Chapter 14 - "You're not that important Reigns."

Kit wasn't surprised to find her spot next to Edison had been taken by a group of girls when she returned. There were two squished on either side of him. Edison seemed to be in his element as he spoke, the girls giving him their full attention. But Kit thought he looked better when he was giving her puzzled looks.

The girls pretended not to notice Kit's approach but she noticed their effort to not look at her. When Edison noticed her, he stopped mid-story, realizing, for what seemed like the first time, the girls had taken Kit's place.

"Oh no! Did we take your spot?" one of the girls next to Edison asked. She sounded apologetic but she made no attempt to move.

"Oops!" another girl said, barely keeping the gleeful laugh out of her voice.

"Don't worry about it," Kit smiled. She took a seat at Edison's feet. "I'll just sit here."

Edison continued his story and she lowered her skewer over the flames once more. Kit burned her second set of marshmallows and tried a third time. After a minute they were charred on the outside and still cold on the inside but she pulled them out and slid them into a graham cracker with chocolate. She knew if she kept cooking them, they would join their fellow marshmallows in their fiery grave.

Edison was reluctant in handing over the perfect s'more he had made. Melted chocolate and marshmallows seeped out of the sides of the cracker sandwich. Kit grabbed it quickly before he could change his mind and handed him her cold s'more with hard chocolate and burned marshmallows.

The first bite she took was a perfect combo of rich, messy sweetness and some of the gooey mess got on her cheek.

"Delicious!" she said, wiping her cheek with the back of her hand.

Edison roughly chewed and grimaced. "I think that is the worst s'more I've ever tasted," he complained. "I don't think it could even be called a s'more. Just chocolate, graham cracker and marshmallow smashed together."

All the girls made sympathetic sounds and one offered to make him a better one but Kit just laughed.

"I know. I'm really horrible at making s'mores, aren't I?" she said proudly. He gave her an annoyed look that only made her laugh more.

"I'm really good at making s'mores. Everyone usually wants me to make them one," one of the girls boasted. "I can make you one Eddie."

"Aww, that's so nice," Kit said, her honey sweet tone mocking.

She took another bite and smiled at Edison.

"Thanks, Liz but it's fine," he said. "I don't really need the calories anyways."

All the girls protested loudly, praising Edison's great physique, but Kit knew he had only said it to make her feel guilty for eating her whole s'more. She looked at him boldly, gave him a cheeky grin and ate the rest of her s'more in one bite.

The girls praise went unanswered as he gave Kit a leveled look. She had to work hard to finish her bite before she started to laugh. Edison tried to hold onto his annoyance but she playfully poked his side.

He jumped. He tickled her beneath her arms and she jumped, laughing loudly.

He chuckled as she jumped up to her feet, ready for another round, but the girls stepped in before that could happen. Someone had turned up the music and everyone jumped up excitedly, like the song was some kind of cue to celebrate.

"OHEMGEE!!!" the girls squealed. "It's the air band song!"

Kit looked around in confusion as everyone seemed to be reacting the same way. The crowd around the table had move to an open space on the sand and the crowd around the fire joined them. The girls dragged Edison with them.