Best Friends

Niall and Layla can hear the loud argument from their friends' flat as soon as they step into the hallway. For a second Niall thinks they're on the wrong floor, but Layla can swear she's doubled checked the number on the lift button before pressing it.

"Did we just go back in time or are they actually fighting?" Niall questions worriedly as they're approaching the flat.

"I'm pretty sure Harry's done something stupid again." Layla shrugs then rings the bell. The voices inside stop once they hear that sound, and the couple open the door not so long after that with upsetting looks on both of their faces.

"Wow, who died?" Layla jokes when they invite her inside. Niall follows right behind.

As the two couples stop in the center of the living room, Harry puts both hands on his hips then glares at his girlfriend, who's having her arms crossed and biting her bottom lip to keep her composure.

"She lost the promise ring," Harry speaks up in a bitter tone.

Y/N has to correct him right away, "by accident! He's just overreacting."

"Overreacting?" Harry lets go a sarcastic laugh then nods his head towards his two friends. "Tell them who you were with when you lost the ring?"

"Seriously H?"

"She was with Ethan," Harry answers for Y/N anyway. "And also, how did you lost it Y/N?"

Y/N gives Niall and Layla a shrug. "I'm not even sure that's how I lost it—"

"Ethan asked her if he could take a closer look at it, so she took it off!" Once again, Harry cuts her off. "I mean, who the fuck takes off their boyfriend's ring just because another guy asks them too? Oh! This lady right here!" Harry points both of his forefingers at his girlfriend who immediately swats his hands away in annoyance.

"I was only with Ethan because he paid me to tutor him!" Y/N raises both hands to defend herself. "And I remember clearly that I put the ring on right after he returned it to me!"

"Sure."

"Are you calling me a liar, Harry?"

"Guys!" Layla shouts, shutting up the couple immediately. They both turn to stare at her, and so does her boyfriend Niall, who's been awfully quiet this whole time.

"I know this makes me sound like a hypocrite because Niall and I yell at each other almost everyday—"

"True," Niall adds in with a serious look on his face.

"—but don't you think instead of arguing you should just go ask Ethan if he knows where the ring is?"

"I can't go see that bloke without wanting to punch him in the face," Harry growls, causing Y/N's eyes to roll upward.

"See? It's all about his jealousy with Ethan."

"At least I never have a private study session with another girl."

"Private?! We were in the library surrounded by other people! And you have friends that are girls, whom I never complain about because I know that's all they are to you."

Y/N looks away and mutters under her breath, still it's loud enough for everyone in the flat to hear, "it's just a stupid ring anyway."

"What did you just say?" Harry squints his eyes and takes a step closer to his girl. Layla opens her mouth to defend her friend but Niall holds her back.

Y/N takes a glance at Harry, her expression softens once she sees how mad he is. She knows what she said was wrong but she has no idea why she doesn't apologize like she should. Is she scared or is she just too proud?