70

70

Kaya’s POV.

I slam the door behind me, muttering words beneath my breaths. “How different is he from the triplets if he’s willing to end their reign by killing everyone too?”

Heading to the bed to sit on it, a million and one thoughts roam through my head, roaring like fire from a dragon’s throat. “And he seems to be unaffected by his decisions? This is crazy.”

I’m suddenly feeling out of order, thinking in my head about what I’m actually trying to achieve. For the past two weeks, I haven’t really thought by myself. Most of the decisions I make are based on what either Olivia tells me or what I know I must do with the alphas in general.

It makes me wonder if I am actually free from the bondage that I leave the triplets’ kingdom for. “Am I really free?”

I stare outside at the sky that’s darkened by black clouds. It looks like it’s going to rain snow tonight, and that would only cause more cold. It’s winter-time already, and while I’m chilling on the outside from the breeze, I’m chilling inside too.

I’m confused about what I really want and how much of my anger is controlling me. I have gained my witch’s power, and I can use it however I like, yet every action and every decision has a price to be paid. There would be consequences, and it certainly would change the future too.

A light knock lands on the wooden door right before Olivia opens it to peep inside. “Kaya?”

“I’m here.” I raise my voice so she can hear me from the balcony.

“It’s cold out there. Why are you not inside?” She makes use of a motherly tone, which spreads a smile onto my face, and I walk back inside, closing the other door and going to sit next to her on the bed after she’s patted the side next to her.

“You look worried.”

Fighting the urge to roll my eyes, I ruffle my nostrils. “I’m not in alliance with the decisions you guys want to make. It’s cruel and bad. How could you want to perish everything? What difference does it make us then? We would be nothing but monsters, just like the triplets. They kill and punish the innocent, just like we want to do too. I will never agree to it, and there’s nothing you’d change my mind about.”

I finish with my breathing ragged, and she’s just laughing. “Look at you.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

She laughs again, but mildly: “Don’t you see? Look at yourself; you’re the light that we need in this darkness. You’re a witch, and now I’ve seen why they say you are the balance to stop the imbalance in this world. I see why you are the intermediary. Hear your own words, and you’d see your potential.” If I’m to understand clearly, is she appraising my reasoning?

Oh, man, my cheeks are red, and I can’t stop my smile. I look away to hide my blushes, but she points a “no” at me with her index finger. “Don’t shy away now, my little dear.” She spills with a grin on her face. It’s crazy how she knows just how to press my button.

“In this world, there is evilness and there is goodness, and we all have each of them inside of us, but we have a choice to decide which one we have to follow. Those men have treated you badly. Those maids have seen you as nothing. Those knights could have raped you, molested you, beaten you—hell, they’ve beaten you, I’m sure. Or how else do you describe all the scars and marks on your body? These people played with your intelligence. They made you weaker than even an imbecile could be. These men turned your world upside down. They killed your family, but did they stop there? Of course, they did not.” My face is positioned ahead, my eyes staring at the ground, while her words penetrate into my hearing from the side.

“They make you lose a pregnancy that you have come to accept and cherish. They sucked up the happiness around everyone close to you. Do you not remember all these pains anymore?” She asks with judgment in her tone. “Do you not remember how they beat you so much and you’re crying, begging for them to stop, but they didn’t?”

She’s continuing, and my jaw twitches as I remember all of it. “Don’t you recall...don’t you fucking remember everything, Kaya? They made you trash. They locked you in a dungeon overnight. All those hours you spent in there, unable to sleep, dirt all over your skin, your wounds aching, the coldness seeping into your pores begging to be attended to, your mind broken and your heart shattered, your life fading in and out without you being able to control it. They made you a mess. They destroyed you. They destroyed all your friends. And most importantly, they didn’t just destroy the family you had known but also the one you had growing inside you. Do you not cherish the connection that you had with those babies kicking inside you? And are you not so annoyed that they claim this comes from a place of love and that they are your mates?” With each question, with each word of calamity, there is an emphasis dripping off her tone. She is angry on my behalf, and I can sense it, or maybe it’s just to give me enough fuel to be furious on my own. How unfortunate! How pathetic it would be to have mercy at all!” She has nearer her lips to my ears to whisper in the words with stress in her tone.

Inside me is a wood waiting to be lit up, and her words did just that. She lit up the fire inside me, and I’m burning with so much fury. I’m angry so much that I can’t control it. My heart is heaving up and down, causing my chest to rhyme with it. My powers are heightened, brightening up with each second that passes.

Suddenly, a crack forms in the mirror, and I gasp. I was almost lost in my anger.

Olivia grabs my hand and looks into my eyes, her face close to mine. “Calm, Kaya. I have also had my share of darkness. I’ve been punished by the triplets too, and I want to get my revenge too. I want to make them see that they’ve wronged me. They killed my mate, and they are unapologetic about it. They never felt an ounce of remorse, so when we make them lose the ones they claim to love, too, why should we feel any different? Why should we feel pitiful for them? Why should we follow the rules of goodness when they won’t save us? Oh, should we sit back, hoping that karma does its job so we can only give them a chance to kill us all and capture you back in chains, and who knows what they’d do to you this time around that they know of your powers?”

All that she’s said is the truth. The triplets won’t hesitate to use more abrupt forces on me now that I’ve gained my powers. And when I think of it, she is right. They didn’t stop when they killed my father and my brother. And they didn’t stop when they killed Melissa. Oh, they didn’t think it was enough, so they killed Aiden. And then, they asked Pete to get rid of my pregnancy, only for them to find a way to snatch it away from me by sending someone to run me down the stairs.

It didn’t stop there, either. Emotionally, even when I’m here, still knowing that the triplets exist out there is a torture to my mental health. They’ve made me see everywhere I go as a place to be alarmed; maybe that’s why I think those alphas don’t have a good motive behind their reasons to want to destroy everything too.

And Olivia is right when she speaks about karma. Fate won’t punish them if we don’t punish them ourselves, and because only the triplets punished me doesn’t make their subjects or the people of their town innocent. I know there are good souls there, too, and maybe I can save them, but for the bad eggs, especially the royal ones, I must lock my instincts into destroying them.

Taking a moment to think deeply, I speak, “I’ll go with this plan, but we can’t kill everyone. There are good souls in that place, and I know it. I’ve met a few, and we should save them.”

“I’m a Luna who’s found her way to the top of this game, Kaya. Trust me, I’d be with you. After all, we women must stand with each other, shouldn’t we?” She tells me, giving me her word, and I smile.

“Kade, Kieran, and Kyle, we are coming for you.” In my thoughts, I affirm a burning desire for retribution.