Chapter 7 - "You're jealous."

"This is Edison in fifth grade. The photographer tried to get him to put down the football, but he refused," Edison's mom said.

Kit smiled down at Edison's youthful face. He hadn't grown into his jaw yet and his cheeks looked like he was storing up food for the winter.

"This is from sixth grade when he was allowed to join the football team. He was happier than a kid on Christmas," his mom said. Edison was wearing a football jersey. There was a football tucked under his arm and he had the widest smile on his face.

"I had to force him out of that jersey once a week in order to wash it," she said. "If it had been up to him, I never would have washed it."

Kit chuckled at the logic of a junior high boy.

"Would you like some more tea?" Edison's mom asked.

"That would be great. Thank you," Kit said, handing over her mug.

Edison's mom moved to the tea pot as Kit continued to flip through Edison's school pictures at their kitchen counter.

"I know Edison is friendly," his mom said. "And I've picked up that he is popular with the girls, but it's been a while since one has been at the house."

This didn't surprise Kit, especially knowing the nature of Edison's relationships.

"Well, thanks for inviting me in," she said.

Edison's mom returned to the counter and handed Kit the mug of tea.

"You're welcome. It's nice to put a face to the people my son is hanging out with," she said. "And speaking of, I should go and see if he is stirring at all. He closed at the resort last night so he got in late. But I don't want you waiting too long."

"You really don't have to," Kit said. "I can come back later."

Edison's mom was just insisting she wake him when they heard footsteps on the stairs.

"Do I smell bacon?" Edison's sleepy voice called from outside the kitchen.

"Morning honey. You're finally awake," his mom said.

"It was a late night."

He rubbed his eyes as he walked into the kitchen shirtless. He kissed his mom on the cheek and froze when he spotted Kit.

"I really should talk to your boss and tell him he can't keep you so late," his mom said.

"Yeah, it sounds rough," Kit smiled, knowing their gondola ride was the culprit.

"Kit," Edison said. He just stared at her.

"Morning!" she said.

"What are you doing here?" he asked.

"Honey, manners," his mom whispered. "She came by to pick you up. She kindly let you sleep and listened to me talk."

"Pick me up?" he questioned.

"For that thing," Kit said. "At the school," she continued when he continued to look confused.

"Maybe I should talk to your boss about taking you off nights," his mom said. "The lack of sleep seems to be messing with your memory."

"No, it's fine," Edison said, finally moving.

He grabbed a mug and filled it with coffee. He gave Kit a skeptical look.

"How soon do we need to leave for this thing?" he asked.

"Whenever you're ready," she said. "Your mom pulled out some of your photo albums so I have all the entertainment I need."