Chapter 25 - Red

A/N: This chapter goes a little beyond my normal "unedited, read at your own risk" scope. I genuinely struggled so goddamn hard to capture the feeling and content I wanted. But as running the risk of sitting on this chapter for weeks while I lack the confidence to post it, and risking dropping this story for months because I can't get past this hurdle, I'm just throwing it out here and will come back to edit it so that it properly captures everything i need. 

So seriously read at your own risk!

* * *

As I hurried after Josh, I tried to ignore Liam running off to Tristan and leaving Ivana's side, but I couldn't ignore the weird relief it gave me. I could see them move away from the others, and they appeared to be talking while looking this way. Paranoia crept in. What if Tristan was telling Liam my secret? He wouldn't, right?

Liam sprinted this way with Charlie close in tow, leaving Ben and Goose and the rest of their friends behind. He reached my side and gently wrapped his fingers around my wrist, making me turn my head and stare at him. "Liam," I said, pulling out of his grasp, but I didn't slow down. "Sorry I was leaving without saying anything, but I can't stay for dinner."

"Where're you going?" he asked, nodding over at Josh with an unforgiving glare. He had no problem matching our pace. "With him?"

"We're going home," I said. "I can't stay and chat. I think it's an emergency."

"It is an emergency," Josh said, looking back for a split second. "Hurry the hell up."

"I don't want you going with him," Liam said, grabbing my shoulders and stopping me. He held both of my shoulders and looked me straight in the eyes. His brows furrowed, showing me how serious he was. "We'll take you instead."

Josh stopped in his tracks and turned slowly. Veins protruding from his neck and forehead, he cocked his head with menacing disbelief. "What'd you say, Petry?"

Veins protruded from his neck and forehead. Liam didn't respond, instead, he put his hand out in front of me and forced me back out of Josh's reach. He stood protectively in front of me, like he was ready to take the blow should Josh try to come at me.

"I asked you what the hell you just said."

I wanted to know the same thing. Was he basing it this just off what I'd told him? But then he'd have reacted like this earlier, knowing full well that I live with Josh and would see him all the time. If it wasn't that, then did Tristan just tell him everything I said in full trust and confidence? Is that why he was acting this way?

"What did Tristan tell you?" I asked Liam, staring up at the back of his head.

He glanced back at me, shaking his head. "He didn't say––"

"What the fuck did you tell them, Jude?" Josh asked as he pulled his sleeves, clenching his fists into tight balls. He looked ready for bloodshed. Liam first, and then me. Josh charged at Liam and sent him reeling sideways, then yanked me so hard that I thought my arm would dislocate from its socket.

"I didn't!" I yelled, trying to break free. "Please let me go, it hurts!"

And just like that, I lied straight to Josh's face, as if I wouldn't have to deal with God's judgement. No matter how hard I tried to free myself, Josh would only tighten his grip. My eyes were prickling from the sting. Josh spun around and stuck his face so close to mine that I shrank back in fear. His voice dropped so low and menacing that a shiver crept down and chilled my bones. "Just know that if anything happens to mum, it's all your fault."

"Jude, you don't have to go with him––"

"Hurry the fuck up!" Josh yelled, breaking into a sprint.