69

69

Kaya’s POV.

One of my knees is on the ground while my arm rests on the other as I stare ahead into a fine field. The beauty is nothing words can describe. It is splendid and captivating.

My lips are curved into a bright smile at the kids running in the field—a girl and a boy. They are playing hide and seek, chasing each other with crackles of laughter bouncing in the air, echoing into the mountains in the distance where mist forms atop.

“Mum...” The both of them call as they run towards me, and I stand up, running to go and hug them, but instead I feel a hand on my shoulder, pulling me out of the vision, and Olivia’s voice reaches my ears.

“Kaya. The alphas are waiting for you to join us.” I turn my head to the left and nod at her, agreeing in affirmation.

In reality, I’m standing in the middle of a clearing, the grounds dried and wilted of any beauty. It is a dry land that’s suffering from deforestation, and it’s situated close to the major hideout where the five neighboring packs’ leaders have their meeting. Something about this place losing its light to darkness, getting sucked into bitterness, and a complete fade is one that I can relate to, and perhaps that’s why I usually come here for relaxation.

“It’s been two weeks now since the attack, isn’t it?” I ask Olivia, who nods her head with a hum coming from her.

“And anything heard from the triplets about me?”

“They keep on searching, and they are threatening to attack us, but trust me, it’s fine. They won’t just go and start attacking our kingdoms, especially since we aren’t even there. It is you that they are looking for, so they’d be trailing us now,” as she informs, and I come to understand more of why we keep on changing locations then.

“And that’s why we keep changing locations to mask them from reaching us.”

She pats my shoulder, nearing her body to hit me lightly, and she laughs. It’s so contagious that I find myself laughing too. “I’m actually glad you came with me, Kaya. I never thought you’d want to, since you hate every one of my kind out there.”

My lips spread into a lame smile, “I still do.” Fiercely, my tone has quickly changed, but I compress the anger. There’s a burning fire inside me, always and never diminishing. Sometimes it scares me.

We enter a cabin while my brain reels back to how far I’ve changed in the last two weeks. Mourning the deaths of my babies, I have found the greatest enemy to be able to channel the power of earth, water, and fire too. And I can now cast some spells—courtesy of Olivia’s spell books.

She never told me how she got it, though.

“They should be here anytime soon.” Speaks one of the alphas, whom I have come to know as Lucas. He’s the alpha of the Southern Tail Pack.

A common trait about these alphas is their fine features, sharp and rigid jawlines and noses, the hypnotizing colour of their eyes, and their usual coily long hairs. Some of them have it streaming down their backs, while others have it wrinkled enough for it to be messy all over their heads, but it’s beautiful. They are inhuman, and every personality of theirs shows it.

Our presence catches their attention; all four alphas eyes land on us.

Alpha Damon begins, “courtesy demands I say “It’s good to have you here, Kaya,” but frankly speaking, I don’t think so. I will not be a hypocrite because I actually planned on killing you, and if I sense a bit of betrayal from you that you plan to end my race, I won’t hesitate to go back to their mindset.” He seems to mean what he’s saying. “For now, I hope we can help each other.” His tongue chooses his words so fast, unlike Kade or even Kyle, and I find myself taken aback at his utter honesty. However, on my side, she finds him jocular.

I spread my hands out to the air, showing emphasis with my index and middle fingers. “I think,” a little pause there before continuing, “we should just calm down for now and let me hear the plan.”

My eyes shift to Olivia, who nods her head at me, giving me a mental thumbs-up. “Of course.” Alpha Frederick takes charge this time around. He seems like the calculating one here, as he focuses on the table where there are paper works, maps, and pawns representing their subjects and the triplets.

“We’ve mapped out the spots where we could attack the triplets. Fortunately for us, they are disassembled. Information reaches us that they are still in the aftermath of the ruins caused by our first attack two weeks ago. It proved to really weigh them down. They are weakened, and what better way can we weaken them down even more than to attack again?” He is barely ending his conversation when Alpha Xander interrupts, now continuing from where Frederick has stopped.

By the way, Luna Olivia, and I are standing next to each other. She must have sensed the tension within me because she places her hand on my back and sweeps it up and down, slightly as though to calm me down, and I appreciate it.

“We’d attack through the woods again in another ambush. This is a war of injustice. We aren’t going to be preparing them, and that’s the only way we can win. The triplets are still by far the strongest and most powerful of all werewolves. We know that, and as long as they are still together, we have to be careful. In the course of the attack, we shall find a path for the witch. She is to go to the middle of the palace and do her own part.” He stops there.

A second passed, and I’m still expecting him to tell me my own part until I see that there is a change in the atmosphere. All of them seem to know what’s up, but they won’t talk. I turn to Olivia, the only one I am much closer to here. “What’s happening? What’s my own part?”

“Kaya,” she turns me to face her directly and grabs both my hands, entwining them with hers. “If we are to end the reign of these barbaric beings within our midst—if you really want to stop your suffering—and you want to have revenge for the deaths of your babies, which clearly were caused by them, you want to help us destroy everything that’s relating to the triplets. We have to end this one and for all.” A strange vibe in the way she talks makes me frown in incomprehension.

“What do you mean by everything?”

“Everything: the whole palace, the whole people.” There she’s turned the table around. I snatch my hands from her and take two steps back, wanting to see clearly if this is actually Luna, who promised me that all would be fine if I’m to work with them.

I rake my hands into my hair and say, “No, that makes us nothing less of a monster than they are. You want to destroy everyone?” I can’t even begin to wrap my head around it. I am finding it hard to pull myself together. “Was that the plan all this time? The triplet pack has the largest number of humans as slaves. No, we must find a way to free them so the world can get better. We can’t kill everyone there. That’s unforgivable. That’s uncultured itself. It’s crazy. I...” I stop talking when I see that there’s no ounce of change in their eyes. They all just stare at me as though I’m talking to a wall.

“I thought you said she’d be willing to do anything and that she’s fierce enough to go on this mission.” Alpha Damon speaks without remorse in his tone, without any hint of sympathy. He’s like a machine that has no feelings. How could he kill all the wolves and humans who are innocent? The triplets are the monsters here. Even the men they call knights wouldn’t have been my enemies if we hadn’t pledged their loyalty, hence knowing affirmatively that they would only listen to the wishes of their masters, the triplets.

“Don’t say what you don’t know, Damon. She’s emphatic, unlike you. At least give her that record. It shows goodness. She’s not like you, whose heart is like a stone.”

He scoffs and rolls his eyes. “Of course, it’s what has kept me alive. We are in a world of cruelty. Better stop being weak and fight to the end instead of being a baby.” He spits his words down at me, and my brows furrow, fury erupting such that my stomach twists.

I need to leave here, so I head for my room.

“Kaya. Kaya!” Luna Olivia keeps calling me, but I have turned deaf ears. “You all can do nothing without her, so be careful with your choice of words.” Her last sentence is a whisper that vanishes gradually with my distance from the meeting room.