Chapter 28

Lizzie's pov

 Katherine gives a little shrug. "He comes to visit me every week," she says, hugging her knees like a little child. 

She looks so innocent that I almost feel sorry for her.

"He? He who?" my mom asks.

Katherine ponders this question for a moment. "Klaus," she decides. 

I let out a breath of relief. "Okay, so worst case scenario, we're only stuck here for seven days," I say.

"If she's telling the truth," my mom mutters.

I glance her way.

"Oh, come on," my mom says to me. "It's also entirely possible the solitude messed with Katherine's brain and led her to hallucinate these 'visits' from Klaus."

"Mom," I say, as I take her hands, "You're the one who always taught me to look on the positive side of things, remember?"

My mom lets out a little sigh. "I know," she says. "You're right. Of course you are."

She tucks a lock of my golden hair behind my ear and looks into my eyes. "You're a vampire now," she whispers.

"I know," I say quietly.

"Did I ever tell you the story of how I turned?" my mom says, as she leans back against the wall. "Should I tell the story, Katherine, or do you want to?" she calls out to the insane woman trapped in here with us.

Katherine teeters back and forth on the ground as she continues to hug her knees.

"Okay. So I've just been in a car accident," my mom begins, "And things aren't looking too good for me. So your Aunt Bonnie convinces Uncle Damon to feed me some of his blood. And I start to heal. The doctors say everything is in stable condition. I'm all set to leave the hospital the next morning."

"It's the middle of the night. Your Aunt Elena walks in through the door of my hospital room. At least, I think it's her, at first. But then she leans forward and says, 'My name is Katherine.' I stare at her like she's crazy. And then she says the final words I'll ever hear as a human. 'I was hoping you could give the Salvatore brothers a message for me. Game on.' And then, that bitch," my mom points to Katherine, who's hugging her little pebble as tight as she possibly can, "Kills me with a pillow. And that's the story of how I died," my mom finishes.

"Wow," I say.

My mom nods. "So, I shared my story. What's yours? How did Hope kill you?" she asks.

"Um," I say. I'm not sure if it would be the best idea to let her know that I come from a different timeline- a timeline where her husband is dead.

So I decide to go with a different story, instead. "I got my neck snapped," I shrug quickly.

My mom nods. "I know this is hard on you, Lizzie, even if you don't know it yourself," she says. "But when things get tough, try to remember none of this was Hope's fault," she sighs.

"It's not her fault she was born into the Mikaelson household. It's not her fault the people around her raised her to be a monster."

Hope's pov

I'm barely conscious, as I've just stayed up all night listening to Davina's recollection of the past decade and a half.

But I've finally figured everything out. I know why Uncle Kol is dead. After Jeremy Gilbert killed him in Mystic Falls, he was supposed to be reawakened in the body of a witch by my grandmother, Esther. Then Davina was supposed to fall in love with him, and eventually find a way to raise him from the dead.