33 - The 'Crimson Sandstorm'

The flight was exhilarating. Amelia, Jack and Rose piloted Whitebelly, Short-Toe and Audax expertly despite the additional four passengers. Casus rode with Amelia, providing directions as they soared over the boundless Mirrored Lake.

A small island appeared in the middle of the water. It was more a craggy lump of bare rock. Casus indicated towards it. A solitary seven-sided ringed structure sat perched on the highest peak. It was built precariously, encircling a huge pit that burrowed deep through the rock. The six peered into the blackness as they flew over the enormous hole but could not see the bottom. An open gallery overlooked the pit. Seven cantilever elevators clung to the pit walls and terminated on each side of the viewing platform. Seven guards stood to attention, one by each pulley system.

Beyond the building, a lone dirt path threaded between the rocks, to a stone hut where a pair of railway tracks arrowed down the cliffs. The eagles glided effortlessly down towards the structure and perched on the wet rock.

"What was that place?" asked Elliot as he jumped from Short-Toe.

"The Reserve," replied Casus. "All Lowdown money, gold and treasure is banked here."

"That great big hole is a vault?" asked Isla.

"Of course," replied the Lowdowner. "Do you not have banks in the Upworld?"

"Not like that," smiled Charlie.

They thanked the Silver Eagles effusively and repeatedly, hugging them and stroking their chest feathers. The birds chirped in harmony and took to the skies heading West. Now that they were safely back on the ground, Rose found yet another new baseball cap in the depths of her rucksack. It was a smart navy blue with the orange Lone Star and white 'H' logo of the Houston Astros.

Casus ushered them into the small building beneath a weathered sign that announced: 'TO THE STATION'. They gathered in a cramped waiting room with an open side that faced the steep tracks. They heard a creaking, rumbling noise. A rickety wooden tramcar rolled gradually up the hill towards them. It was decorated in Wonderground colours but long overdue a lick of paint. The rear of the tram slid perfectly into the gap and stopped.

Casus and the children stepped into the small carriage. It smelled fusty and the box was unventilated. The floor was a series of sharp wooden steps with no seating. They stared through the grimy bottom window and spied a bloated figure dressed in a copper hat deep sea diving suit. The person was seated on a wheel-less bicycle frame attached to the front of the carriage. The diving suit started pedalling and the tramcar set off slowly down the cliff. Jack tried to slide down one of the windows, but it was sealed shut.

An identical vehicle passed them on the other track, travelling upwards in the opposite direction. It was dripping with water. A long purple and white banded eel squirmed on the carriage roof before it wriggled over the edge and tumbled back to the safety of the lake. Another diving suit was hunkered over handlebars struggling to pedal backwards.

Elliot was the first one of the children to realise and strained to see below them along the track. "Erm...Casus?" he nudged the Lowdowner nervously. "Do these tracks lead directly into the lake?"

"How else will we get to the station?" replied Casus casually.

"I can't swim!" squeaked Elliot as the water approached. The diving suit and bicycle disappeared under the lapping waves. "And I'm claustrophobic!"

Casus chuckled as the lake water sloshed against the sides of the tramcar. The water level climbed up the glass and their ears popped as they were submerged. The windows creaked with the pressure as they plummeted through the murky water. A school of banana-coloured fish scattered either side of them. Through the gloom, Isla was convinced she saw a large eye staring at her. It blinked twice and was gone.