Chapter 24 - Devil at works

In these short few months that I've known Tristan, I've never once seen him mad. Even if he got dragged into classroom or field conflicts, he always maintained some air of confidence and composure. But as I gave a very small, very brief, and very vague rundown of what's been going on at home and with Josh, he looked furious.

Rosy looked calm and sympathetic. She must be where he learned to keep his usual composure but was probably better at it and been doing it for longer. Her hand was still resting on both of mine, distracting me from picking my nails anymore. This was a tough conversation to have, but at least I'd only have to do it once. They were the last people I'd ever tell. They could give me some advice, steer me in the right direction, and all would be well.

It honestly felt better afterwards. The more I spoke, the more weight seemed to shed from my shoulders. By the end of it, I had a little more life in me than when we first walked in. Tristan and I were back to normal, chatting and laughing the way we did before I dropped him like a biting rat with the bubonic plague. It made me even sorrier.

His phone buzzed and he looked down at it. "Liam's telling us to come watch his practice, then we'll go grab dinner or head to the arcade. Keen to come?"

"I didn't bring money," I said.

"We'll treat you," Tristan said, glancing into the review mirror where he could see his mum in the driver's seat. "Right mum?"

"Of course, honey," Rosy said. "Jude has been so brave today, Tristan will buy you a giant meal and all the pudding you want, hm? But first," Rosy said quickly, pulling the car over and scrambling for her purse. "Let me drop to the pharmacy very quickly and I will patch up your face, honey. We don't want people all worrying and asking you questions, hm."

I beamed. "Thank you, Rosy."

She dropped us to the match, where giant lights loomed over the field even though it was still light out. It'd probably be dark before they ended their game. Liam's friends were sitting down to watch his play, except for Charlie, who was sprawled out on Ben's legs looking up at his phone he held over his face. Tapping away at his phone, he couldn't act more disinterested in the game if he tried. I secretly hoped he dropped it on his face. I could also see Liam's bro–sister, Niko, sitting with a bunch of the popular girls.

Tristan's new friends were playing on the field with Liam, and the game looked exciting. Lots of parents and students were sitting or standing around watching and cheering. Like always, Liam was completely in his element, taking charge and ensuring the ball was always kept to his team's advantage. He was so tall, quick, and precise. I never felt bored watching him play, even if I didn't understand the first thing about soccer. He tricked his opposition so many times, pretending to kick one way then doing it another. His entire team seemed to work well together, too. No wonder they were going national.

Then I realised, as my eyes remained focussed entirely on Liam, not once had I noticed Josh scurrying around on the field until I saw the ball being passed to him. Tristan led me to Liam's group and sat down beside me, while a couple of his friends watching the game crawled over to sit with him, too.

"Sup, Bible lover boy," Charlie said disinterestedly, barely sparing a glance away from his phone. "Here to see your side piece?"

"What about you?" I asked, nodding towards his phone. "Here to completely disregard him?"

Charlie smirked and lowered his phone, then sat up to look at me. "Actually, I'm here for the free dinner. Your boyfriend's shout."

"Good on you for exploiting him," I answered with a roll of my eyes.

"Jealous that he spoils me and not you?" Charlie asked.

He and I stared at each other, but the longer we held up like this, the harder it became to keep a straight face. His sassy expression collapsed into a goofy grin before he crawled over and put his arm around me. I couldn't help but drop my guard, too. He turned the conversation casual and light while we watched the game continue.