Chapter 22: The Forge!

After finishing up their field activities, Pete and Clare left the farm to explore Mineral Town. As it's only been a few days, they haven't had the chance to fully see everything that the town had to offer. They spent the first two days adjusting to their living conditions, after all.

"So!" Leaning forward, Claire drew her hands into a cozy ball behind her back. "What are we going to check out today, Pete? I'm eager to get started!"

"Hmmm." Pete stroked his chin, appearing in deep thought. Just outside the farm entrance, the two farmers stood in a path where it split into two directions. "I think we've gotten a good idea of this path." He motioned to the north road which they'd use to get to the inn.

"I see!" Claire placed a fist on her palm. "Do you want to take this path instead?" She pointed at the east side, where both farmers had taken to find the farm when they arrived at the town.

"Sure." He nodded. I remember seeing farm animals along the way. That's bound to be interesting. "Let's see what this direction is all about."

The duo began walking and not a moment later, a relatively small building caught their attention. It was located at the path split for anyone that turned to the right. Pretty hard to miss, with the amount of smoke flowing out of the chimney on its roof.

"Well, here's our first stop." Pete stood in front of the sign, which took the form of a black hammer stuck to the ground like a statue. What an interesting sign. "The Forge..."

"Ooooh!" Claire's eyes scanned the red exterior and golden roof of the building. This place must have something to do with tools! "Let's go in!"

"Aren't you eager?" Pete raised a brow. "After you, then."

...

..

.

Claire entered the building, followed by Pete. The moment they stepped in, the temperature rose around their skin. Their eyes adjust to the warm glow of the furnace. The sound of hammering echoed through the air as they made their way toward the counter of the shop. The heat was intense, and they could feel it radiating off of the glowing coals in the furnace. The air was thick with ash and smoke, and the thick scents of hot metal and burnt wood tingled their noses.

"W-Woah..." Pete loosened his red collar. "It just got hotter here..."

"No kidding!" Claire fanned her face. "It's as if I just stepped into—..."

"Why?! Tell me what's wrong with it!"

"TELL you? Fool! Look within. You already have the answer. If you can't even understand that..."

Two loud voices drew the two farmer's attention to the forge fire beside the counter. Sounds of frustrated hammering echoed through their ears. An elderly man and a young boy could be seen arguing with one another.

"Someone's getting scolded... did we come at a wrong time?" Pete whispered. "They haven't noticed us."

"... Maybe we should say hi?" Claire decided, walking to the two people. "Hello—..."

"What?" The blond-haired boy snapped his eyes to Claire, furious. "What're you looking at?"

"A-Ah?!" Claire nearly flinched backward. Pete instinctively stood in front of her, shielding her, his crimson eyes meeting the boy's blue eyes.

The boy's gaze enraged further. "If you don't have any business here, then..."

"Gray!" The elder man cut in, a disappointed frown appearing on his face. "How dare you address a customer in such an impertinent manner!"