Mirror of Embers (Book 1)

By Monkeygirl311

Ember Ryvergrave is tired and alone. Her mother is dead, her twin sister doesn't need her, and her best frien... More

a e s t h e t i c s
i n t r o d u c t i o n
p r o l o g u e
o n e
t w o
t h r e e
f o u r
f i v e
s i x
s e v e n
e i g h t
n i n e
t e n
e l e v e n
t w e l v e
t h i r t e e n
f o u r t e e n
f i f t e e n
s i x t e e n
s e v e n t e e n
e i g h t e e n
t w e n t y
t w e n t y - o n e
t w e n t y - t w o
t w e n t y - t h r e e
t w e n t y - f o u r
t w e n t y - f i v e
t w e n t y - s i x
t w e n t y - s e v e n
t w e n t y - e i g h t
t w e n t y - n i n e
t h i r t y
t h i r t y - o n e
t h i r t y - t w o
t h i r t y - t h r e e
t h i r t y - f o u r
t h i r t y - f i v e
t h i r t y - s i x
t h i r t y - s e v e n
e p i l o g u e
the end of book one!!

n i n e t e e n

9.6K 242 530
By Monkeygirl311

One year earlier

"WHERE ARE YOU OFF TOO?" Reighla asked me. I looked over my shoulder to see her standing a few feet away. She was digging through her dresser. I didn't know what she was looking for. I turned back around to the vanity and brushed the hair away from my face. I brought back my curls and tied them in a knot at the back of my head. Letting a few strands frame my face. I smiled at myself. Here I could be whoever I wanted. I didn't need to put on any facades. I could be me. And this Ember wanted to have fun. I was in a baby blue cashmere sweater and beige trousers. White flats hid my feet. I looked really nice. I looked normal. Instead of my dark depressing look I put on back home. No black was in my wardrobe. It was nice. I could finally wear colours I enjoyed. Colours that made me look nice. Sexy, even. I wasn't even going to deny it, I looked hot as hell right now.

I couldn't decide if I was dressing up for me, though. Maybe I was dressing up cute in the hopes of seeing that sexy-ass man who found me on the bridge yesterday. I believed he was an elf, but it was hard to tell. I didn't know a proper reason for why any of the fae would even be in Tennia. So he had to be Tennian. Llyrian made no sense.

Reighla came up behind me and put her long hands on my shoulders. Her onyx nails rested on my collar bone. She smiled at me in the mirror of the vanity. It lit up her face. I stared back at her through the mirror. "I figured I'd go and explore, I've never been to Kryler with you before." I said. Reighla nodded her head. She gave my shoulders a little squeeze. "You look beautiful, my love." I could feel the flush breaking across my face. I gave her a sheepish smile and averted my eyes from hers. "Please be careful," she told me. "Usually you have your sister to venture out with, but since it's just you, I need you to be extremely careful, Ember."

I snorted. "I know how to take care of myself."

I met her gaze through the mirror and instantly regretted it. Her eyes were narrowed. Amber eyes pinpointed on mine. I swallowed the lump in my throat. "Oh, I'm aware." She quietly snarled. She turned from me and walked back over to the dresser. I turned in my chair and watched as she sifted through something I couldn't make out. "I'm sorry," I soothed. Fighting back never worked with Reighla. I learned that the hard way. Shutting down whatever idea I put in her head was usually the way to go. "I didn't mean it like that." She was thinking about Minette. I could tell. She never approved of this whole endeavor. I'm hers and only hers. That's the narrative that runs through her mind. Minette is someone in the way of what is "rightfully" hers.

"I just meant," Reighla turned back to me, amber eyes searched mine. "That I can take care of myself. You taught me how to. I'm not weak."

She smiled at that. It was a wide grin. Full of wicked intent. "Oh, I am very much aware of that, my dear." She beamed, making her way over to me. She stopped right in front of my face. She cupped both cheeks in her hands. My pulse thundered through my veins at her closeness. I was scared to come on this trip alone with her. If Faune was here, she'd never get this close with me. Complimenting me when no one was around. She'd back off. But Faune wasn't here. I was fair game. I was so stupid agreeing to her offer. I just needed to get away. From Faune and Lokas. My stupid feelings for him. I needed to be as far away from home as possible. After everything that had happened in Brallen . . . a break was nice. Faune and Lokas fussed over everything. Every little move I made they watched. Looking to see if I was in pain or not. It was insufferable. I was glad I left. But it sucked that it meant I had to be alone with Reighla. She had meetings pretty much all day. But, when she wasn't at them I was expected to spend time with her. Whatever the fuck that means exactly.

"That's what I love most about you," Reighla said, smiling down at me. "You are never weak. You never give in. Never stop fighting. There is a reason why you're my pairing. We're strong and wicked." She laughed. I smiled back at her. Pasting the innocent smile on my face. I hated when she used that word. Pairing. Reminding me that I am always hers. Gods, if I could I'd shrivel up in a hole and die. Just if it meant I could be freed.

Reighla leaned down and kissed my forehead. I stiffened, but quickly forced myself to relax. Submission. Reighla needs it to survive. She needed me to be as submissive as possible. I forced my eyes closed. Reighla pulled back and my eyes fluttered open. She ran the pad of her thumb along my cheek bone. She watched her thumb move in concentric circles for a beat before she pulled away. She walked away from me and towards the door. I could finally breathe again. My heart began to finally slow and returned to its original constant rhythm.

"I have meetings with the envoy from Llyria all day today. I'll see you for dinner?" She asked, throwing on a beige trench coat. I smiled and nodded. "Sure." She nodded curtly then left our suite. I slumped in my chair. Gods, dinner would be . . . interesting. I ran my hands up and down my face. I wasn't going to think about all of this. I had the entire day to myself. I could do anything I wanted. The day was mine. I straightened and pushed out of my seat. I walked into my room and grabbed my money pouch. I grabbed one of the small backpacks Reighla packed me. It matched my flats. A pretty egg-shell white colour. I put my pouch into my bag and then strapped it to my back. I looked around my room. The maroon colours felt so overwhelming I might've just thrown up. I made the mistake of telling Reighla it was my favourite colour and now everywhere we stay I always have maroon sheets. It's a bit much. But I guessed it meant she cared . . . right? I shook my head and grabbed the spare room key that Reighla gave me. It was on the dresser. I pressed the small key into the palm of my hand and placed it into my bag as well and took off. I locked the door behind me and descended the stairs down to the lobby. A purple concierge smiled at me. I returned the smile. I began to walk again but stopped short. I didn't have a map. That would be very helpful while wandering through Kryler. I turned back to the concierge. "Excuse me," I said, to him as I walked back to the purple elf. He smiled and nodded his head, urging me to continue. "I'm sorry to bother you, but would you have a map of the city, by any chance? I felt like exploring the town, but I don't know where to go." I let out a nervous chuckle and continued, "Do you have any? If it's not too much trouble?" I asked, the elf beamed. It appeared that he didn't get asked for help often. Poor guy, had to stand there all day and wait.

"Of course, it's no trouble at all!" He beamed, he turned around to the table behind him and pulled out a white brochure. He whirled around to me, I almost jumped back. This guy was very eager to help me. I didn't know if I should be creeped out or flattered. I hoped for the latter. He opened the brochure and gestured for me to look. I stepped up beside him and leaned down to see it. A beautifully designed map was laid out. It looked very life-like. There was a table of contents, depicting where all the hot spots were. There were trees and mountains drawn on. Showing off every little crevice of Kryler. It was spectacular. It didn't look like any of the brochures we got when Reighla and I had first arrived.

Realization hit me. "Did you make this?" I asked, awe dripped off of my tongue as I stared at the map. I looked up to him to see a pink blush rising onto his lilac cheeks. He was a beautiful shade of purple. I think everyone in Tennia was just automatically gorgeous. I envied all of them.

He nodded his head. "It's beautiful." It told him.

"You flatter me, Miss."

"I wish I could draw like that. You have a gift." I said truthfully. He really did have a gift. It was the most lovely and detailed map I had ever seen. He shook his head and smiled at me. His face lit up. I assumed no one had ever told him he was talented. Perhaps he had never told anyone about it. His drawing. What a shame. If I had talent like that I'd show the entire world. Make everyone envious of my artistic skills. Alas, all I could ever draw were stick people. I made a mean stickfigure.

He pointed one of his long fingers at a cobblestone building. "Here is an amazing pastry shop. Their croissants are to die for." He told me. "It isn't too far from here. Maybe, about a ten minute walk." He tilted his head to the side and then looked at me. "Do you like to read?" He asked me.

"I love it."

He smiled at that. "Had a feeling." He remarked, he turned his head back to the brochure and pointed at building two away from the pastry place he had suggested. "Ava's Book Emporium. She has the best books in the country. She hand binds a few of them. Or if folk wish to publish their work she helps them do it. Ava is a lovely woman, you should really go and talk to her. Tell her Emile sent you, she'll help you out." He smiled at the last part. I did not. My mood instantly fell. I haven't heard the name "Ava" muttered in a very long time. I don't even refer to Mama as Ava. Gods, I missed her. It was so hard to breathe without her in this world. My chest felt heavy. My whole body felt weighed down. I really needed her right now.

I pushed down my feelings and gave the man-Emile-a small smile. He handed me the brochure, folding it back to the small paper it was before. I took it and tucked it under my arm. I stook out my hand, Emile grasped it, shaking it lightly. "Thank you, Emile."

He beamed, "Of course." I nodded once at him and took off. Taking the brochure out from under my arm and opening it to its original size. I looked down at where Emile pointed to the little pastry shop and set off. I walked down the beautiful bustling streets of Kryler and found myself so absorbed in them. They hadn't even blinked an eye at me. It hadn't seemed to matter that I was of a different race and colour. They had just accepted me. If only Moriella was as accepting. The looks I had seen given to Lokas and Eden while on missions were awful. Merchants refused to talk to them in some of the older provinces of Moriella. Brallen was very old school. They weren't very fond of people who didn't look like them. It's disgusting. Made me want to bash everyone's head in. I had tried too, Lokas wouldn't let me "cause a scene". If they were able to shoot them dirty looks and shun them, then they could deal with my wrath. Eden and Lokas had thought otherwise. When we're all freed of Minette I told Lokas we'd move out here. Or to Llyria.

He agreed.

I found myself enthralled by everyone. The hustle of the beautiful streets. Merchants selling fine jewelry and perfumes. I wandered up to a couple. I found a beautiful dagger. I couldn't help myself from buying it. A diamond shaped lapis jewel sat at the pommel of the dagger. White thorns had been drawn in. Covering the jewel in fierce spikes. It reminded me of myself. I knew I had to have it. I bought it right then and there. It looked like my heart. A beautiful jewel guarded with a strong wall of thorns. A defence system. Like a thick jagged fence keeping out any intruders from coming in and breaking it. Ruining it. Protecting the jewel with everything it had.

Unfortunately, my heart had already been ruined. But, the dagger felt like a message of some sort. I couldn't place my finger on it. But it had.

I paid the vendor, he offered me a black sheath for it. I attached it to my waist. Hidden beneath my blue sweater. The leather was cool against my skin. The dagger felt like nothing. It didn't weigh me down. If anything, it kept me up. Kept my spine straight and chin high. I was already in love with it.

I wandered around or a bit more before finally coming to the pastry shop. The minute I had stepped inside, the sweet smell of sugar and cinnamon hit my nostrils. Good gods, pastries could kill me and I'd say thank you. This was a good way to die.

Little white tables had been set up. A handful of Tennians sat at them. A family was sat at one of them. A little girl with baby pink skin and strawberry hair stuffed her face with powdered covered donuts. She squealed as she bit into one. Jelly exploded across her face. Her parents tilted back their heads and chuckled. They all looked so happy.

The mother picked up a napkin and wiped her daughter's face. Her long grey fingers working miracles. Wiping away all the purple jelly from the girl's face. The little girl giggled when her father pinched her now clean cheek. He stared at her with admiration on his face. Admiration for the child sitting across from him with jelly in her hair.

Tears began to prick my vision. It made me wish for a family like theirs. Wished to have my mother wipe jelly out of my hair and giggle at the silliness of it all. To watch Faune doubled over in her seat as she howled at me with jelly stuck up my nose and coated in my eyebrows. It made me wish for a family. A proper one. One that loved me. One that I could lean on.

I swallowed my emotions and walked out of the bakery and towards the book emporium Emile had pointed out. It wasn't too far from the bakery. Just a couple of streets away. Emile's map had been so detailed and precise it was hard to get lost. I stared down at the map, looking for the bridge I had found yesterday. The bridge I had sat on and met the strangely beautiful man. The man who stared down at me like I was a puzzle he had to figure out.

I couldn't find the bridge. It was strange. I had thought it would be there. I found it randomly yesterday. While I was walking through the forest.

The forest is on the map. It's in the top left corner. Thick lush trees had been drawn in. I almost snorted when I noticed that Emile had drawn in a number of small eyes. Red eyes glaring at me. They were covered in shadows. Billowing across their hidden features. He was very creative, I'd gave him that. But I highly doubted there was anything lurking in the forest. It had seemed so open and bright when I went yesterday.

I brushed Emile's drawings off as just his creativity.

I looked up from the map. I had found the bookshop. A smile spread across my face. Gods, it'd been forever since I bought a book. After what happened in Brallen I hated to be in my own thoughts. I went on extra missions for Minette, or wandered through Marelli. Just anything to keep it off my mind. To keep that gods-awful word from my mind.

Books were all I ever wanted to do before. I needed to get back into reading. I was in the biggest slump. An idea sparked. I'd buy a crap ton of books from the emporium and then go back to the pastry shop. I'd sit in there all day and read. Until Reighla needed me back. I could explore tomorrow. Today, I would read and read and read.

I liked that plan.

I walked through the crowd of people and towards the shop. The minute I stepped in my jaw dropped. I had to pick it up off the floor.

I had never seen so many books before.

Beautiful leather bound books in large and tall dark spruce shelves. In the center of the shop was a metal spiral staircase. It led to an upstairs. I could see a few people mingling around up there when I craned my neck back. I smiled at everything and set off.

I wandered through every single aisle.

Hours passed before I had finally found the books I wanted. I settled on a historical romance and a book about Tennia and its history. I love history. It's fascinating to read about how everyone used to behave and act. To study how everyone lived before now. I still can't imagine living in a world without hot running water and electricity. Sends shivers down my spine.

I proceeded to the checkout, my books in arms, when I felt someone tap me on the shoulder. I instantly whirled around, my left hand let go of the books and reached for the dagger hidden underneath my sweater. Instincts took over as I stomped on whosoever foot was behind me.

They yelped and danced away from me. I attempted to unsheathe my dagger and tried bringing it up to their throat, but a hand stopped me. Gripping my wrist tightly and wrenching my hand away.

"Well, I'd say it's a delight to see you, Hannah, but considering you were about to try and slit my cousin's throat I'll have to refrain." My head shot to the deep voice that drawled from my side.

It was him.

The man from yesterday. He looked as handsome as ever. Dark night hair billowed across his forehead in a perfect swoop. Gold eyes locked on mine. He towered over me as he held my wrist. I jerked against him, he didn't even flinch. Gods, he was so strong. I twisted in his hold. He smirked, a dimpled appeared in his left cheek. I glared at him. "Let me go, Bob." He groaned at the name and shook his head.

The man I stomped on came back over to us. "Why is she so violent?" Bob's cousin asked. I whipped my head to him. He looked somewhat similar to Bob. Same dark hair and gold eyes. Same angular nose and sharp jaw. But where Bob's skin was tawny, this man had pale skin. Like mine. He was drop dead gorgeous. What, were they made in a factory of some sort? Bred to be so handsome that when you look at them they make women throw their husbands over bridges to drown allowing them freedom to be with these men? It sounded preposterous. But I had a feeling it was true.

Ugh, I hated them.

"I'm violent when some pervert touches me." I snapped. The man in front of me's jaw dropped. "Pervert-?" He sputtered.

I shot my head back to Bob. "What do you want?" I hissed. He inclined his head and assessed me. His golden eyes looking over my body from head to toe. My skin burned as he stared at me. Anger burning the tops of ears. As his eyes met mine again he smiled. His eyes were an intense amber as he stared at me. His pupils dilated slightly. He plucked the books out of the crook of my right arm. Letting go of my wrist in the process. My eyes widened. "Give that back!" I protested. He didn't. I lunged for him but he danced away with his swift elegant grace. Damn him.

"Romance, huh?" He asked, one dark brow raised.

"Stop it." I spat as I lunged for him once more. He chuckled and dashed away. I raced after him. His cousin hot on my ass throughout the store. He leaped over a box of books in front of me. He landed with agile grace. Fine, if he wanted to place this game-so could I. I hurtled over the boxes and knocked them down before his cousin could jump over. I heard him curse from behind me, but didn't stop as I chased Bob down.

Bob raced down an aisle. I pushed my legs to move faster and pumped my arms agressively-willing them to move faster. He was not going to best me. I was Minette's protegee. He couldn't get the upper hand. I wouldn't allow it. I also didn't need him looking through that book and humiliating me. It was not in the normal romance section-

Suddenly Bob came to a stop and I didn't have enough time to stop. I rammed right into him. We both fell to the floor in a heap. I was laying on his back. I took it to my advantage. I pinned his wrists above his head. Squeezing tightly. "Give me my book." I bit out. He chuckled from underneath me. It rumbled through his body. I rolled my eyes and squeezed him harder for emphasis. He grunted and let go of my book. "Okay! Okay! I surrender. You can take your book back." I snatched my book as fast as possible. Letting go of his wrists in the process. I inspected it. Looking for any signs of it being damaged. Luckily, it was in perfect shape. I growled and smacked him on the head. "Ow," he said, "what was that for?"

"That was for taking my book and making me chase you down, asshole." I barked with enough venom to make any sane person stand down, but not him. He laughed. I smacked him again and jumped off of him. Kicking him in the shins for good measure. I began to walk away when I was pulled back. My body was pushed against the bookshelf. My book slipped from under my arm. Fucking hell. Bob had me caged in with his body. His massive chest pressed against mine. There was no space between us. My breathing was ragged. My face was angled up to his. His face was bent as he peered into my soul. Those golden eyes lit up by flames. I didn't know what he was doing. I didn't know what he wanted to do, but I didn't find myself pushing him away. It was physically impossible to look away from him. To stop staring in his amber eyes. I felt intoxicated. Inebriated on the closeness of us. It was so fucking confusing. What was he doing?

He smirked, that stupid dimple appearing.

"That wasn't very nice." Bob noted. I'm thrown out of the stupor. My anger bubbled to the surface again. "You were the one who stole my book and ran through the store with it!" I snapped. He inclined his head, as if he were about to agree with me. "That was after you stomped on my cousins foot and tried to stab him with whatever is hidden underneath your sweater." He countered. I glared at him. What was he getting at? He was doing a superb job at pissing me off, that was for sure.

"I suggest you back up, Bob. Or I'll show you what the thing under my sweater can do." I threatened sweetly. Bob tilted his head to the side and smirked. There was no dimple that time. He leaned down to my ear, his breath fanned across my bare neck, sending shivers down my spine.

"Please do." He whispered.

My pulse started pounding through me. I couldn't move. I was paralyzed under his gaze. He began to pull away. Grinning from ear to ear at the fact that I froze. That I didn't attack him. Jerk. He was such an asshole-

"What the-" We both jerk our heads to the voice. It was his cousin. I guess he finally recovered. Bob looked dazed, I took it as an opportunity. I elbowed him, hard, in the gut, picked up my book from the floor and dashed away. Bob groaned, I heard faint chuckling but didn't turn back. I slipped around the bookshelves and took the long way to the counter. Not wanting to run into them again. I frantically looked around for them. I couldn't see them. Thank the gods. I walked up to the counter and paid for my books. I didn't ask for Ava or tell her that Emile sent me. Not with those two assholes still in the store. I'd come back tomorrow and look for her. Tell her Emile sent me to her.

I took my change from the gentlemen behind the counter, thanked him, and quickly left. I threw the door open and took off, hoping to put as much distance as possible between me and this store. But, something stopped me. I hadn't heard the door slam shut behind me. I turned around and instantly regretted it. Both males were sauntering over to me. I groaned and started to hastily walk away from them.

"Where are you going?" One of them called. I didn't care enough to turn around and look who it was. It was one of the jackasses, and that was enough for me. "Away from you." I called back.

One of them gasped dramatically. I rolled my eyes and quickened my pace. I turned down a quiet street and cursed myself for ending up in an alley all alone. Fine if this was going to go down then so be it. But, I was the one walking out of this alive. I couldn't give a rat's ass if they were two strong elves with heightened senses and speeds. I was Moon-Bound and one of Minette Gaeth's bastards. I could handle myself.

I continued down the alley until I felt a hand at my wrist again. I dropped my books and ripped out my new dagger from under my sweater. The dagger was nicely balanced in my palm. I flipped it up in the air, caught it, then slashed at one of the jackasses. Whirling around in an arc.

My blade struck flesh. It was Bob who I hit. He hadn't even winced. He stared at me amusedly. It made my blood boil. I lunged again. Slashed with my left hand and elbowed him with my right arm. He blocked the blow, throwing up his arm to deflect my elbow and side-stepped my left hand. He attempted to disarm me. Stupid elf.

I dropped to a crouch and sweeped out my leg, knocking him on his ass in the process. I sprung on him. I straddled him and pressed my blade into his throat. Bob was grinning from ear to ear. I bared my teeth and whipped my head up to see his cousin leaned up against the wall of the alley. By the back entrance to some shop. He stared at me with the same stupid grin on his face as the buffoon underneath me.

I narrowed my eyes at the cousin. Suddenly Bob's hands were on my hips. Holding me to him. I whipped my head back to him. "You're giving me some wicked ideas, Hannah." He finished a wink.

I pressed my dagger harder against his throat. "Touch me again and I'll gut you." I said sweetly, the male beneath me smirked. That infuriating dimple appearing in his left cheek. I bit my tongue to stop from bristling. He tilted his head to the side, amusement lingered in his eyes. I pressed my dagger harder against his throat once more. He released a breathy chuckle. The movement caused blood to spill down his neck. I watched as the red liquid trailed down him. He didn't seem to notice. His eyes were trained on me. "I love it when you're violent." His grip on my hips tightened. He winked again and flipped me over. My back crashed into the stone. I tried to jerk free, to slash him with my dagger. That didn't work.

Bob pinned my wrists above my head, causing my blade to slip from my grasp. I had let out an annoyed grunt. Why couldn't he just leave me alone? I wasn't bothering him. He came to me. I just wanted to read my new books and eat jelly donuts at the pastry shop. Why couldn't he just leave me be?

Bob smiled down at me. My Boundment roared under my skin, I was about to let it all out on him. Let Gatsby, Brutus and Rora rip him and his cousin to shreds. But he started talking.

"Who are you?" He asked.

I scoffed and squirmed underneath him. "That is none of your fucking business." I attempted to use my Metal-Bound to draw my dagger back to my hand but he kept distracting me.

"Why can't you just answer the question?"

"Why can't you just let me go?" I countered.

"Tell me who you are and I'll let you go."

I stopped fighting him. His eyes weren't filled with amusement. He was serious. No more joking around. I was never joking. That was all him. Gods, this man aggravated me.

"Fine," I spat. "My name is Ember Ryvergrave."

He narrowed his eyes. He looked up at his cousin. Some unspoken words I didn't understand. I jerked from underneath him. "Let me go. I told you who I was."

His eyes returned to mine. My breath snagged in my chest at the intensity in them. The fire in his eyes. Dear gods. "No."

"No?" I asked incredulously. "I told you who I am. Now let me go!"

"You didn't tell me who you truly are. Who you work for. Who you're here with." He replied. My eyebrows shot to the fucking stars. Who I was working for? Who I was here with-?

"Tell me who you are, Ember Ryvergrave." He drawled.

My face contorted in a scowl. "I'm a part of the Band of Bastards. I work for my mistress, Minette Gaeth. I am here with the Queen of the Witches." I spat every word like they were venom. It felt good to watch his eyes turn to saucers. That wasn't the answer he had been looking for. He had clearly known either Minette or Reighla, but he didn't expect me to know them. Another trick I had pulled up my sleeve. I said the right thing to distract him. To throw him off guard. I fought and failed to fight the smirk that crawled up my lips. "How-" He started, he was distracted, yet again. Always a stupid thing to do with me. Especially when I am pinned underneath someone.

I brought my head up and smashed it into his forehead. He cursed and staggered off of me. I sprung up, my discarded dagger in hand. I stood in a defensive position. Calculating how I could come out of this with my head still on. I could take them. I knew I could. I had my Boundment and my training as a Bastard. Hopefully I wouldn't have to use my Boundment, but if it came to it I would. I wouldn't have to worry about a thing if I could freely use my Bound. Well, it would've been unfortunate if they had powers. Elves are usually blessed by the Series one gods. That would be very unfortunate if they were blessed by one of them.

"You can stop with that," the cousin said from behind me. I didn't turn around, I didn't have to. He walked up to stand before his cousin, who was glaring at me. Gods, if looks could kill I would've been dead.

"We're not going to hurt you. We were just curious about you." The cousin assured me. Did I believe him? No. Not for one second. I laughed a humorless laugh. "Can't say the same for you two though." I informed the pair. The cousin laughed. He opened his mouth to say something infuriating-no doubt, but was stopped by a loud bell tolling. The pair's eyes widened. They looked at each other. Realizing something. Something they wouldn't say out loud. I glared ferociously at both of them.

Bob turned back to me. Gold eyes met mine. Time seemed to stop. Even though the bell had been tolling in the background, signifying time was indeed passing, it didn't seem to as he stared at me. And as I stared right back. Gold eyes swallowing me whole. Putting me in a trance. How was he doing this to me? I had never felt like this since . . . Lokas. And even he couldn't make me feel like that anymore. It was pure sadness when I stared at Loke now. Never this anymore.

Bob cleared his throat and shifted from one foot to the other. "We have to go." He breathed. He walked up to me. I straightened my spine and lifted my chin. He stopped once he was directly in front of me. "This conversation isn't over." He stated.

I narrowed my eyes. "Pardon me? I'm pretty sure it is."

"No," he growled, "it's not."

I crossed my arms over my chest. "Well, you two have to leave, and I'll go as well. We won't see each other again, and for your sake, you better hope you don't see me again. Today I was nice, tomorrow I'll be sure to come with my fucking cross bow, Bob."

He ignored the last bit. "Then I'll find you."

"No you won't," I shook my head, and grinned. "I'm good at hiding. Remaining unseen."

He grinned back this time, my stomach flipped. "And I'm good at finding people."

"I highly doubt that." I challenged. Bob's eyes glinted with amusement and challenge at my statement. The bell tolled again. He looked up, I was over all of this. I stepped away from him. Grabbing my dropped books, once more and began to leave the alley. I walked a few steps before his voice rang through my ears. Causing me to instantly scowl.

"I will find you. I found you today, and I'll find you tomorrow. I will always find you, Ember Ryvergrave." Bob called from behind me. His tone was hard. No amusement or playfulness in his voice. I didn't turn back around.

I raised my favourite finger in the air and said: "Whatever helps you sleep at night, sweetheart." I heard his cousin chuckle.

Once I rounded the corner and was out of eyesight I broke into a run. Sprinting as far away from them as possible. My heart thundered in my chest and my lungs burned as I pushed myself to go as fast as possible. I ran until I reached the hotel. I hurried past Emile and instantly felt bad. His face was filled with eagerness. He wanted to hear about my day no doubt, but I couldn't talk to him. Not until I was back in my room. Not until my door was locked and I had every weapon I owned in my hand.

I fumbled for the key in my backpack. My shaky fingers grabbed onto it and pulled it out. I unlocked the door and flew in. Locking every lock on the door before I bolted into my room and locked that door too. Reighla wasn't back yet. Thank gods, I couldn't explain what happened to her. She'd go hunting for the two of them. I just needed to calm down. Get my head screwed back on. Then I would be fine. I would be fine. They wouldn't find me. There was no possible way for them to find me.

But, Bob's promise had struck me.

I knew he meant it.

That he would find me. That he would always find me. Dear gods, why couldn't he just leave me alone? Why couldn't I just spend the summer alone and enjoying the city of Kryler?

Bob was starting to be a pain in my ass.

He bothered me the first day we met. Yesterday, on the bridge. He was an asshole. Claiming it was his spot. Saying a gods-damned bridge was his. How privileged did he think he was to assume that he owned that bridge? That no one else could possibly want to be there?

Oh, I hated him.

I hated how he targeted me. I hated how privileged and entitled he thought he was. I hated how he made me feel vulnerable. But I hated how he made me feel the most. His gaze sent butterflies through my stomach. I hated how I remembered how his long delicate fingers felt on my hips. How they held me so securely to him. I hated that I imagined what it would feel like if he had moved his hands farther down. How they would've felt all over my body. How they would feel touching and squeezing-

I hated him.

Stupid, treacherous, fucking body.

I walked through my room and to the ensuite bathroom. I turned on the shower and stripped down. I entered the freezing cold shower. I cursed and hissed the entire time.

Tomorrow he wouldn't find me. I would make sure of that.

And if he did, I'd be ready.

He wouldn't leave this time with a smirk on his face. He'd go screaming.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15M 587K 78
(Complete) After Seren is assaulted by someone in her friend group, she begins to fall deeper into the depths of her depression. No one seems to noti...
462K 1.9K 21
So each chapter will have a different kink theme, example: knife play, Gunplay, Praise, Daddy kink, Dirty Talk, Choking, BDSM, Masochist+Sadism, Bein...
Remember By Alexis

Mystery / Thriller

105K 13.4K 101
Imagine being stranded in the middle of nowhere with no memory of who you are. You randomly walk into a coffee shop, clueless. You start questioning...
360K 23.7K 20
Taehyung, a sweet boy with minimalist thinking, runs his own flower shop. He has always loved plants and likes to stay on a calm and colorful side Je...