Chapter 27 - "There's a first time for everything."

Edison took them to the food store, but kept their final goal a secret, only telling Kit the first step was to buy anything that could go in a sandwich. Kit thrived on mysteries and excitement and together, they ran around the store in a flurry, grabbing anything and everything.

Nothing was left unquestioned. Salami? Yes! Chips? Why not! Goldfish crackers? Kit-Kat bars? It could be good, and it all went into their basket. 

They rolled the truck windows down as they left downtown behind and headed out of Lighthouse Point. The sun was beginning to set and the sky was turning pink.

Kit rested her arms on the car door and her chin on her arms. With the wind in her hair and Edison at the wheel, she would be content to drive as far as the road would let them. 

But their drive came to an end, and it ended at the base of a water tower. Kit's excitement returned as she got out and looked up at the tall structure. It had spindly legs that rose eighty feet into the air with a doughnut shaped water tank on top. It was all white with a hint of pink from the setting sky. Edison grabbed her around the waist and led her towards it, a backpack with their groceries slung over his shoulder.

"It's a good thing you aren't scared of heights," he said, playfully.

She kept her gaze skyward, letting him lead her and she saw their intended destination. Running along the perimeter of water tank was a railing and she assumed a big enough ledge for them to sit.

Her eyes trailed down the legs and found a ladder running along one of them. She got a jolt of nerves as she took in the height and took an involuntary skip as she walked.

"Are you up for this?" he asked, when they reached the base of the ladder. She smirked at his pun and stepped onto the bottom rung. 

The height of the water tower from the ground view had been misleading, and Kit grew short of breath halfway up. What had started as eager steps, turned slow as she continued the vertical climb.

Halfway up, she looked down. Her stomach felt like it might drop the forty feet to the ground and every nerve in her body felt electrified. She took a deep, steadying breath and continued, finding comfort in the sound of Edison's heavy breathing behind her. 

When they reached the top, she pulled herself up onto the platform and sat a few minutes, catching her breath. Edison waited for her to make the first move. When she finally stood, she did so slowly. She flattened her back against the water tower, seeking security in the solid wall and looked out. 

The view was spectacular. The timing was perfect, and they caught the sunset at its brightest. The sun was just meeting the horizon and the sky was electric shades of orange and pink. The bright colors bled onto the tips of the trees and roofs of Lighthouse Point, turning the whole world bright colors. 

Kit was mesmerized by the sight, all her thoughts fading away as she took in the painted view before her. She'd seen sunsets over breathtaking views before, but there was something about the wonder of the sky mixing with the simplicity of the small town roofs she found enchanting. 

Edison took a few steps up to the railing running along the edge of the ledge and broke her out of her daydream. He reached his hand back to her and their current height came rushing back as her eyes focused on the few feet in front of her.

She took his hand and her stomach dropped as she took the first, tentative step towards him. Her nerves betrayed her in the tightness of her grip on his hand as he led her closer to the edge. 

"Are you nervous?" he asked, teasingly. 

"Of course," she responded. When she reached him, she wrapped both hands around his arm and leaned into him for security. "But it's what people do in the face of fear that define them."