C H A P T E R 13

Adonis jumped from his seat and headed to the tall windows bordering one side of the dining hall

"Fuck. It's happening again" he said.

We all ran to the windows to see that trees were falling but there was still no sight of the smoke. The castle was seven stories high and the dining hall was on the third floor. Running down the stairs, we go to the castle entrance where we see most pack members were outside of their homes. It was absolute silence for about five minutes where you could hear a pin drop. Then from the west side of the forest, I spotted the ethereal black smoke coming our way. Unlike the last time, it wasn't just floating in the air, it was coming towards the packhouses and fast.

"Is it just me or is the smoke coming towards us?" Aiden asked, also watching the smoke in fear.

"Run" Sinclair yelled to the royal pack.

"Nope you aren't the only one," I said before we all ran in the other direction of the smoke. 

All the lycans ran in the forest dodging the falling trees.We all ran to the waterfall near the pack housing to seek shelter.

Karisa stopped and started chanting "Defendat obice."

"What did you just do?" I asked panting.

"A barrier spell. Hopefully, it holds."

We watched as the black smoke crashed against the invisible barrier and then began to fan out around us trying to find a way in. The entity moved around as if it had a mind of its own. It moved back a little before crashing into the barrier.

"Oh fuck" Karisa said before chanting once more "Obice manere defendat."

The smoke kept attacking the barrier trying to get in as Karisa continued to chant to fight against it. Ultimately the smoke gave up and disappeared in the air without any casualties. Before Karisa could collapse to the ground I caught her before she hit the floor.

"Are you ok?" I asked her, bringing both of us to the ground.

"Yeah, the spell just exhausted me. Whatever that was it was if it was fighting against my spell."

After making sure that Karisa was okay and leaving her in the arms of her mate, I looked over to Sinclair who was standing by himself and looked beyond spooked by the smoke. 

I walked over to him and asked "Hey you ok."

He quickly hid his emotions and coldly nodded at me before leaving to walk back to the pack lands as many of the other lycans were. Well so much for being friends. Once we got back to the castle it was at least 11 in the night. Exhausted by the events that occurred I went back to my room to go to bed. 

The next morning I went to Karisa and Leo's room since the same day Karisa was going to show me around the royal pack. The past week or so I had been cooped up in the castle grounds and the only time I actually got to see some part of the pack was when we were running from the smoke.