24 - The Quarter Council

The bell in the castle tower tolled thirteen times.

"We are here," announced Parsimonious.

"Where's here?" asked Isla nervously.

"The Mirrored Lake," replied the trader. "Site of each Quarter Council meeting for the last four hundred years."

An impossibly tall, thin, organised looking man in immaculate frost-white robes appeared from nowhere. He smelt strongly of onions. He introduced himself as Rad Morroi, a facilitator of the meeting. He nodded to Parsimonious before speaking to the children. "It is time," he instructed, showing them to the door. Moondragon nodded that it was safe.

It became apparent as they strolled downwards away from the Eye that their route was taking them towards the head of the elephant. When they reached the foot of the rising stone staircase between the elephant's ears, they saw that it bore no resemblance to the previous day. The length of the stonework had been decorated to resemble a leafy, woodland path. Curls of ivy wrapped around six oak arches spaced along the length of the staircase, intertwined with climbing roses and hydrangea. Laid along the length of the steps was carpet of grass with buttercups and clover peeping in between the stalks. Delicate petals in pinks and yellows danced across the surface in the light wind. The breeze carried the scent of lavender and lilac. A pair of green banners rose like sentries at the end of the staircase. They were fluttering with every gust and displayed a silhouette of a solitary tree.

Two female guards stood to attention as they approached. Both were over six feet tall with long dark hair tied back in ponytails that reached down below their slender waists. They were dressed identically in white tunics under moss-green cloaks. They were barefoot and held long bows in their right hands. Quivers of feathered arrows were slung over their left shoulders. Charlie thought they were the most beautiful woman he had ever seen in his life.

As they approached, the women crossed their bows, blocking their path to the staircase.

"Stand down," ordered Rad dismissively. "These are the six."

The guards relaxed their weapons.

The ground felt soft under their feet as they ascended the steps towards the stone structure at the top of the staircase. It smelt wonderful, like Christmas trees and apples. Pine branches had been affixed to the walls and rose high above their heads. They could hear birds flitting between the boughs and twittering excitedly. Hundreds of tiny lanterns swung from the limbs above them, providing a soft flickering glow.

"This is so cool," said Rose.

"Do not worry, young lady," responded Rad. "The temperature will improve momentarily."

"You're funny," said Jack, slapping the servant on the back.

"You need to understand that this is a serious matter," replied the man solemnly. "The Quarter Council has been called. This is not to be taken lightly."

"Why?" asked Isla.

"I am not privy to such information," admitted Rad. "The Morroi merely expedite the event. We are not permitted to attend the meeting."

"Who's on the Council?" asked Elliot with interest.

"There will be representatives from each kingdom," explained the man.

"Are we gonna meet royalty?" queried Rose.

"The kings and queens do not attend in person," Rad replied admonishingly. "Not least because the last meeting," he paused, "did not end well."

"Go on," encouraged Charlie.

"It is not my place," recoiled the man, bowing his head.

The rest of the walk was undertaken in silence, except for their breathing which was getting progressively heavier and louder with each laboured step. Their chests and quad muscles were burning. The journey did not seem to bother the man whose pace quickened as they approached the top step. Daylight was shining through a gap in the stonework that was sculpted into the shape of an oak leaf. The space was flanked by two more inexplicably tall and beautiful guards. The guards tensed as the seven approached, but relaxed as they recognised the man in white. The one to the left spoke in a deep melodious tone.