Chapter 18 - "Don't worry, I don't scare easily."

Edison's mom smiled and greeted Kit when she knocked on their front door. It was still early in the day and sun's heat hadn't reached its full potential.

"Kit, come on in," she said. Edison looked a lot like her, except she smiled more and her smile didn't seem to be hiding anything, like his usually did. "Is it just you?" She looked outside to check before shutting the door. "I had the whole football team showing up all day yesterday to make sure Edison hadn't died," she chuckled. "But you are the first one today."

"It's just me," Kit said. "So, is Edison still alive or did he die of a sprained ankle?"

His mom laughed. "He is alive and well, but I can't attest to what kind of mood he is in. He hasn't been able to get around since he got home from the fair. He had to call out of work yesterday and today. I'm warning you, he might be in a bad mood."

Kit shrugged and smiled. "Don't worry, I don't scare easily. I also brought a peace offering; Al's waffles."

"That might do the trick. He is up in his room if you want to give him a chance. It's the second door on the right." She nodded towards the stairs.

"Thanks," Kit said, heading for the stairs.

She climbed them quickly, her shoes slapping against the wood. As she passed the first door, she heard a few young girls talking. Edison hadn't told her he had younger siblings.

She knocked sharply on the second door, but didn't receive any response. She knocked again, before she cracked the door open. Something thudded against the other side and she heard him mumble some complaint. She slowly opened the door further and another object hit it.

"Annie, I told you to leave me alone. I don't want to play with your dolls," he called out.

Kit pushed the door completely open and ducked as a third shoe was hurled in her direction. Edison didn't even bother looking to see who had entered his room. He was laying on his stomach on his bed, facing away from the door, typing on his phone.

She rested against the doorjamb and crossed her arms. "Are you sure you don't want to play with dolls? It can be really fun?"

He sat up sharply at the sound of her voice and turned. She smiled and waved. His faced jumped through a few emotions at the sight of her until it landed in a glower.

"I can see your mood has only improved," she joked.

"What do you want?" he asked.

He sat up, and she could see his ankle was still bandaged.

"The moon, a horse, to live forever." He gave her a stony look. "But I guess I can settle with hanging out with you."

"I didn't ask you to come over."

"I know. I'm just that nice." She cleared a few things from his desk and sat on it, curling her legs up beneath her. His room had the typical teenage boy décor and messiness. "I also brought you waffles from Al's, so that makes me doubly nice. You really should be happier to see me."

He pulled the corners of his mouth back into a flat smile. The result was painful looking. He held it for a minute, then his face dropped back down into a scowl.

"Fine. I'll eat the waffles then," she said. "I've always been a fan of second breakfasts." She pulled the Styrofoam box out of the bag and the air was filled with a warm, sweet smell.

He perked up and eyed the waffles hungrily.

"Your mom said you had a lot of visitors yesterday," she said. She dipped a piece of waffle into some syrup and took a bite. "Where is everyone today?"