Chapter 26 - Not alone

Liam's dad led me out of the hospital, keeping me firm in his grasp to prevent any further meltdown. When we stepped into the fresh air, Liam took over from his dad by grabbing my hand and pulling me toward him. The light felt too bright compared to the darkness sifting through me, and I hated this uncomfortable feeling it gave me.

"Do you want to go home?" Liam's dad asked, turning to me. I realised at that moment that he just looked like an older, maturer version of Liam, from his stockier frame to his darker tan and stubble shadow. Other than that, he was tall, lean, and had that trademark copper hair. Was that how Liam would look when he got older?

Remembering his question, I nodded. There was no use me being here when my own mum didn't want to see me, and there was nowhere else for me to go anyway.

"I don't feel comfortable leaving you there alone," he said, "But I'm fine with it if Liam stays with you until your brother gets home."

The thought of him coming home when I couldn't contact anyone sent chills through me. I was too tired to be around Liam, but I preferred that over the alternative. I nodded my agreement. "We'll come, too," Charlie said. "Right Tristan?"

Tristan, who'd been looking at the ground, glanced up with surprise. "Ah, yeah. Of course."

I didn't have the energy to say no or to send anyone home. If anyone could dig me out of this pit of despair, it'd definitely be these three. Not even God could do much good for me at this point. Muttering a hopeless thanks, I followed them back to the car and allowed them to drive me home. Liam's dad wished me the best and offered to pick me up and let me stay there if I didn't want to stay home later, then drove off.

We went inside and sat down in the lounge, sitting in silence for a while before Liam spoke up. "We all must be hungry by now, right?" he asked, looking around at us all. "Should we order delivery?"

"Hell yeah," Charlie agreed. "Does your sushi place deliver?"

"Yeah, for an extra fee," Liam said.

"That's fine 'cause you're paying," Charlie said, kicking his shoes off and putting his feet up on the coffee table. He dug out his phone from his pocket and started scrolling through the online menu. "It's late so we better order quick before they close."

"Is that cool with you, Jude?" Tristan turned and asked me.

"Ah, yeah." I had no appetite, but they could go ahead. For now, I needed to try and find my phone. Dad needed to know about whatever this was. "I just gotta do something upstairs."

They chatted in the lounge as I ran up to mum's room and closed the door behind me. The windows were still closed, and there was still a lingering rotten smell. I checked her rubbish bin in the ensuite, but I couldn't see anything in particular. Shaking it off, I just opened her windows and started rummaging through her drawers. Then her wardrobe, the pockets of all her clothes, under her pillows and blankets, her mattress, inside her ensuite, her various bags, her suitcases stored at the top of her closet, everywhere.

Where the hell did she put it? Just in case I couldn't find it, I was also careful to look out for anything that might have dad's number written on it. Nothing turned up.

I checked the hallway closet, rushed past the guys in the lounge and rummaged through the kitchen drawers and cupboards. Unable to find it, I kicked the last bottom drawer I checked and stumbled back against a wall as I rubbed my face in frustration. Liam shot up from the couch and came over to me. He pulled me against him and patted my back.

"What're you doing?" he asked. "Can I help?"

"My phone," I said. "I can't find it."

Liam's brows furrowed. "I'd ring it but it was going straight to voicemail when I tried earlier," he said. "How long has it been missing?"