The Price of Pride

By nickym96

Events leading up to and following the tragic beach dinner date (episodes 39-41) still haunt both Emir and Re... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41

Chapter 12

630 26 4
By nickym96

Reyhan sighs contentedly and sinks deeper into the best warmth she's felt in a while. She doesn't recall her pillow being this comfortable. Its arms wrap around her and her eyes snap open when she realizes that pillows don't normally have arms.

"Good morning, Sunshine."

She looks up into Emir's smiling eyes. It takes her a few seconds to process where she is. Still the hospital. But a new room. She remembers now how they all fell asleep together. But now, she finds herself alone in the bed with Emir.

"Ayla? Where's Ayla?"

The little girl had served as a much needed barrier between them last night. But she's nowhere in sight now.

"She's already had her check up this morning and got her medication. Everything is good with her, so the nurses took her to the play room for a bit," Emir explains. "She still has a couple of friends there from before. She was pretty happy to see them."

"Oh," Reyhan nods. She sits up, swinging her legs over the side of the bed and turning her back on Emir. She's still trying to recover from waking up wrapped up in his arms and can't bear to look at him just yet. "Are my doctors coming here to see me?"

"No, we'll get you dressed and take you straight to your therapy. The doctor will check in with you there."

He climbs out the other side of the bed and stops to stretch, letting out a loud yawn while he's at it. Reyhan feels bad for him. He's been so busy working and staying at the hospital with her, and now Ayla. He can't have been getting much rest. This must be the first time he's slept in an actual bed in awhile. The sacrifices he's made for her are really starting to sink in. Just when she thinks her heart can't belong to him anymore, something like this plants him there even more firmly.

"Let's get you up and changed," he says when he comes to stand in front of her.

The panicked look in her eyes hurts a little, but he understands.

"You want me to get the nurse?" he asks, stroking her cheek with a finger until she looks up at him. She just nods. He kneels down so that he can look her straight in the eyes.

"Listen, I know this is new for both of us. We have to get used to each other. Take as long as you need, Reyhan. I'm not going anywhere. Okay?"

"I guess I'm just still surprised that you want this," she says quietly. "With me."

"I do," he assures her. "But only what you're willing to give me."

He gives her another smile before standing up and kissing her on the forehead. He takes her hand and kisses that too. Then he surprises her by turning her hand over, slowly and sensually kissing the inside of her wrist. And she briefly wonders why she suddenly can't breathe.

"But," he adds, his grin turning slightly wicked as he rubs the spot he just kissed. "One of these days I will be kissing and tasting every inch of this delectable skin. So get ready. I'll get to see how far this beautiful blush goes."

"Emir!" she squeaks out in shock when he sneaks one more kiss, this time on her neck.

After, she just shakes her head. She's oddly getting used to some of his outlandishly suggestive comments. And even all the kisses and touches. They make her feel ... desired. Yes. Desired is a good word. For too long he pushed her away and made her feel inadequate and unwanted.

"What?" He gives a fake innocent look that makes her laugh. "Okay, okay. I'm going."

He calls in the nurse and leaves to give them privacy.

"Well you're all red and smiling," the nurse teases her. "Your husband was in a good mood too. Looks like the new room is to your liking."

Reyhan just blushes even more. She's going to kill Emir. If he doesn't kill her first. She raises a hand to her racing heart, still pounding from when Emir was so near. One day he'll make it burst right out of her chest.

"He's certainly a handful," Reyhan finally says once she has her heart under control.

"He's sweet. He really loves you. You should have seen him when you were in your coma. He never left your side," the nurse says with a sigh. "You had all the nurses jealous of you. Who wouldn't want a man that devoted? Your man is one of the good ones. He reminds me of my late husband."

"My condolences," Reyhan adds, giving the woman's hand a pat.

"Sağol, Kızım," the nurse says. "It's been years, but I still miss him every day. You make sure you appreciate that man while you have him, you hear? Life is too short. I think he knows that now after almost losing you. Don't waste the time you're given."

Or the second chances. Reyhan is lucky. She has a second chance not only in life, but also in love. She can't throw it away.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The next few days pass by in a flurry of activity. Once Emir and Reyhan get the approval to take Ayla, things move quickly. With both Ayla and Reyhan still in the hospital, but set to be released soon, Emir needs all the help he can get preparing the house for them both. That's how Zafer finds himself back in Ankara and doing last minute painting of a bedroom in a pale lilac color. Ayla's favorite color. He met the girl in the hospital earlier and he's not ashamed to admit that his new little niece has him wrapped around her tiny fingers. He was more than happy to paint her room whatever color she wanted.

Painting done, he now just has to wait on the furniture delivery to arrive. Ayla's bed was a special order and took longer to arrive than the other furniture. The delivery is set to arrive any minute. He's in the middle of changing his dirty shirt with paint splotches when he hears the doorbell ring. Must be the delivery men.

"Come on in," he yells as he bends down into his bag for a new shirt. He's pulling the shirt over his head when he hears the door open and a gasp.

"Oh my," a soft voice says.

Not a delivery man. He quickly finishes putting on the shirt to greet the unexpected visitor.

"Can I help you?" he asks the flustered woman standing in the doorway. He can hardly blame her for not wanting to come into a house with a half naked man. "Sorry. I had paint on my shirt and I thought you were here with the furniture delivery."

"Um ... I'm Defne," she says, trying to avoid looking at him. "I'm Ayla's social worker."

"Oh! Defne hanim. Of course," Zafer says, holding out his hand to introduce himself. "I'm Zafer."

"Emir's friend. Right. He said you'd be here," she says with a nod, finally looking at him when she realizes he's fully dressed.

Zafer can only wonder why Emir didn't tell him that Defne would be there. Or that she was so pretty. Now that she's finally looking at him, he's noticing that her eyes are kind of hypnotic.

"Before Ayla can be officially placed here, there's going to have to be a house inspection. I came to take a quick look around to make sure there won't be any surprises for Emir and Reyhan," Defne explains. "We all want this placement to go off without a hitch."

"Then by all means ... inspect away."

Zafer gives her his most dazzling smile. He gets a bit of an ego boost when she blushes again.

By the time Defne has gone through the house making notes of things to fix before the official inspection, the furniture has arrived. She helps Zafer and the delivery men place everything where it needs to be. Then she stays to help Zafer finish setting up the room so that Reyhan won't have to worry about doing things like washing the bed linen and making the bed. When they're done, they take a step back and marvel at their work. The room looks like every little girl's dream.

"Ayla is going to love this," Defne says with a smile. "She's going to love it here. Your friends seem like good people. They're going to be good for her."

"They're the best," Zafer agrees. "They're so excited about getting Ayla. She's going to be good for them too. She's going to make them the family they deserve to be. I'm happy for Emir."

"Jealous?" Defne gives him a knowing little grin.

"Me? No," Zafer denies. Almost too vehemently. "This life isn't for me. I can't see myself with a wife and kid. No offense."

She just laughs.

"Why would that offend me? I happen to agree with you," she says. "Although that realization for me came a bit too late."

"Bad experience?" Zafer guesses.

"The worst. Men like him make me think all men are terrible ... no offense," she tosses back at him.

"Ouch," Zafer laughs. "Whoever he is, he's giving us men a bad name. But he was a fool for hurting you. Do you want me to beat him up?"

She eyes him suspiciously.

"You don't strike me as a fighter."

He just laughs again.

"Maybe not. But maybe for you I would be."

That blush again that turns her cheeks the most intriguing color. This time it makes his heart pick up its pace. He shakes his head to come to his senses, not quite understand how he got so distracted in the first place. He doesn't even know this woman. Probably won't ever see her again. Why does that disappoint him?

"It's gotten late," he says, changing the subject. "How about I drive you home."

No, it's best to get out of the same space as this oddly fascinating woman. Just like he told her just a few minutes ago, this isn't a life he's looking for. Better to end this now before either of them get any ideas otherwise.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The sigh she lets out concerns him. She had been on the phone with Defne for the past ten minutes and at first everything seemed fine. Defne had sent pictures of how Ayla's room turned out and the room looked amazing. He's going to have to remember to really thank Zafer. And he's glad his friend had the thought to take Defne home. The woman was at the house as a favor to them. She shouldn't be inconvenienced going home this late.

But a few minutes into the conversation, things somehow took a turn. Now Reyhan looks like she wants to cry. He walks over to sit next to her and puts arm around her. She sinks into him, taking the comfort.

"Well, just keep whatever is still in decent condition to use for the other kids you work with. Kids that may not have anything. We'll get her new stuff."

He waits until she ends the call to give her a questioning glance.

"Earlier today, Defne went to Ayla's old foster parents to get her things," Reyhan explains quietly, not wanting to wake Ayla. She had come back from the playroom exhausted, but happy. She fell asleep almost as soon as they got her tucked into the bed. "It wasn't good. They had thrown everything into garbage bags and left it on the front lawn. She's not sure yet how much is usable still."

"That's fine," Emir says, kissing her on the forehead because she's still upset. "You told her the right thing. We'll get new things for Ayla. And we'll buy double to donate to Defne's organization. Defne doesn't have to worry about the old things."

"That's a great idea! It feels good to be able to help other children."

Her smile makes him melt. But he nearly passes out when she throws her arms around him and hugs him tightly.

"Thank you," she whispers in his ear.

"For what?" he asks curiously.

"For reminding me everyday how wonderful you are. And how lucky I am to be married to you."

He just smiles and shakes his head before grabbing her face.

"You asked for this," is his only warning before pressing a gentle, but quick kiss to her lips.

"You can't say stuff like that without it affecting me," he explains, briefly resting his forehead against hers to continue to breathe her in.

As expected, her cheeks turn that beautiful shade of blush that thrills him. He has to stop himself from kissing them too. He doesn't want to scare her completely. He just wants to keep her off her guard a little. The more she realizes she has to expect the unexpected with him, the more comfortable she'll become with the intimacy he's craving.

"Anyway," he says, trying to change the subject to give her a little time to recover. "We can shop online for some of the basics."

He reaches over for his tablet and pulls up a popular kids clothing site.

"Tomorrow I'll order you a debit card for our checking account so that you can get whatever else she needs," he continues, not noticing when she goes pale.

"Emir ... wait." She's visibly upset now. "Just stop a minute."

He's confused when he notices her distress.

"I don't want the card. It caused trouble last time. Trouble we barely survived," she reminds him.

He just nods and sighs.

"You're right," he agrees. "But it wasn't because of the card. Reyhan, we had so much stacked against us back at home. Mostly my mother and the way she knew me so much better than I knew you. She knew how to play us against each other. And that's exactly what she did."

He puts the tablet down and turns to face her, taking her hands in his own. He needs the connection right now. He knew his mother would cause trouble for them. He just didn't think it would be this soon.

"Reyhan, my mother did a lot," he admits with a pained grimace. "A lot more than you may realize. I'm just now understanding that from the conversations with my father and Zafer. They've been talking to the lawyers trying to figure out how things got so crazy in the first place. And all answers seem to lead back to my mother."

"This has something to do with what you said before," Reyhan guesses. "How someone made you believe terrible things about me."

"You may have thought that I hated you and wanted you gone," he starts. "And at first, I did want you gone. I never wanted to be married. And I resented my father for forcing this marriage. I resented you for not siding with me and telling my father you didn't want to be married to me anymore than I wanted to be married to you. But it wasn't long before my feelings started to change. Everything you did affected me. And sooner than I could accept, I could see us in a real marriage. One filled with love and happiness. Children. That time we spent with Masal showed me how good of a mother you'd be. I was ready to start a family."

"But something changed," she interrupts. "One day I felt all what you just said too. And I was happy for us. I was excited that a real marriage suddenly seemed possible. But the next day, you were cold and distant. As if I had done something."

"You didn't do anything. But I thought you had. After we came back from Erzurum, things were so different. My mother wasn't happy about that. And neither was Cemre. Both women apparently thought when my father decreed I was to be married that Cemre would be that bride. When he came home with you, they weren't happy and had been trying to get rid of you from that point on. But after Erzurum, it was clear that my feelings for you were changing. And then to top it all off, they discovered that my father had drawn up documents to give you a 10% share in the holding. My mother decided to make it look like you had tricked my father into giving you the shares and then married me for the money. That is what I saw that changed everything between us. And instead of being a decent person and talking to you about it, I decided to punish you for it."

She lets his explanation sink in. And when she finally realizes what he's saying, a ball of rage unleashes itself and she can't hold it in.

"Money?" she asks, disbelief clouding her voice. "This has all been about money?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

397K 20.3K 37
"𝘕𝘰, 𝘥𝘰𝘯'𝘵 𝘥𝘰 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴. 𝘔𝘢𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘶𝘮𝘴𝘦 𝘱𝘺𝘢𝘢𝘳 𝘯𝘢𝘩𝘪 𝘬𝘢𝘳𝘵𝘪 𝘍𝘢𝘩𝘢𝘥. 𝘔𝘦𝘳𝘢𝘺 𝘥𝘪𝘭 𝘮𝘦𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘶𝘮𝘩𝘢𝘢𝘳𝘦 𝘭𝘪𝘺𝘦...
11.2K 712 137
Emir Tarhun, a successful yet tormented businessman, is haunted by the memories of his late wife. His father, Hikmet, wishes to see him find happines...
24.2K 763 30
After their terrible split over the summer following the cheating scandal, Reyhan and Emir have finally gotten their relationship back on track. But...
26.1K 508 23
Feriha is a story of janitors daughter and a rich playboy Emir. They meet by chance, but as fate had it they fall in love under most unfavourable cir...