3 - The 'Kiss'

A huge glass pyramidical structure poked through the treetops at the back of the school campus. The smell of chlorine hit them as the automatic doors slid apart and they entered the reception area of the swimming pool. The lobby was dominated by a gleaming steel and glass cabinet, lit from inside by tiny LED spotlights that illuminated rows of neatly organised cups and shields. Dotted among the polished trophies were embroidered and tasselled pennants describing the names of schools from across Europe.

"Welcome to my domain," gushed Amelia proudly. "As captain of the swimming team, I am delighted to show you our Olympic size pool and diving area. Follow me and mind your feet. It can be a bit slippery."

The group followed Amelia into the vast main pool area. There were numbered yellow starting boxes at one end with red marker ropes bobbing in the water separating the swimming lanes. Amelia led them to the opposite end of the pool where a series of progressively higher and more frightening looking diving boards towered over them that seemed to disappear into the sky through the glass above.

Amelia stepped up onto the lowest training board and addressed them from her elevated position. "Swimming and diving," she said, "are just two of many sports teams you can join here at Blankrook. We offer everything from Aikido to Zorbing!"

Jack had stopped listening. Swimming was boring. He would much rather play contact sports like boxing and rugby. The whole tour had been boring. Oh, for some entertainment. He saw the nerdy looking kid, the one with the matching luggage, wiping his glasses with a cloth, standing precariously close to the edge of the swimming pool. He really shouldn't, he thought. It was so tempting.

"All that remains," Amelia continued, "is to show you the dormitories. Thanks for listening and..."

Splash!

Everybody turned in unison towards the source of the noise. Several children gasped as they saw a skinny little kid in a tank top under the water. He was waving his arms madly and sinking gradually to the bottom of the deep end.

Splash!

Amelia's body knifed through the surface. Time stood still as the helpless group waited anxiously for them to reappear. A badge, with the name 'Elliot', floated to the surface. Charlie instructed everyone to step back against the wall as he leaned over for a better look. The surface of the water broke and two heads appeared. The boy was unconscious, but Amelia was strong and able to manoeuvre him to the pool edge. Charlie grabbed and hoisted him onto the cold, dimpled floor. Amelia scrambled up the stainless-steel steps and knelt over the lifeless boy.

She cocked her head, placing her ear above his open mouth. She delicately tipped his head slightly backwards, opening his airway and pinched his nose closed with her thumb and index finger. She clamped her lips to his and exhaled deeply. She did this once more and his body burst into life abruptly as if electrocuted. He vomited pool water with a hacking cough and Charlie helped him into a sitting position. A spontaneous round of applause erupted from some of the new students. An athletically built man with a shaved head and cauliflower ears appeared, slipping and sliding as he sprinted along the poolside.

"What on earth happened here?" he shouted urgently. "Wood," he pointed at Charlie. "Go to my office. Two towels, thanks."

"Yes, sir," called back Charlie, already on the move.

"Are you alright, boy?" asked the concerned man.

"N n n n n need a second, please," managed Elliot. "Oh no, my glasses," he moaned, feeling at his face.

Rose reached over the edge of the pool and stretched to recover the tortoise-shell-framed spectacles which had become hooked onto a lane rope. "Amelia was awesome," she said, handing the glasses to Elliot. "She saved him from drowning."

"Is this true, McIlroy?" the man asked Amelia.

"He fell in Mr. Dobson, sir," she explained. "I do not think he can swim."

"He sinks pretty well, though," sniggered Jack but nobody laughed.

Charlie returned with two yellow fluffy towels which he immediately wrapped around Amelia and Elliot.

"Thanks, Wood," said Mr. Dobson. "Take this young man to the shower block and get him warmed up. I'll ensure dry clothes are brought for him and I'll tell the school nurse to come and check him over."

Charlie put his arm around the shivering Elliot and led him to a poolside door with 'BOYS' stencilled on the frosted glass window.

"First class McIlroy," Mr. Dobson nodded proudly as Amelia dripped and shivered her way towards the girls' changing area. He ushered the rest of the group back into the main lobby of the swimming complex. "Not quite the introduction I would have liked," he said. "My name is Mr. Dobson, and I am head of the sports department at Blankrook School. I'll find another student to show you to your dormitories." He paused and looked back towards the pool. "If you were wondering," he continued, "swimming lessons are at six-thirty a.m. on Wednesdays and Sundays!"

***

Charlie sat sweating on a stainless-steel bench, shrouded in steam, listening to the scrawny little kid fawning from behind the fogged glass of the nearest shower cubicle.

"She kissed me," he whimpered. "She actually kissed me. This is the best day of my life!"

"I don't think it counts," smirked Charlie, wiping his forehead on his shirt sleeve. "You have to be conscious for it to count."

"I've never been kissed before," remarked Elliot. "It's called the 'kiss of life', so it counts!"

"If I were you, I'd be more annoyed with that stupid idiot that shoved you in the water."

"Cause-and-effect, Charlie," Elliot replied. "The path to a kiss from the most perfect girl I've ever seen," he cooed, "started with the push. If anything, I should be thanking him!"

"When you put it that way...," conceded Charlie, shaking his head with a smile. "Just don't let getting shoved become a habit," Charlie continued. "He looks the type."

"He can't be as bad as at my last school," reminisced Elliot. "They once gaffer taped me inside a stolen shopping trolley and tied it to the back of the school bus..."

Charlie tried not to laugh. "I'll make sure nothing like that happens to you here," he promised. "I never asked your name in all the madness."

"Blake," called out Elliot over the cubicle door. "Elliot Harrison Blake."

"Sounds like a solicitors' office," joked Charlie. "Nice to meet you, Elliot Harrison Blake. You'll forgive me if I don't shake your hand."

"Can I ask you a question?" replied Elliot through the mist.

"I'm not scrubbing your back!"

Elliot paused. "What's her name?" he mumbled.

"Sounds like you've got it bad," Charlie smiled. "Her name would be Amelia McIlroy."

A long sigh echoed within the shower cubicle. Elliot's finger traced the letters 'AM' into the condensation with a squeak. He drew a heart shape around the letters.

"Well, you aim high, I'll give you that," said Charlie.

"If there's another way to aim, I don't know it," replied Elliot earnestly.

"Get dry and get dressed," called out Charlie as he walked out of the shower block. "There's some clothes out here for you."

"Thanks," said Elliot.

Charlie grinned and gave a parting shot as he pushed open the door. "And get real!".