72

72

Kaya’s POV.

“Kaya,” Kade’s voice halts, his throat unable to complete whatever sentence his brain has conjured before the wave of my power hits him in the stomach with a glow of gold from my lenses.

He coughs out blood and looks down to the ground, shocked by it. From my sides, Kieran and Kyle run over, and I smirk, knowing this time around their speed has no effect on me.

I’m going to have the last smile. Hastily, I draw their life force with a muttering of incoherent words that spills from my lips, mumbling them so lowly that it is almost like a whisper.

I have connected deeply with my witch side, and my anger has forced her to accompany my plans. I’m drawing the life force of the triplets and raising my hands into the air; the three of them fly into the air.

As they hang midair, they scream out in pain. I’m sharing all my emotions with them. All my pains. As much as it hurts me as well, my body has felt it before, so it can’t hurt me as much as it would. Their shrill is a joy that I’ve always learned for and always wanted within me, and now that I’m achieving it, my stomach bubbles with blues.

My lips spread as my laughter crackles into the air, enforcing more of the effect so that their bones crunch as more of their life force is sucked by my magic.

My body is illuminating with the radiance of my powers, flourishing from inside me to the outside.

“How does it feel to be powerless?” I shout at the triplets as I strengthen my power, draining more of their life force, and they wail more.

Their skin has become cold, and their lips have cracked. “How does it feel to know that I have the button to either choose life or death for you?” I continue with more anger inside me, “how does it feel to know that you have nothing against me?” Tears form under my eyelids as I listen to their pain. It reminds me a lot of myself.

“Kaya, please, listen...”

“Enough of that. You can’t stop me, so you’d use words against me? It can’t work. I’ve changed. You changed me. And this is what you’ve made me. This is the monster you made, and what do you think it would do if not to stab you in the back?!” My voice is a scream at the top of my lungs. I’m annoyed at everything, much more at the fact that there are even my mates yet they have decided to destroy me.

I’m angry at the universe itself for giving me such mates. I am a witch; how could I have been merged with such monsters? It’s unbelievable. Why? Why did I have to go through such torment if not because life wanted me to be evil? Now that I’ve grown to become one, why do I feel like this isn’t me? Like, this isn’t what I wanted?

My thoughts made me lose attention, but only for a brief moment before my ears picked up on Jared, coming at me from behind. Quickly, I turn to my back and command the ground to swallow up Jared, just up to his hips.

Right then, I hear the triplets groaning, already gaining strength. Kieran, on the other hand, has pointed his index finger to his forehead, and if there’s anything I’ve learned about that motive, it’s to call guards.

My eyes flare when Kyle hurries to the wall and snatches off a rigid, spherical ball that he throws in front of me.

The frown on my face soon changes into a bright smile when I see that nothing is happening. I spread my hands out again, this time wanting to crush their hearts and be done once and for all—yes, I am actually ready to be lost in that world of murder. I am ready to be a monster, too. I am willing to be lost in that world of darkness forever and never wish to be out of it.

But then the air explodes right into my face, sending me off to the end of the wall. Hitting against the wall, my head aches with so much pain that I tightly shut my eyes.

When I open my eyes, I can’t really see well. There’s smoke everywhere, but I’m ready to cast a spell at any sudden attack since I can’t see much. Until, suddenly, a hand pulls me out of the smoke, and I’m about to mutter a spell when I see that it’s Olivia.

“We have to leave. The guards are coming.”

“But...” I want to stop her, letting her know that I haven’t accomplished my goal, but she cuts me off by saying.

“Time remains, and the universe isn’t ending tomorrow, Kaya. We would make another plan. You’ve done excellent work already. I never even expected you to go this far. You’ve allowed nothing to stop you. Now, we must hurry.” As she quickens to tell, I nod my head and then scan the area.

I see that the triplets too are weakened from my attack, right before we made our way out of the throne room.

Hurriedly, we’ve swiftly weaved past the guards, but they are trailing behind us. I can feel the presence of the triplets. The three of them won’t retreat even after the attack. I can feel their weakness. I can feel the essence of my powers, still sucking their life force, but something inside them gingers them enough to hurry after us.

Kade’s presence is trying to invade my mind, but I’m stopping him from being able to speak to me through the link from the mark.

Finally, we can see the light at the end of the tunnel, but we can’t have them follow us outside. “What do we do? We can’t have them tracking us down the path.”

“I have no idea, Kaya. We can’t lock the gate since you’ve...you know.” Olivia says to me with a light snicker, and I think of something to do.

“I think I might have an idea.”

“I trust you, Kaya.” It’s crazy how she knows just how to make me feel cherished. Through my trauma, I’ve noticed that I don’t have it in me to praise myself except when I see validation from someone else. It’s a bad thing, but what could I do?

Getting to the outside, I’m facing the gate. The brothers are close, as are the knights behind them. Coming for us and letting out a soft exhalation, I spread out my hands. “Fatiscit usque ad polos. Jube, me jube. Conteret omnes. Nunc!!”

The walls of the tunnel quake at the utilization of my powers, crumbling with greatness till the walls break into boulders and fragments of stones.

But I wasn’t done, my next choice of foreign words wake an ominous and eerie sensation. “Ipsam terras iubeo demittere ventos, solem, nubes; herba, silva, flumen. Muta curriculum naturae tuae, et fias praeter naturam. Etch dolor in vitae hic vitae. Participes mei doloris et tenebrarum.”

When I face Olivia, she has her lips wide open. “Woah, I’m beginning to fear you. You just crushed the tunnel onto them, and whatever is that you just did?”

“I just changed the order of things.” I reply to her second question before I reply the first with a question of my own. “And do you share any sympathy for them?”

She puffs out air with her lips as she waves me off. “Nah. Now, let’s leave here before we get ourselves in trouble again.”

“I’m sorry that I failed to follow the plan.” Honestly, I don’t think I’m sorry.

We are riding on horses now, heading back to the hideout. Olivia replies with softness in her tone. “You didn’t. This was a proof of your powers that they’ve grown, and in no time, you can actually get rid of the triplets for us.”

“Yes. And I will make sure I do that—get rid of the darkness in this world.” The words dripping off my tongue sound like a lie, as I am a hypocrite in my own words. I’m a shadow of myself from everything that I did today. It reveals just how much bitterness is inside me, and continuing on this vengeance path, what would I aim to achieve in the end?

Mother and Father, could you be proud of me? Williams, could you still recognize your sister? Aiden, could this be what you imagined me to turn out to be when you saved me from killing myself that day?

I am torn between the walls of right and wrong.

What have I become? And most especially, who am I?