Chapter 20: Routine Start!

"Ohhhh... this is pure bliss~!"

"Make sure not to sink under."

After Pete's morning bath and an encounter with the traveling merchant, the two farmers went to the hot spring. Claire wasted no time in entering the hut and jumping into the refreshing spring.

This feeling is the best...! Claire floated around in the white holy waters. She still couldn't believe she'd have free access to this wonderful hot spring! It surprised her that she hadn't seen anyone come here yet. Not that she minded having the entire area to herself. It's a godsend!

Standing near the waterfall, Pete glanced in her general direction. She sure loves her morning baths. The corner of his lip curled up slightly. If this was their morning routine, he wouldn't mind at all. Walking through the forests and taking in the fresh elements of nature formed a good start to his day.

But... now that we know we can forage stuff from the forests. Pete clapped his hands and rubbed them together. I think that can be added to my morning routine!

"Hey, Claire." He walked to the edge of the hot spring. "Mind if I leave you here?"

"... Hmmm?" Claire smoothed her hair behind her ears.

"I'm planning to do some foraging around the forests." He folded his arms. "Finding stuff we can ship as we did before."

"Oh, right." Her eyes widened. Now that they already have an idea of the forests, foraging for items would be a good start for their daily farming activities. "That's a good idea, Pete."

"You can catch up with me in the lake area." He motioned to the lake on the west side of the spring. "I'll be exploring around there."

"Okay." She nodded. "I'll catch up with you as soon as I'm done."

"Take your time." He smiled. With that parting remark, he walked around the hot spring and went towards the lake. Time to get foraging!

...

..

.

Pete strolled towards the forests in a leisurely manner. It's a good day with Mother Nature. He stood in front of the lakes, observing the shimmering flows of the water. It was such a calming sight. But I didn't come here for sightseeing. He came here to forage, and that's what he was going to do!

As he looked around, a few items caught his attention. Blue grasses, bamboo shoots, and flowers. Not that he expected to find something else. Since flowers can be shipped, I suppose I could also collect them. If Claire didn't pick them up before, he would have simply ignored them.

So he got to foraging. He picked up a few blue grasses, bamboo shoots, and flowers here and there. He left some of the flowers untouched in case Claire wanted to collect them. On the side of the lake was a path leading up north.

That path... it leads up to the mountains, doesn't it? Pete stroked his chin. Compared to everything he's seen so far, nothing held as much significance as the mountains. A place he visited as a child.

I visited the mountains often. He gazed at the clouds in the sky. I remember playing and running around there. A vague memory pulsed within the deepest depths of his mind. A memory he couldn't drag to the surface. It's been so long ago...

"Well, aren't you an unfamiliar face?"

"Hmmm...?" A voice snapped him out of his train of thought. Pete turned around and saw a man. A blue shirt fitted his stocky and sturdy figure. The large hammer behind his back caught Pete's attention.

"Don't think I've seen you 'round here before." The man stroked his beard. "Who're you?"

"Ah, hello there!" He cleared his throat and smiled. "My name is Pete. I'm new around here. I recently took over the farm."

"Ah. Moved into that old farmhouse, didja?" He offered his hand and bowed his head, remembering that the mayor may have said something along those lines. "Name's Gotts. I'm the carpenter 'round these parts."

The carpenter...? Pete graciously shook his hand. "It's nice to meet you, Gotts."

"If you wanna spruce that old farmhouse up, you come see me. You might have already seen my house in the forests." Gotts grabbed his hammer and swung the air. "I'll build whatever ya want, as long as ya pay for it."

"Oh, of course." Pete nodded. That house in the south area of the forests. I'm guessing that's where he lives.

"Well, I'll be on my way." He put his hammer back and turned around. "Good luck with the farmhouse, Pete."

"Ah, thank you."

He bowed his head briefly, seeing Gotts walk along the lake area. A new resident! So that's the carpenter around these parts, eh? He folded his arms, appearing in deep thought. That's good to hear! It would seem Gotts is the right guy to come to for renovations. I think he's the answer to Claire's prayers! She had complaints here and there about their home. He could help expand their house so it would be suitable for two people, then she wouldn't nag about it anymore! Or maybe he could build a new one instead? Wait, that might be too costly...

"Oh." Gotts turned around. "And one more thing, Pete."

"Ah, yes?" Pete reflexively straightened his back.

"... A little word of advice." His eyes motioned to the north bridge leading up from the lake. "Don't wander too far into the mountains."

"... Oh?" Pete followed his line of sight. Right, so that path leads up there...

"Thought I should tell you this since you're new here." He turned his back to him. "But keep that in ya head."

With that parting remark, he left Pete to his own company. Pete stood in place, pondering his warning. He sensed a hint of sadness in his stern words. As if there was a deeper story behind it. Funny he says that because I was thinking of heading toward the mountains sometimes. Perhaps it was better to heed his advice for now...

"What are you doing, just standing there?" A cheery and familiar voice snapped his train of thought. "Daydreaming?"

"Woah, Claire?" Pete turned around, seeing her already wearing familiar blue overalls. "Are you already done with your bath?"

She crossed her arms and winked. "I couldn't just be relaxing in the spring while you're already working, could I?"

"Haha, Is that right?" Pete chuckled, offering a smile. How considerate of her. "Well, let's get to foraging together, shall we?"

"All right!"

And so, their routine for the day started with an activity of foraging through the forests.