Chapter Five

Asher

One of the funny things about my last name, Blame, is that it suited me perfectly. Why? Because I literally got blamed for everything. Every single problem that happens that I know of somehow all leads up to me.

  As you can probably tell, that gets quite annoying.

  I’m only seventeen and I know that my series of getting blamed for everything is not quite done yet.

 After Ronnie and my bus arrived in the town, she grabbed my wrist and practically dragged me through the town. We bumped into people, who looked quite annoyed with us. I said apologized every time we hit someone, but I never got the chance to look them in the eye because Ronnie was running so dang wildly fast.

  She finally halted to a stop, which made her dirty hiking boots squeak a little bit, once we arrived in front of a little building. It was made of dark brown brick and over the door there was a sign that said ‘The Caffeine Bean’ with a little anime coffee bean next it.

   Ronnie pushed on the revolving door, which brought us into the café. It had beige and green checkered tiles and forest green walls. There were around ten tables around the little restaurant. In the front was a desk covered with plates with mouth-watering pastries and behind it were two teenagers with uniforms that matched the floor.

  Ronnie led me to a table by a window where we both sat down. It felt good to finally be able to stop moving, because today was the day that I realized that Converse high-tops aren’t your best shoe choice if you’re going to be running all over the city.

  “Okay, tell me more,” She ordered.

  My eyes grew wide and I backed away from her a little bit in my chair. “I’m sorry, but you just made me go on a half an hour long bus-ride, you made me run all throughout the town, you dragged me into this café and now you want me to talk? I don’t even know what I have to talk about!” I complained.

  She held up her hands, which I noticed were full of calluses. “Okay, look, I’m sorry.” Her eyes met mine; it was like looking into my own. “It’s just; you said you were adopted, right?”

  “Well, I said something along those lines from what I remember.”

  She smiled at me and rested her head on hers hands, which she had now clenched. “And I told you that I was adopted. Care to discuss?”

  I fiddled with the fork that was on the table. I was never asked any questions about my adoption because, well, no one really knew about it. I guess I was never comfortable about the fact of me being adopted. Of course, I had gotten used to it over the years, but it’s just now when I was asked to let it all out, I really didn’t know what to say.

  “Asher?” Ronnie said. I realized that I had looked up at the ceiling without knowing it, so I forced myself to look back at her. “Are you gonna tell me, or not?”

  Just then, one of the two teenagers that were at the desk came over to us. He had a notepad in his hand, and a pen in the other. “Hey guys, can I get you anything?”

  “I’ll have a latte, with extra whip cream and chocolate,” Ronnie told him. She then looked at me and smirked. “He’ll have the same.”

  I raised an eyebrow as the waiter left. “How do you know I even like lattes?” I wondered.

  She leaned back in her chair and she placed her hands on the back of her head. “Everyone likes the lattes from the Caffeine Bean. You’ll thank me later.”

  I bit my tongue to keep myself from replying with some remark.

  I started drumming my fingers on the table, and then the boy came back with two large glasses filled with coffee. On top of each was a huge scoop of white creamy whip cream and swirling around it was chocolate sauce. Sticking out of the drink was a cinnamon straw. Okay, that crap looked good.

  The drinks were placed in front of us, and then the waiter was off. Ronnie took out her cinnamon straw and chewed it happily. I decided to use mine to drink out of, I knew that if I didn’t once I went to drink the latte, I’d have a new whip cream beard.

  I slurped the drink and my eyes grew wide as the caffeine filled my body. This was beyond awesome.

  “You like it, don’t you?” Ronnie asked me with a smile on her face as she realized my huge eyes. I was drinking this thing at light speed, that’s how good it was.

  I nodded my head. I stopped myself so I would be able to make the drink last a little bit. I backed away from it and ruffled my hair. “If I could bring one thing with me the day I die, I would definitely bring this drink.”

  She laughed and then she put the drink to her lips, since she had decided not to use the straw, once she took the cup away from her mouth, whip cream was all over her chin.

  “I feel as if I can’t have a conversation with you if you don’t have something on your face,” I told her.

  “Oh!” She exclaimed. She wiped her bottom lip, which only got rid of maybe a speck of the mess on her face. “Did I get it?”

  I laughed. Since she made me run throughout the whole town, I decided it was time to get a little bit of revenge. “Yeah, Ronnie, you got it.”

  “Well,” She said. “Now that I have introduced you to Heaven in a cup, you have to tell me about you.”

  I really wasn’t in the mood, so to make things difficult, I said to her, “Not until you tell me about you.

  “Touché,” She replied. “I guess I will.”

  She cleared her throat and took one more sip of her drink, which created an even bigger mess on her face. “Well, when I was younger my parents gave me up; don’t ask me why, because I ask myself that question all the time? Why would someone as awesome as me be given up?” I chuckled at her joke, so did she. “Well, from then I’ve been tossed from foster home to foster home, but no one has ever wanted to actually adopt me. When I was eleven, I was almost adopted by this family, but weeks before they were going to sign the forms and all that, they got in this huge car crash, so that was the end of that… Anyway, so now I’m with this family, the Messer’s, and they’re pretty cool I guess.” She looked at me with narrowed eyes. “You’re turn, Asher.”

  I took a deep breath, and started my story.

********************************************************************************************

Yaaaaay! New chapter! Well, that one was fun to write!! Heehee, I love Asher, especially because he's portrayed by Damian McGinty!!! Haha

PS: Even though Damian is Irish, Asher is supposed to have an American accent. So, use your imagination :)

Now, the song of this chapter is... Iris by The Googoo Dolls, one of my favorite songs awhile back and I was re-united with it last night (Thanks Julia!)

Thanks so much for reading!!! Please comment, vote or whatever! And does anyone have a favorite character yet? If so, please tell! ;)

Thanks so much for reading!!! :D

-830freckles