-34-

((Ok so I fucked up, turns out 34 is not actually angsty at all because I procrastinated too hard and wasn't able to write most of it. Enjoy a few more days of not suffering on behalf of my mistakes))

((Hell, I don't think this one even needs a recap))

((Warnings: anxiety, potential transphobic family, that's about it I think))

Y/n pulled the blanket close to his chest, curling further into himself as he stared nervously down at his phone. He had to call back, he knew that much, but he really wasn't looking forward to it.

"Are you sure you're alright with me being here? I can wait outside if you'd prefer." Tommy asked again, fidgeting with his hands.

Y/n shook his head, wordlessly taking Tommy's hand in his own free one as if it would anchor him to the spot. That was the third time Tommy had asked if Y/n had been sure about him staying in the room, and the third time that he'd confirmed his answer. He took a deep breath and finally hit 'return call.'

One ring. Two.

He released Tommy's hand, clutching the blanket anxiously.

Three

Tommy stood and walked around to the other end of the bed, tugging the sheets free from it and tossing them to the floor.

Four

Tommy turned to him questioningly, arms leaned onto the only chair in the room.

Five. He was finally met with his mother's voice, in the form of her voicemail greeting. He hung up without leaving a message, dropping his phone to the floor and tightening his arms around his knees.

"She didn't pick up?" Tommy asked, dragging the chair over to y/n. Upon seeing y/n nod, he continued. "You anxious about it?"

Y/n nodded again, sinking further into his blanket.

"Do you want to try again or let her call on her own time?" Tommy picked up a sheet from the floor, tying it sloppily around a bed post. "Either way, I'll be here as long as you want me."

"I'm not sure I want to know," he muttered. "Putting it off is fine by me, it took enough building up to call once."

Tommy hummed in understanding, shuffling around whatever he was working with. A sudden motion caught Y/n's attention as something large and white fell in front of him. He quickly recognized it as the other end of the sheet. Tommy dragged it a bit further, hooking it onto the chair and stepping back to appreciate his work: An admittedly pretty shitty blanket fort, just big enough for the two of them.

Y/n glanced around him at the messy enclosure, taking in the way the ceiling light glowed through the white sheet until it suddenly didn't. The click of the lightswitch accompanied the sudden darkness in the room as Tommy shut the light off, making his way back over nearly silently despite the lack of visibility. He ducked in and crawled up to Y/n's side, his features just barely visible in the limited lighting.

"Hi," Tommy whispered.

Y/n snorted but replied nonetheless. "Hi. Lovely place you've got here," he joked, gesturing to the fort that surrounded them.

"Hey, it's pretty damn good given the circumstances," he shot back, sitting down and pulling his laptop over. "And I made it for you, so you'd better like it," he threatened half-heartedly.