Chapter Thirteen

Ronnie

Okay, I honestly had no idea that the fact of me being adopted had to come with so much drama. Once I found out myself, I figured that that was it. The people I live with aren’t exactly my own parents. There you go. Live with it. But I’m Ronnie Messer, it can’t be that easy. No, of course not! I have to live with all of the big, dramatic consequences now.

  And trust me, it’s not exactly what you would call “fun”.

  I arrived at my house, did my homework in lightning speed and then I leapt onto my bed. I took out my cellphone that I had gotten for my seventeenth birthday and I dialed Asher’s number, which he had given to me awhile back.

  I wanted more information about what was happening with this woman calling him, but I couldn’t get any at all. All Asher knew was that there was  an old woman who had called him to talk about that baby picture of him that we had posted around town. She had told him that the baby in the picture was her grandson, Asher.

  With every ring, I became more and more anxious. He had to pick up, and if he didn’t I would literally kill him at school tomorrow. Finally, I heard him say, “Hello?”

  “Asher!” I practically screamed. I then lowered my voice, not wanting anyone to hear me. “Asher, dude, what the heck is happening?”

  “Ronnie?” He wondered.

  “Yes it’s Ronnie!” I cried, completely annoyed. I couldn’t stand waiting anymore. He had to tell me what in the world was happening. “What’s up with this crazy old lady?!”

  Somehow, I could sense that he was shrugging his shoulders. “Well, I guess what she’s saying is true. The woman is my grandma.”

  “What?!” I screeched. “Just because she says she’s your grandmother it doesn’t mean it’s true! It could just be another stupid prank!”

  “Ronnie,” He said slowly. “I called the lady once I got home. Once I called her, I asked her if she knew any Ethan’s and she said no.”

  I couldn’t help but laugh at that. After a second of chuckling though, I realized what in the world I was doing. This here was not a laughing matter! “Well then, what else did she say to you?”

  “The chick said that I was her grandson that was given up for adoption when I was a toddler,” He replied. “No one else knows that besides my parents, you, me and Avery. I have to believe her.”

  I groaned. I couldn’t believe that he believed all of this crap. I bet you that this was all some lucky guess that this lady was having! Some very, very, very lucky guess...

  “Ronnie…” Asher then said very quietly and carefully. I didn’t know what was going on now, but the kid sounded like he was going to burst into tears in the next minute or so. “There’s only one way to find out if this is all true.”

  “And how’s that?”

  “I think I need to tell my parents that I know about me being adopted…” He responded.

  My jaw immediately dropped. I honestly had no idea how someone is supposed to do that. I know for a fact that it’s usually hard enough for a parent to tell their child that has loved them their whole life that they’re adopted… but how is the child supposed to tell their parents this? It’s not like you could just one day say to them, “Hey mom, hey dad… I know I’m adopted! So no worries, you don’t have to tell me!”

  I shook my head to get out of my own thoughts. “Asher, how are you going to do this?!”

  I tightened my grip on my phone as he went into deep detail in what he was going to do. Supposedly he was going to drop the bomb on his parents tonight that he knew about the big adoption scandal. It’s not like they could be mad at him for saying this, so he’d then go into detail of what he knew and what he wanted to know about his past life. His parents had to know who his real parents were, so he would ask for information about them.

  “And maybe,” He finished off once he completed his explanation of his plan. “If my adoptive parents know where I could find my real parents… well then perhaps I can meet them.”

  I couldn’t help it. My hand opened up, making my phone drop out of my hands. Realizing what I had done, I then grabbed my phone from my bed, which it had dropped on. Once everything was “under control” I screamed into the phone, “Asher Blame, are you out of you right mind?! You can’t just go meet you real parents!”

  “Why not?” He asked me, the tone of his voice proving that he completely disagreed with my own words.

  “Because!” I responded, my voice still raised. I slowly counted to three in my head to calm myself down. I then flopped down on my bed, my head hitting my pillow. “What if you get attached to your parents Ash?”

  “Is there a problem with that?”

  “Yes!” I couldn’t believe what he was saying. Sometimes boys just didn’t make sense. “Yes Asher, there is a problem with that! Because I hope you know that you can’t just go back running into their arms. They gave you up for adoption for a reason.”

  “But Ronnie!” Asher was started to sound angry himself now. “What if the reason they gave me up was because they were low on money or something?!”

   “Maybe that could be true.” I closed my eyes, preparing for what I had to tell him now. “Or maybe it’s the complete opposite.”

  “What’s that supposed to mean?!”

  “It means that maybe they didn’t want you!” I cried exhaustedly.

  Everything was silent between us for a long minute. That one minute though… it felt like eternity. Maybe it would have been better if I had kept my thoughts to myself… I mean, I knew that Asher was going through a really tough time right now! But of course, me being Ronnie Messer, I had to ruin everything and make it all worse.

  After another eternity/minute, Asher said to me, “I gotta go… I have another call.”

  And somehow I just knew it was over between my friendship with Asher Blame.

***************************************************************************************************

A few things I must say:

1. HAPPY NEW YEAR AND LATE MERRY CHRISTMAS! :D I hope 2012 is awesome for all of you! 

2. I am so sorry that I haven't updated in such a long time! It's just I was with my family and everything during the holidays! I had a great Christmas though, did you guys? Tell me all about it!

3. What'd you think of this chapter?! A little depressing, I know, but everything is fair in love and war... even though there is no love and war in this book! Never mind! Tell me what you think by commenting or voting! It'd make my year awesome!

4. The song of the chapter is Hurts Like Heaven by Coldplay. I have an obsession with them and I wil probably be seeing them in concert soon! I'm so excited! Hey, here's a question, what's your favorite song? :D

Thanks so much for reading!

-830freckles