20 - The Portal Gate

The station manager Tasha Butterfrost and Acar Dier the Gatekeeper were standing behind Eeleye on the platform. They looked anxious. The Gatekeeper pointed directly at them and mouthed something to Tasha that they could not hear. Acer pushed past Eeleye to confront them. "You must remain here," he said earnestly. "If you know what is good for you." He removed a dagger from his belt as a warning. "I will notify Clavis." He nodded once to the station manager and ran for the nearest staircase.

The six could not contain their frustrations and all started yelling at Tasha at the same time.

"You can't keep us here, can you?"

"Where's he gone?"

"Why did you lock us up?"

"Why is he so interested in us?

"What's a Clavis?"

"Was he going to stab us?"

Tasha raised her hands to her ears. "All in good time!" she shouted to quiet them. "Firstly, how about a nice cup of potato tea?" She led them to a narrow door that said 'Manager's Office' on the glass.

Tasha's pokey office only had two chairs. Rose and Charlie offered to sit on the floor. Amelia perched herself on the edge of Tasha's cluttered desk. Elliot went to join her but was beaten to it by Jack, who winked in Elliot's direction as he cozied up on the tabletop. The walls of the tiny office were filled with photos and posters of Wonderground engines and station memorabilia.

Tasha returned with seven steaming navy-blue mugs. The tea smelled disgusting, like sweaty socks, but tasted delicious.

"You like trains, then," said Jack, pointing at the collection.

"Not especially," admitted Tasha. "My husband is a Wonderground engine driver." She handed out the drinks. "Acer has gone to see Clavis Majstar," she told them. "He is the commander of the Gatekeepers. I advise that you remain here to speak with him. It is many a year since we last saw Upworlders on the Wonderground. The destroyed door, and your arrival, spelled trouble to Acer, and so the Gatekeepers took action to return you to The Portal Gate. Unharmed." She sipped her tea. "And no," she reassured them. "I do not think he would have stabbed you."

Elliot sighed with relief.

"Well, not all of you," she smirked.

They were interrupted by a woman dressed similarly to Acer except for a double barrel shot gun that was slung over her shoulder and a pair of pristine white cotton gloves. She did not introduce herself. She ignored them and spoke to Tasha. "He will see them now," she announced solemnly.

"It is okay," assured Tasha, helping Rose to her feet. "Kaiata will look after you."

Kaiata gestured towards the door. They followed the Gatekeeper through a rabbit warren of twisting corridors that led, eventually, through an open door into a large, echoing space with an arched glass ceiling that reminded Isla of the Kew Gardens greenhouses. It smelled of old leather and biscuits. The floor was covered with a tired, seaweed-coloured patterned carpet with a repeating silver crown motif. A mezzanine level skirted the walls above their heads and was filled with shelves of thick, heavy-looking books. At the end of the room, was a semi-circular, mahogany desk. Six uncomfortable-looking wicker chairs were positioned around the curved edge of the desk. A single, well-worn, peacock-blue leather wingback chair faced into the room from behind the desk. The wall behind the desk was an explosion of colour. It displayed a collage of written notes, scribblings and newspaper clippings, photographs and various other items that were pinned, taped and tied, covering every square inch of wall space. There were countless photographs of doors with small notes stuck to them detailing various recognisable names in London including: