Chapter 5 - Driftwood

My internal clock rang before Mum or Josh woke up, giving me time to get ready and slip out for school before I had to face either of them. I'd obviously be seeing Josh at school later, but at least it wouldn't be the usual two against one. This was a good opportunity for me to start the day on a slightly more positive note.

That positive note was that Liam and I had second class together, and I was surprised when he noticed me here for the first time. It almost seemed like he was looking for me when he turned his head from the front and glanced around the room. As soon as he caught a glimpse of me, he raised his hand in a wave and smiled. My face went feverishly hot when my heart short-circuited the entire blood flow straight to my head.

As soon as lunch time rolled around, I was straight into the locker room. Tristan briefly called me asking where I was, so I told him where I was, and that I was doing some extracurricular work. It wasn't a lie; it just wasn't my extracurricular work. Only ten minutes passed before the door opened and I heard Tristan calling my name. I popped my head around a tall stack of boxes to see Tristan glancing around at all the upheaval.

"Jeez, are you getting enough credit for this?" he asked in his thick Filipino accent.

I couldn't continue the lie, but I couldn't tell the truth either, so I just laughed in response.

"What are you up to?" I asked, changing the subject. "Here to help me finish all the rest of these?"

My question should've been an obvious joke, but Tristan took the checklist from my hands and scanned his gaze down the items of the list. His brows furrowed with concentration while I stood watching his reaction with anticipation.

"You don't do sports or P.E, so why are you doing this for extracurricular points?" he asked.

Tristan was far too observant for his own good.

"I can't do sports, but I can do checklists," I answered, taking the clipboard back from him.

We worked on the inventories together and managed to finish them so much faster than if I was on my own. It helped that he could reach all the higher boxes and place them back up high just as easily without me having to lug the stool around. That's where most of my struggles were this entire time. Almost thirty minutes into the break while Tristan was straightening up the top shelves, the door opened again. Tristan and I both watched Liam enter and look at us both with surprise.

"Didn't expect this," he said, breaking out into a smile. "Hi."

"Hi," I answered, unable to help from smiling back.

"Yo," Tristan said, putting his hand out. "I'm Tristan. Are you also getting extra points?"

"Also... what?" Liam asked, subtly glancing at me as if to ask for an explanation.

"Yes, he is," I answered quickly, nodding towards Liam. "How was your game?"

"I won you a few shots as promised," he grinned.

"Total?" I asked.

"Seven-four," he proudly answered.

"What game are we talking?" Tristan asked, placing the checklist down on top of a box.

Liam picked it up and checked our progress, nodding both his evident surprise and approval. "Soccer," he said.

"Oh, you're one of the dudes who plays on the field?" Tristan asked.

"Yeah, do you play?" Liam asked.

I listened to the two engaging in conversation as they became fast friends. Although it was good to see Tristan getting along with others besides me, their conversation continued so naturally without me that all I could do was stand here uselessly, like a piece of deadwood in the corner. Neither of them seemed to notice me withdrawing while their eyes lit from their mutual interest in soccer. I wanted to at least finish the work, but Liam was still holding the clipboard in his hands.