Immortal Child

By Carla_Meyer

As the first female descendant of the first born vampire, Nerice, sixteen-year-old Roxanne Burns is plagued w... More

Author's Note
Immortal Child - Chapter 1*
Immortal Child - Chapter 2*
Immortal Child - Chapter 3*
Immortal Child - Chapter 5*
Immortal Child - Chapter 6*
Immortal Child - Chapter 7*
Immortal Child - Chapter 8*
Immortal Child - Chapter 9*
Immortal Child - Chapter 10*
Immortal Child - Chapter 11*
Immortal Child - Chapter 12*
Immortal Child - Chapter 13*
Immortal Child - Chapter 14*
Immortal Child - Chapter 15*
Immortal Child - Chapter 16
Immortal Child - Chapter 17
Immortal Child - Chapter 18
Immortal Child - Chapter 19
Immortal Child - Chapter 20
Immortal Child - Chapter 21
Immortal Child - Chapter 22
Immortal Child - Chapter 23
Immortal Child - Chapter 24
Immortal Child - Chapter 25
Immortal Child - Chapter 26
Immortal Child - Chapter 27 (Epilogue)

Immortal Child - Chapter 4*

5.9K 73 8
By Carla_Meyer

~CHAPTER 4 -  She's Gone~

Mike

               I had the greatest night of my life. Never in a million years would I have thought that we'd end up together. Roxanne hurt me the day she told me we couldn't be friends anymore. But I loved her too much to hold that against her. I knew someday she would come to her senses. I was just so relieved it happened so quickly. It's like she knew I needed her on that precise night. It’s like my plea for rescuing had been answered.

               I went to our tree to commit suicide. I couldn't live with the heart ache anymore. I just had to escape the wretchedness she had brought upon me. But there she was, like an angel sent from above, rescuing me from my demons. It didn't matter why I went there, all that mattered was that I found her and she found me. I still remember the day she told me off, as though it happened just yesterday.

~ ~ ~

               I was on my way to Roxanne’s house, like any other morning. Everyday we would meet for breakfast at her house and I’d walk her to school. On that specific morning, I sensed something was off about her, she acted differently. I bugged her the entire morning, pleading her to tell me the problem.

               “Just drop it Mike.” she said, turning her back on me. Never had I heard Roxanne speak in such manner. She was the sweetest girl I had ever known, not once raising her voice to anyone.

               I let the subject drop. I didn’t want to upset Roxanne any further. It was obvious something was bothering her, and I was worried sick. I loved her enough to let her be, knowing she’d open up when she felt ready. She was strong and independent, never asking for assistance expect when necessary. She was the most amazing girl I had ever met.

               We arrived at school early, strolling on the grounds. I spotted the cheer squad and shook my head. Roxanne was so enthralled in them; she wanted nothing more than to be a cheer leader.

               “Hey Roxanne.” shouted Kim. I looked around to see her waving frantically.

               Roxanne’s face lit up in excitement, running in their direction. I followed swiftly, not wanting to leave her on her own. I was overprotective of her, especially when it came to cheer leaders. They were ruthless, cunning and uncaring. They would use Roxanne for their own entertainment; use her just to humiliate her.

               “We need a new cheer leader. You got any moves?” asked Kim, smiling deviously.

               “Sure.” said Roxanne, playing it cool and calm.

               She had amazing moves, she was always practicing them, perfecting each stunt she attempted. Kim probably thought she’d make a fool out of herself, because as soon as Roxanne showed them what she got, Kim’s face went blank, all the blood drained from her face.

               “Wow, you’re amazing.” said a girl whose name I did not know. I never paid them much attention, except for Kim. No one could avoid Kim.

               “Hey, how would you like to join the squad?” asked Kim, suddenly excited.

               “Oh-My-God...” said Roxanne, flinging her arms around my neck. “Did you hear that Mike. I’m going to be a cheer leader.”

               “Not if you’re dating this loser.” said Kim, cocking her brow.

               “Excuse me…” I said, but was quickly interrupted by Kim.

               “It’s your decision Roxanne. Just remember, life can be a lot easier as a cheer leader. You can have almost anything you want.” said Kim, fluffing her black hair.

               “We’re not together, just friends.” She said, her cheeks turning red.

               “Even worse..!” Kim exclaimed. “We are your friends now, that is, if you accept the offer.”

               Roxanne stood motionless, staring sadly at me. I knew it then, she was going to tell me off. Cheer leading had always been a dream of hers, and the opportunity for a freshman, was just undeniable. She shook her head at me, tears making their way to her eyes. That was the day she broke my heart into pieces. I watched her walk off with the cheer squad, leaving a shattered me behind.

~ ~ ~ 

               I stood motionless as I replayed the memory over and over in my mind. I had hated her at first, cursing hardships upon her. She had taken my soul with her when she left, leaving me drifting in a motion of nothingness. But I forgave her weeks after; I had missed her too much, though I avoided her at all costs. She had changed more than I would have believed possible, turning into a miniature Kim.

               As I was on my way home, I realized Roxanne hadn’t taken her backpack with her. She left it by our tree, and I knew that if I left it there it wouldn't be there tomorrow. I traced my steps back to the tree, all the time thinking about her soft lips pressed against mine, the scent of her strawberry shampoo tickling my nostrils. I had been pleased she hadn’t worn those terrible green contacts, as I could see Roxanne – my lily.

               When I reached the tree, I retrieved her rucksack, following the path which led to her house. She'd probably already be home, and in trouble with her mom as well, I thought to myself.

               As I was walking down the trail, misplaced in thought, I heard a revolting noise of sucking and gulping. I followed the sound swiftly, and what I found was the most unimaginable thing yet. I was aghast and feeling off-colour.

               There stood a girl holding a limp body in her hands, face smeared with blood and teeth bared like a beast. I was in shock, I couldn't shift. All I could do was glance vacantly as the girl sucked the living out of the body. When I took a closer look, I saw something I recognized. Oh my god, it was Roxanne's bracelet. The flaccid body was wearing her bracelet. It was the one I gave her in kinder garden. Then the realization hit me. This thing was sucking the life out of Roxanne, the girl I loved.

               "Hey you..." I said, as thunderous as I could manage.

               Her head yanked up and twisted in my course. When she saw me, she dropped the body to the ground, racing towards me in lightning speed.

               "What the hell are you doing?" I screamed at her.

               My hands were trembling, my heart pounding manically against my chest, but she just laughed, twisted around and vanished into the shadows of the darkness.

               My mind was tolling over logical explanations, but none came up. I had just witnessed a girl, feeding from Roxanne, running at lightning speed, and who seemed to be more beast than human. I had just witnessed something which only happened in horror movies, yet I knew this was no movie.

               "Mike..." said Roxanne, who laid cringing on the dirty ground.

               Her face was blank, her eyes filled with tears. She was shaking hysterically, shock evident on her face.

               I hurried over to her as rapidly as I could manage. She was covered in blood, though had no signs of any injuries. What has this creature done?

               "Help me Mike..." said Roxanne.

               I had to help her; I had to get help for her.

               "I'll be right back." I said as I rushed over to her backpack.

               I was searching for her cell phone, though the darkness prevented me from seeing clearly. She had so many unnecessary things in her backpack, which made it even more difficult.  

                "Darn it, where's that stupid phone." I said, as I threw out all the contents. "I'm going to call for help." I said but as I twisted about, her body was gone.

               "ROXANNE!!!!!" I screamed into the stillness of the darkness. There was no respond, only the sound of my echoes. I had no idea what I was to do. I wanted to run after her, but I knew that was hopeless. I would just get myself lost, and that wouldn’t help either of us.

               “The police.” I said quietly to myself.

               I knew that was my best option, I knew they had a better shot than I did. I rushed to Roxanne’s house as swiftly as I could, all the time thinking about her. As I reached the front door, I didn’t waste time on catching my breath. Breathing seemed insignificant with Roxanne missing. I hammered on the door countless times, until I could hear Mrs. Burns stumbling down the stairs.

                "I'm coming, I'm coming." she said in an annoyed tone of voice.

               As she opened the door, she stared at me with a dismayed expression. I knew I had to look like crap, though I couldn’t care as much as necessary.

               "Mike, what happened to you?" asked Mrs. Burns, clutching hold of my fore arm.

               "Roxanne."

                "What? What happened? Where is she?" she asked, in a tone of horror.

                 I had no idea how I was to continue. How does one tell a child’s mother that her only daughter had been snatched by some unknown creature? The thought of Mrs. Burns’s reaction sent chills down my spine; Roxanne was her reason for existing – as she was mine too.

               "She's gone." I said staring down at my shaky hands.

                "What do you mean she's gone?" she asked, yanking me inside the house. She took my face into her hands, shaking me frantically.

               "Mrs. Burns..." I said, though I had no idea how to persist.

               "Damn it Mike, just tell me." I knew had to tell her the truth; she had a right to know what had happened. But what precisely did occur? I wasn't even certain for my part.

               "She was attacked." I said, tears welling down my cheek.

               "What attacked her?” she screeched. “Oh my god, what's going on? I thought she was going to Betty's to finish her assignment?"

               Mrs. Burns was distressed, and vexed. I mumbled on about what I saw, not leaving out one portion of information. I told her how I heard the sickening sound, and found the girl holding Roxanne, to where she sped away and where Roxanne disappeared.

               Mrs. Burns just sat there, staring at me. I almost thought she went into shock or something. Then abruptly she started screaming. She was thrashing and screaming and cursing. I didn't know what else to do.

               "Should I call the police?" I asked her as evenly as I could manage.

               "You mean you haven't phoned them yet? What the hell is wrong with you Mike?" she screamed.

               I felt ghastly for my lack of cooperation – for my idiocy of not phoning the police. But I myself was in shock too. And I never had the ability to handle unpleasant feelings too well. I phoned the police and described the state of affairs. They hung up on me, twice, thinking it was a hoax. So the next time I called, I sounded my voice.

               "Listen to me officer" I said "This is NOT a hoax. Something took her and we don't know where she is. You need to get a search party out there ASAP. So get your stuff together."

           The officer wasn't very pleased about my tendency, but what else could I do? The girl I loved was missing and they thought it a hoax. I knew the story sounded absurd, but I knew what I saw. I knew what happened was real. It was real, wasn't it?

* * *

               Mrs. Burns was sitting on the coach in the living room, staring vacantly in front of her. I didn't know what to do. I haven't spoken to Mrs. Burns in about a year. But I couldn't just sit there and let her go into a trance.

               "Mrs. Burns?" I asked. "Are you alright?"

               "Mike..." she whispered, fidgeting with her hands. “Mike, is she really gone? I mean, am I never going to see her again?"

               I didn't know what to say. Damn it, why was I such a coward when it came to circumstances like these. I never knew how to act or what to say. I knew I should have walked Roxanne home. I shouldn't have left her unaccompanied. But by the appearance of that girl, neither of us stood a chance against her. What de hell was she?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4M 27.9K 51
Seven girls tied by time. Five powers that bind. One curse to lock the horror away. One attic to keep the monsters at bay. ** After the storm of the...
316K 16.4K 56
*Book 1 of the Sin Series* Alpha Titania. The meaning behind her name, the great one; a true essence of her strength. A woman incapable of emotion o...
274 42 39
When Angelique Savant, a quiet, unassuming foster kid with a genius IQ is found not guilty of attempting to murder her best friend, she's committed t...
55K 2.1K 29
[ Major Editing: Spelling Errors & grammar (very slow)] Samantha Black the daughter of the powerful Werewolves. Cathy and Devon Black. They own the b...