Garden | j. green

By humansunflower

in which it was first all a bet to him or in which she learns vulnerability More

GARDEN
001
002
003
004
005
006
007
008
009
010
011
012
013
014
015
016
017
018
019
020
021
022
023
024
025
026
027
028
029
030
031
032
033
035
036
037
038
039
040
041
042
043
044
045
046
047
048
049
050
051
052
053
054
055
056
EPILOGUE
authors note

034

5.3K 263 4
By humansunflower

december 25th, 2019
10:47 am

THE WHITE LIGHTS ON THE CHRISTMAS TREE TWINKLED IN THE CORNER OF THE LIVING ROOM.

The fireplace created an unmatchable warmth that every person currently in the Green household could appreciate.

Noelani was sitting against the foot of the couch with Jurnee laying her head against Noelani's shoulder.

She was quietly reading a picture book version of Twas The Night Before Christmas to Jurnee while the younger girl absentmindedly sucked on a candy cane.

Jalen was sitting on the couch behind them, listening while scrolling through Twitter on his phone.

Bree and Marcus were in the kitchen, conversing about something serious, grave looks etched on both of their faces.

Jalen, Jurnee and Noelani were waiting for Jalen's parents to come back into the room so they could start opening the presents that were waiting for them under the eight foot evergreen pine tree.

"So," Noelani snapped the book closed, "What did you think?"

Jurnee let out an exaggerated yawn, patting her mouth a couple of times, "Ehh. I thought it would be better."

Jalen let out a snicker and put his phone down, "I told you it was gonna be boring."

Noelani playfully slapped his knee, "It's a good story."

"No, it's not," Jurnee rose to her feet, "Mom, can I have hot chocolate?"

Then the girl darted into the kitchen.

"I can't wait for you to see what I got you." Jalen gave her a smug expression.

"I thought I said not to get me anything!" Noelani groaned.

"I know. I heard you." Jalen shot his girlfriend a cocky grin.

Noelani rolled her eyes as she lifted herself onto the couch next to Jalen, "You're irritating."

"You talked to your mom today?" Jalen asked.

"Yeah, she sent me a picture of everyone gathered around the tree. They're probably having the surfing contest right now." Noelani said in a wistful tone.

"All right everyone! Time to open the gifts!" Marcus said, strolling into the living room, Bree and Jurnee by his side.

Jurnee jumped up and down excitedly, "Finally!"

Jalen watched, amused, as his sister picked over the various presents under the tree until she found one that had her name on it.

"Wait Jurnee, read who it's from." Bree prompted.

"It's from Noel. Thank you!" Jurnee grinned before starting to viciously tear through the blue and gold wrapping paper.

It was a new set of 140 Crayola markers complete with an extremely wide drawing pad.

"How'd you get a better gift for my sister than I did?" Jalen whispered.

"It's because I'm better than you, duh." Noelani joked.

"Your turn." Jalen nodded at the box closest to the stem of the tree.

Noelani scowled but used Jalen's knee to help herself off of the couch, "If it's mad expensive, we're taking it back."

Bree and Marcus started to snicker while Jalen rolled his eyes.

Noelani sank to her knees and dragged the box to her with a sole finger.

She had only just started to rip the reindeer covered wrapping paper when the sound of a car pulling up sounded from outside.

Jalen furrowed his brows as he glanced out the window in the living room.

Sure enough, Alejandro was parked in front of the house in his gray truck.

Noelani straightened up on the floor, "Oh, he's early."

"You invited your dad?" Marcus asked, "Jurnee, go upstairs for a minute. We'll continue opening presents in a bit."

Jurnee took the markers and the drawing pad and bounded up the stairs.

"Well, not inside but I did get him something and he got me something. It's Christmas and he's the only family I have on the mainland so," Noelani stood and readjusted the strings on the oversized tie dye Slam Magazine hoodie that she was wearing, "I wanna see him."

"That's mature." Bree said in an admiring tone.

"Ion want you alone with him," Jalen said, rising from the couch as well.

"It's fine. I'm good." Noelani said in a reassuring tone.

"Yeah, you say that until he says the wrong thing and you turn into a wreck again." Jalen stated, planting his feet into his Nike slides by the door, "I'm coming too."

"I need you to trust me." Noelani stated.

Jalen stared into her eyes for a second then sighed, conceding to her, "Fine."

Noelani slipped on her black Uggs and then scooped up a wrapped medium sized box complete with a red bow.

She left the house, closing the front door behind her.

Jalen watched, a little anxious as Alejandro got out of his truck, a Santa hat on his head and a paper thin envelope in his hand.

Noelani walked to him, her back turned to the front of the house.

The two conversed for a bit, both gesticulating wildly.

"Can you breathe?" Marcus teased.

"Huh?" Jalen asked, turning to his stepfather.

"You look like you're gonna pass out, son. You're pale." Marcus commented.

"Aw, young love." Bree continued in the teasing.

Jalen shook his head, "I just don't like her around him. At least not alone. All he does is hurt her."

"It's okay to be concerned but she needs her dad. You shouldn't get in the way if they can make up." Marcus advised.

Jalen pursed his lips, unsure how to respond then turned back to the window to ensure that his girlfriend was okay.

Outside Noelani said something that made father and daughter turn back to the house for a split second.

Then Alejandro gave Noelani the envelope and Noelani gave him the box in her hand.

Alejandro said something then opened his arms wide for a hug.

Noelani hesitated then stepped into his arms, her cheek pressed against his shirt.

The two hugged for a moment then Alejandro pecked her forehead and stepped away.

Noelani said something that made Alejandro grin from ear to ear before stepping back into his truck and driving away.

When Noelani stepped back into the house, Jalen stood up at seeing her eyes red but stopped at seeing the small smile on her lips.

"What happened?" He asked.

"I talked and he listened. It was a nice change. He's sorry and he wants me to come home." Noelani said, adjusting herself back on the couch next to Jalen.

"Do you want to?" Bree asked, "If you're not ready, you're still welcome here."

"Thank you, Miss Bree. But I don't wanna overstay that welcome. Plus I know that him and Erin haven't walked Blue or Cinnamon. They've probably torn up my room by now." Noelani laughed, wiping the happy tears leaking from her eyes.

Bree and Marcus joined in her snickering but Jalen was still slightly concerned for her.

"He got you something?" Marcus nodded to the envelope in her hand.

"Yeah, apparently it's a gift for both of us or whoever I decide to use it with," Noelani said, turning to Jalen.

Jalen furrowed his brows as Noelani slid a finger underneath the envelope flap and ripped it open.

She dug her hand in and pulled out two plane tickets.

"Oh my God. He got me a ticket home. He got me a ticket home! I'm going home!" Noelani cheered loudly.

"Do you wanna go with me?" She squealed excitedly.

"A ticket to Hawaii. That's generous..." Bree trailed off, passing Marcus a worried look.

"Uh," Jalen smiled but glanced at his parents.

"Meet my family please?" Noelani asked.

Jalen peeked at his mother who nodded then grinned, "I would love to."

NOTE FROM KY
vote & comment, porfa!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

141K 2.3K 17
in which i write scenarios about you and a fine ass man.
323K 17.8K 43
in which they both swore it was casual or in which it wasn't casual at all #LLTC
42.5K 1.9K 34
Everything was spinning out of control, until he met her She'd never understood her power, until she met him
132K 7.7K 70
Read part 1, 2, and 3 before this one!