15 - The Lowdown

The impressive station building loomed large in front of them. They hurried up the uneven steps, taking three at a time, ran under the wyvern's head and rushed into the hall.

Isla paused. "Do we have to navigate the bridge and the staircase again?" she asked.

Elliot sighed. "I'm more worried about how we climb that pole slide in the grotto," he moaned.

They followed a smartly painted fingerboard sign with 'TO THE FRILLY LINE' stencilled in blue lettering that led them underneath the swirling stone steps they had descended upon their arrival.

"It must be a different route back," concluded Rose as they traipsed down a long corridor and followed a blue dotted stripe painted on the dark tile. The corridor terminated at a pair of steel doors. Amelia slid aside the accordion gate protecting the doors. Charlie pulled down on an antique-looking, brass-fronted crank handle that was recessed into the wall at chest height. The metal doors separated with a reluctant grumble. Inside, the lift was cramped and they squashed themselves together. The lift cage was unadorned save for a control panel, displaying two well-worn buttons. Jack punched 'UP' with the heel of his hand and the box shuddered into life.

"Are you thinking what I'm thinking?" pondered Elliot as realisation dawned across his face.

"What are you thinking?" Charlie asked as the lift ascended smoothly.

Just as Elliot was about to answer the lift played a melodious, tinkling tune to announce their arrival and the metal doors yawned open. Isla strained to drag the folding gates to one side before they stepped into a green and cream tiled corridor with a metal winding staircase that wrapped around the lift shaft and ascended out of sight.

"I'm thinking that Eeleye is laughing at us right now!" grunted Elliot as he folded his arms. 'SCENIC ROUTE' was painted at the foot of the staircase. Jack and Charlie laughed out loud.

"You mean we could have taken the elevator down in the first place?" muttered Rose crossly.

***

The six surged onto the platform. Thankfully, the train was still there. The workings of the Shadow Kiss were busily whirring and spinning. There was an occasional short burp of steam from the belly of the engine.

Blocking their path were Dewlyus and Fynsent, on their hands and knees, feverishly scrubbing the floor. The children skidded on the wet surface, barely managing to dodge the two brothers and their brushes. Jack leap frogged over Fynsent's back and knocked the station manager's bowler hat off. It landed in his metal bucket with a loud splash.

"Oi!" twittered the brothers simultaneously. "No running on the platform!"

"Kids," muttered Fynsent, picking his hat out of the bucket and wringing it out before plonking it back on his head. A single dribble of water dripped off the end of his nose.

"Older siblings, probably," smirked Dewlyus, failing to suppress a giggle. "No manners."

"Shut up, brother," barked Fynsent. He pointed at a spot behind Dewlyus. "You have missed a bit."

"I have not missed a bit since 1947," replied Dewlyus, indignantly, turning to see where his brother was pointing. With his back turned, Fynsent proceeded to pour his full, soapy bucket of grimy water over Dewlyus' head, soaking him.

"You did not just do that!" screamed Dewlyus, diving angrily for his brother and pulling at his bushy beard.

"Oh, I did that!" retorted Fynsent, grabbing a fistful of Dewlyus' hair as they rolled over and over towards their hut.

The children ignored them and sprinted towards the platform exit. As they approached the head of the train, Eeleye stepped down from the front carriage to intercept them. He smiled at them warmly and opened his arms.