Chapter 5

He carefully takes my fragile hand in his and rises me from the bed. Sudden dizziness consumes me and I feel my legs wobble. Ryder grabbed my waist and picked me back up from where I was about to fall. My amazement is still on high as I couldn't believe this sweet guy in front of me. I feel like I can trust him with everything, but at the same time I know that I am unworthy of him. I mean come on, I am a piece of trash and he is everyone's dream. I can see him on a white horse, as cliche as it sounds, going up to a beautiful girl to marry her and ride off into the sunset to live happily ever after. I will never be that girl.

Everything about him screams perfect boyfriend material come and get it except Rosa! and I know exactly why I'm not allowed. I would ruin his image and be a burden on him. I have always been a burden to everyone. I was my family's burden for them to feed me and give me a place to stay. I'm the school's burden for them giving me an education. Now I am Ryder's burden for him to take care of me. I hate being a burden and I don't know how to stop it. There's no way I'd kill myself to reduce the burden on everyone. . . who would clean up the mess I leave behind if I was dead. I'm not worthy of being anyone's soul mate or true love. I am to forever live alone and die alone because no matter how much someone tries to convince me I will always be unloved from the day I was born to the day I die, and still no one would care if I was gone.

I shake my head to come out of my thoughts from so long ago. I can't go back to those dark days or I will never be able to move on. It may seem hopeless now, but I hope for one day that my life will be better. Although that is  only a dream that others will kill for the fun of it. Ryder grumbles under his voice and I couldn't catch a word, but I know something has gotten him mad, probably for me being such a responsibility. We continue down the hall until he leads me into a humongous bedroom. It has a 72in plasma screen TV with a DVD player under it. The windows around the room reach from the bottom to the floor to the top of the ceiling except one where it indents out into the open for someone to sit there. I then come across a fully equipped mini fridge with a mini kitchen next to it. I wonder if he likes to cook? There was a dresser in the corner which had 2 small drawers and 2 big cabinet drawers swinging out. Hmm might be a good place to hide and leave. 

Slowly, a plan starts to form in my head and hopefully I can leave tonight. The best part is I figured out 2 plans! I just hope that the first plan works otherwise it will take a miracle to pull off what I will be planning.  In the middle of the room was a king sized bed with a mini nightstand next to it with a lamp and an alarm clock. I look at the time and see that it is 6:30. I start to freak out and you're probably wondering what's going on, but it is a long story that still scares me. My eyes wander over to the window to see that it is already getting dark. By the reactions of Ryder so far he will go ballistic if I walk home alone late. 

"I really have to get going," Ryder's head immediately turns in my direction and he looks frustrated. I guess he doesn't like the idea of me going home. Why would he care though? I'm just gonna leave, it's not like I can leave this place. No one is out there to care for me and I don't want to be useless or a burden on anyone.

"It's getting dark out, maybe you should stay here for the night." I start to worry that I might to stay and try to do the impossible. Instead I think of the fastest thing and the biggest lie I could think of.

"I promised my mom I would be home after school the day I got knocked out. Since it has been a few days from now and she is probably freaking out. Thanks for everything and maybe you will realize how much of a burden I am. Bye." I start to walk out on him, but he grabbed my hand and spun me into his chest hugging me tightly.

"You're not a burden and I will talk to you more about this tomorrow, but please if you can't stay at least let me drive you home."

"My mom is very pushy and persistent and if she sees your car driving me home she will give me hell until I tell her. Please trust me and let me walk home." He debated a little and I saw that I was losing the battle, so I thought quickly and hoped he will buy it.

"Before I leave I want to do something, but not while your eyes are open. Can you close them for me and if I don't give you the thing in 30 seconds then you can open your eyes." He sighs, but does what I say. He closes his eyes waiting for me to give him something. 

I turn to the door and start to go to the door. It is already open so when I squeeze out the door, as quietly as I can I run.