Chapter 15 - "Adventure is brewing!"

The next day, Kit woke to dark, ominous clouds outside her window. She usually wished rainy days away, but she hadn't returned home the night before until well into the early morning and she felt lazy. The rainy day seemed to tell her to sleep in and do nothing. She wrapped her blankets around herself and snuggled down, watching the puffy, gray clouds race across the sky.

She remained in her cocoon for a minute or two before her legs began to twitch. Her normal antsy energy began to spread from her toes to her ears and the blankets began to feel hot and suffocating. Throwing them off, she jumped up and began to lightly bounce on her bed as she searched her computer for a good wake up song. 

She played one, hoping the beat would be strong enough to tell the clouds to take their sleepy morning elsewhere. But her hoping came to nothing when she stepped out of the shower twenty minutes later and found rain pouring down.

She was throwing on clothes when she heard the front door bang open. "Kit-Kat!" Jaxon sang out operatically.

"Jaxon!" she sang back, heading downstairs. 

"Cousin, the sky doth cry, its bitter tears dashing my plans." He flung out his arms dramatically. 

"Oh how it doth!" she said.

"Woe is me!" He flung himself down on the bottom steps. 

She laughed, messing with his hair as she passed him on the stairs. She headed for the kitchen and after a moment, he picked up his dramatic self and followed. "This stupid rain ruined my swim practice."

"Curse the skies. Literally," she grinned. She opened her fridge, shut it when she didn't find any food, and moved on to the cabinets."What are we going to do?"

"Extreme golf?" he suggested. But as he spoke, lightening darted across the sky, quickly followed by rumbling thunder. His expression fell, "well that's out."

"Don't fear!" she cheered. "Onto plan B." She brushed past him, leaving the kitchen.

"Kit-Kat, you know I live without a plan B."

"Fine. Stay here and wait for Plan A. I'm going to the grocery store." 

She reached the front door just as there was a knock. She gave Jaxon a questioning look and he shrugged. She opened the door and found Edison, huddled under the small overhang, trying to stay dry. 

"Hey," she said, as he hurried inside. 

He carelessly ran his hand through his damp hair. "Hey."

"I thought you had to work today," Jaxon said.

He looked out the open door at the pouring rain. It beat against the driveway, creating a low pounding rhythm. "Surprisingly, the resort sent me home."

"This my favorite time to swim," Kit said. 

Edison smiled. "I don't doubt it."

"You got the day off?" Jaxon asked. 

"Yup. What are you guys doing?"

"I'm going on an adventure," Kit said. "And Jaxon is waiting on plan A."

Edison looked between them. "Whats plan A?"

"Waiting for the storm to stop," Kit said. Jaxon crossed his arms obstinately, as if she hadn't done his plan justice. 

"And your adventure?" Edison asked her. 

"The food store." 

He nodded slowly, mulling the idea over. "I don't know what the food stores are like in all the places you've traveled, but here at Lighthouse Point, they are basic and boring."