Chapter 21: Mysterious Fruits!

"I think I gathered more flowers than before, Pete!"

"You could probably tie them together as a gift."

After their foraging, Pete and Claire left the forests, walking back to the shipment box on the farm. They shipped their efforts for the day and drew their attention to the fields.

"Whew, I'm feeling pumped up!" Claire raised her arm and squeezed her bicep.

"You're awfully energetic today." Pete raised a brow.

"Of course. Why wouldn't I be?" She grinned. "This is the change of pace I needed from my boring part-time jobs back in the city."

"It does feel refreshing." Pete agreed. While it was much more exciting for Claire, the farm certainly introduced them both to new experiences.

"So!" Claire clapped her hands. "What's next, Pete?"

"I think you know what I'm thinking." Pete grabbed the watering can from his rucksack.

"Hehe!" Claire followed, taking her watering can from her rucksack. She walked over to the plot of land she made, which was right next to Pete's. "It's time to water the plants!"

The two farmers got to work, watering their plots which consisted of 3 by 3 squares of turnip seeds. Since they made only two seed packets' worth of plots, watering the fields took very little time.

"Nicely done." Pete set his watering can aside. "I think we're getting the hang of this."

"I feel like watering more!" Claire pumped her fist up. "We should make other fields, Pete! Let's head to the General Store and buy more seeds!"

"Let's take it one step at a time, shall we?" He waved his hand. Her enthusiasm was infectious and it strangely motivated him. I'd like to try my hand at more, too. "Let's see if we can handle these—..."

"Woof, woof!"

"... Oh?" Pete and Claire turned to the barks, seeing a familiar puppy running towards them.

"Woof!"

"Hey there, buddy!" Pete crouched and drew his hand to it. "You seem in a good mood today."

"Hiya, Koro!" Claire kneeled beside him. Right, I almost forgot we had a puppy running around here!

"Woof, woof!" Koro ran in circles around the two farmers, its ears flopping around erratically.

"What is it, Koro?" Pete asked.

"Maybe he's trying to tell us something!" Claire exclaimed, trying to pet the puppy to no avail.

"Woof, woof!" Koro ran towards the fields, hopping around in one spot beside their planted seeds.

"Do you want us to follow you, Koro?" Pete stood up and walked to the puppy, with Claire following behind.

Koro spun around in place before bowing its head, its nose sniffing the ground with great interest.

Pete stared at the ground, tilting his head at a confused angle. "Do you smell something, Koro?"

"Do you think there's treasure buried under the farm, Pete?" She asked with a wide smile. "What if Koro can smell treasure?!"

"I highly doubt that." He chuckled. Treasure-hunting sounded like a fun activity. But I don't think such valuable treasure would even exist on—...

"Woof!" Koro began pressing its paws, trying to dig the soil beneath it. "Woof, woof!"

"Do you smell treasure, Koro?" Claire's eyes sparked with delight. "I think you do!"