-17-

((I expected more filler chapters to lead up to this point I'm not gonna lie))

((But uh))

((I'm sorry))

((Warnings: transphobic family, denial, coming out))

((I'll include a recap at the bottom so no pressure to read or finish the chapter if at any point you find yourself having to skip))

How stupid could he be?

Even if he would have been able to convince them before, it would be much harder now that he had procrastinated to the point where they would have no time to think about it.

He just hoped they would be understanding.

Maybe they'd feel guilty for punishing him and agree, he didn't know, he just was hoping as much as he could that he could get them to let him go.

It was officially 1 week and 5 days since Wilbur had brought this up to him.

He had 2 days.

2 days to have a definite answer for him.

Why did he procrastinate so hard??

What was even worse was that he still found himself wanting to put it off. The only reason he no longer allowing himself to, was that he had absolutely no choice at this point. He had to figure this out now.

He walked out of his room and down the hall, prepared to both ask the most he'd ever asked of his parents, and tell them the biggest news they'd ever gotten from him.

At the same time.

God he really should have spaced this out better.

Too late now, time to do this.

He left his room and walked down the stairs, heart pounding, throat dry. He paused halfway down as his legs felt week and sat down for a moment.

God this was terrifying.

But he knew he had to. There was no better time. There would never be a time it wasn't, and he had to just... do it.

He made his way to the bottom of the stairs to his parents, who were still treating him differently. He could only hope this would improve the situation.

His mother stood in the kitchen, looking over to him with an almost smile before going back to what she was doing. His father sat in the living room reading, seemingly not even noticing his presence.

He cleared his throat.

"Um, mom, dad..." his mother looked over at him and his father looked up from over his book. He broke out into a cold sweat but forced himself not to back out.

"I'm trans."

His mom's eyes went wide. His dad dropped his book.

Neither said a word.

"I-I'm a boy, my name is y/n, and I have an opportunity to go to Brighton. Can I go?" he tried to immediately change the subject.

His mother nodded shakily before walking to the couch, holding her head as if feeling faint. She sat next to his father and he turned and swiftly exited the room.

He was halfway up the stairs by the time she started crying.

That... that definitely could have gone better.

He messaged Wilbur quickly.

-I can come-

-That's wonderful Y/n!-

-I'll add you to our group chat-

He turned off his phone and laid down, staring blankly at the cieling.

That really could have gone better.

At least there was the bright side that he would be away from home for a while soon. Even if she had agreed in shock, he was glad for it.

But what if she corrected herself? Or changed her mind? No... If he had to guess they would likely be glad to be rid of him for a while too.

The anxiety from having to tell them hadn't even begun to go away. In fact, in light of his mother's sobbing rising to a level he could hear from upstairs, it was actually starting to build.

He could hear his parent's voices, too faint to tell what they were saying, but enough to know they were unhappy.

He put on headphones, trying to drown out the sound. He couldn't handle thinking about it at the moment, so he refused to.

Refused to believe anything had happened at all. He consciously slowed his breathing to avoid panicking, and decided that he had never told his parents.

Of course, he didn't really believe it, but he would pretend for now. Pretend everything was fine until he had the opportunity to be away from it.

He'd be gone soon...

And hopefully by the time he got back they'd have accepted it.

((I am lucky to have a fairly accepting family (although they struggle with it a bit and I doubt they truly see me as who I am) but I know many people aren't so lucky. I will not make y/n get disowned in this fic, but his family is less than accepting. I am sorry. Do not force yourself to read their interactions if it will cause you harm.))

((RECAP: Y/n procrastinated coming out (and asking if he was allowed to go) until two days before the time limit. He comes out, his mom starts crying, he goes upstairs and tries to ignore it. His mom agrees to let him go in the middle of that, possibly out of shock.))

((I published the next one shot early to make up for this. It's a fluffy enby one <3))