Chapter 1 - "The girls weren't lying about you."

Gravel crunched quietly as Kit lightly crossed the driveway. The sole front porch light cast her willowy shadow behind her as she crept closer to the house. Her footsteps turned mute as she stepped onto the grass. The large two story house before her was dark. A few feet away, she stooped down and grabbed a few pebbles. She rolled them in her hand as she counted windows. Second story, third from the right. She held her breath and let the first pebble fly.

One, tap.

Two, tap.

Three, tap.

All three pebbles hit their mark. She stepped back and watched for any movement behind the window. She took a step forward to release three more pebbles when a shadow of a person appeared in the window.

She smiled and motioned for the person to join her outside. The person didn't move. She motioned again. Again, no movement. Kit pulled out her phone and quickly typed out a message and sent it.

"Rapunzel, Rapunzel let down your hair."

She watched as the shadow in the window was illuminated by a phone screen. It was just enough light to reveal dark eyes, a strong jaw and messy hair. She smiled as the window was raised.

"Well, this is a first," a husky voice said.

"Really? With that glorious head of hair I imagined you got compared to Repunzel often."

The porch light revealed a shadow of a smile on the guy's face. "Thanks, but whatever you're offering I'm not interested."

"You don't even know what I'm offering," she said. "I want waffles."

There was a silent pause.

"Do I look like a diner?" the guy said.

"No, but you seem like good company," she said. 

"You don't even know me."

"You're Edison Reigns, everyone knows you."

"My mom told me never to get into a car with a stranger," he mockingly argued.

Kit smirked. "She sounds like a smart woman. I guess it's a good thing I brought my moped."

A slow grin spread across Edison's face. He shook his head like he knew he was about to make a mistake. "I'll be down in a minute," he said.

Kit smiled at the surprised look on Edison's face when he found her resting against her moped.

"I thought you were joking," he said, eyeing the powder blue scooter.

"I would never joke about a moped," Kit said. She handed him a helmet.

"I'm not wearing that," he said. He crossed his arms.

"Safety first," she said. She offered him the helmet again.

He shook his head.

"Are you really going to come this far and turn back because of a helmet?" she asked.

He eyed the helmet warily before he took it.

"Don't worry," she said, climbing on the moped. "The diners only a few blocks away and it's three in the morning. No one's going to see you."

She bit back a smile when she turned and found him with the helmet on. It was round and dorky but somehow he was able to still looking charming and poised.

"Hop on," she said.

"Why can't I drive?" he asked.

"Have you ever driven one of these before?"