Chapter 13 - "Did I distract you?"

The wounds from Kit's fall went unnoticed as she and her team celebrated their victory. Jaxon was at her side a minute after her victorious shout. He and the rest of the team hoisted her on their shoulders as they chanted her name. They carried her to the beach, while she proudly waved the other team's flag in triumph.

When they finally put her down, and Edison was able to push through the celebrating mob around her, he noticed her scraped hands. He pulled her from the group and, in her excitement, she followed along with energy for another adventure. But he only led her to his truck, made her sit on the tailgate and pulled out his first aid box.

"Ouch," she hissed, as he cleaned her wounds. She tried to pull her hand from his grasp but he kept a tight hold on it.

"Hold still," he instructed. He had a band aid between his teeth and his words came out mumbled.

"Stop making it hurt," she shot back.

"I have to clean it."

"Clean it, smlean it. I'll just rinse it in some water and it'll be fine." She couldn't keep her legs from bouncing and she wanted to get back to the party she could hear happening down by the water.

"These scrapes could get infected," he argued back. 

A silly grin spread across her face and she leaned in close him.

"You're pretty cute when you play lifeguard," she said.

"I'm not playing," he said, before all her words landed.

Then a smug smile pulled at the corner of his lips and he worked hard to remain serious. Kit's warm laugh rang out but she held still as she let him clean her hands. She sucked in a sharp breath as he continued to wipe the scraps and his movements became gentler.

"Sorry," he said. "Your knee is also scraped and your pants are ripped." He held up her leg to show the small tear at the knee. 

She looked at it for a moment before she threw her head back dramatically, her hand to her forehead.

"How bad is it, doc? Are you gonna have to take the whole leg?" she cried.

"I'm afraid so. And your right arm," he said, making his voice deep and gruff. 

She flashed him a bright smile before getting back into character.

"A small price to pay for victory," she said. She looked back when she didn't get a response and found a pinched grimace on his face. 

"Did you eat something sour or is it just the bitter taste of losing?" she asked.

She chuckled at the annoyed look he gave her.

"You should be nicer. I am the one bandaging you up," he said. "And you told me you weren't really into the game, liar."

"I did not lie," she argued back.

"Yes, you did. You said it was more of Jaxon's thing when you were trying to distract me."

"I said Jaxon gets really into the game. I never said I didn't."

"But you implied."

"And you assumed." They stared each other down, neither ready to give in. Edison finally pursed his lips and dropped her gaze.

"Did it work?" she said.

"What?" he asked.

"Did I distract you?" She dropped her voice down to a sultry level and leaned in. 

He gave her a bored look.

"Not for a second," he said. He returned to the matter at hand. "I'm not sure how to dress the scrap on your knee with out tearing your pants more."