with me. Cassiopeia and Dorcas together. Stay safe."

"Right. Okay, we meet back here after?" Dorcas asks as she takes Cassiopeia's hand and Mad-Eye nods, before he and Remus leave. Dorcas looks at Cassiopeia and smiles. The two girls look around as they walk through the streets, in search of Death Eaters.

"How many do you think there are?" Cassiopeia asks, making Dorcas shrug. Dorcas stops as she notices something in one of the small alleys, making Cassiopeia look at her questioningly.

"I think I saw something. I'll be right back." Dorcas says and before Cassiopeia can protest, she's already gone. Cassiopeia huffs as she looks around, keeping her guard up.

"I must admit, I didn't think she'd take the bait so easily." Cassiopeia turns around and stiffens at the sight of the person in front of her. Bellatrix Lestrange, Sirius' other cousin and Andromeda's older sister.

"You got to be bloody kidding me." Cassiopeia mumbles to herself as Bellatrix smirks at her, moving closer.

"You should reconsider friends, if they leave you defenceless so easily." Bellatrix snickers and Cassiopeia clench's her jaw. She wasn't about to make the same mistake she did with Narcissa, she wouldn't let Bellatrix get to her. Bellatrix glances down to her hand and laughs. "Oh, so it is true. Sirius really lost his mind and proposed to you."

"What he does or doesn't do, is none of your business." Cassiopeia snaps and Bellatrix cackles, making chills run down Cassiopeia's back.

"Oh, you're feisty. Cissy didn't mention that. Poor little girl, you remind me too much of your father. Letting love lead you to your own doom. Such a shame really." Bellatrix hums, making Cassiopeia angry as she glares at her.

"Leave my father out of this, bitch." Cassiopeia snarls and Bellatrix drops her amused act, glaring at the petit girl.

"You don't know when to shut up do you. I wonder how Sirius will feel when I send him back your corpse." Bellatrix sneers, making Cassiopeia grip on her wand tighten. Reflexively she casts a shielding charm, just as Bellatrix tries to curse her. Cassiopeia opts to focus on the shield, rather than counterattack and lets Bellatrix tire herself. "Is that all you got?"

"No, but I have more!" Dorcas exclaims as she comes in between them and starts casting curses back at Bellatrix.

"Dorcas! No." Cassiopeia tries to stop her friend, but to no avail. She gets distracted by another Death Eater. She blocks his every attack and quickly starts counterattacking, quickly hitting him with a curse.

He drops to the floor and she turns back around just in time to see Bellatrix cast a deadly curse, successfully hitting Dorcas. Cassiopeia's world stops as she watches Dorcas drop to the floor and her heart stops. Bellatrix glances at her one last time, before disapparating from the place. Cassiopeia rushes to Dorcas body as tears start to run down her cheeks.

"No. No. No. Dor. Please don't leave me. What am I going to tell Marlene? Please." Cassiopeia cries out, but Dorcas stays motionless. She glances up in time to see Remus running towards her, but stop as he notices Dorcas' body. He glances at Cassiopeia, before falling to the floor on the other side of her body.

"Is she..." He trails off, knowing the answer to the question already. She nods, as her whole body is shaking with sobs.

"It's my fault. I should have protected her." She says weakly, making him shake his head and pulls her in a hug.

"No it's not. It's not. Don't blame yourself." Remus says as tears run down his own cheeks.

"We have to go! Now! This was an ambush." Mad-Eye exclaims from behind Remus, taking hold of the two and disapparating from the place. They end up back in their house, making the sound of running towards them echo through the house.

"What's going on?" Peter asks as he, Sirius and Marlene rush to them. Sirius' heart drops as he sees the two crying and he starts worrying.

"Where's Dorcas?" Marlene asks as she looks around in panic and Mad-Eye looks at her with an apologetic smile. Marlene puts a hand over her mouth and she nearly collapses, but Sirius catches her. Marlene breaks down, holding on to Sirius as she sobs and tears form in Sirius' eyes.

"I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry." Cassiopeia cries as she pulls away and looks at Marlene in fear of her disappointment. The blonde shakes her head and drops to the floor next to Cassiopeia, wrapping her arms around her. The girls hold on to each other as they cry at the loss of their closest friend.