Defined by his past ♤Legacies...

By Deya0302

The past was haunting her. The legacy her father left her was a weight on her shoulders she could never get r... More

Defined by the Past ♤
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Dearest Dad
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Season Two
Chapter 2.1
New Book
Chapter 2.3
Chapter 2.4
Chapter 2.5
Chapter 2.6
Chapter 2.7
Chapter 2.8
Chapter 2.9
Chapter 2.10
Chapter 2.11
Chapter 2.12
Chapter 2.13
Chapter 2.14
Chapter 2.15
Chapter 2.16
Chapter 2.17
Chapter 2.18
Chapter 2.19
Season 3
Chapter 3.1
Chapter 3.2
Chapter 3.3
Chapter 3.4
Chapter 3.5
Chapter 3.6
Chapter 3.7
Chapter 3.8
Chapter 3.9

Chapter 2.2

1.5K 52 27
By Deya0302

A/N: Meh, I don't know what to think of this chapter. My covid head just made this up in just 6 hours.

Ignore the Kai part. It sucks.

Well, the entire chapter sucks.

I just wanted to give you something.

"THIS YEAR WILL BE DIFFERENT"

They weren't having a good day.

Hope and Kayla believed they deserved one freaking day off, to have some peace.

But do they?

Of course not.

Malivore still liked to screw with them, sending more monsters out of his belly.

Starting with a troll like creature they had come across and were now hunting through the woods.

Hope was focusing on the tracks the creature left behind, some kind of purple slime while Kayla dragged her feet behind her, annoyed to be playing hero again.

"Really, shouldn't be like, I don't know, traveling around?" Kayla not for the first time complained, "We can start over, Hope!"

Hope gave her a tired look from behind her shoulder, "You're the one who wanted to return to the school in the first place"

"Says the one who should not want to return there anymore" Kayla countered making Hope wince at the blunt reminder of Landon and Josie. "Hello! Boyfriend moved on. So should you"

"Kay, I say this from the deepest side of my heart that loves you" Hope began, giving up her search momentarily to turn to her best friend, giving her a sweet, sarcastic smile "Shut up and help me look for this thing"

Kayla threw her head back with a long groan, throwing her arms up, "I don't know why you still play being the hero. No one remembers all you've done for them. It's a waste of energy"

Hope didn't answer to that. She knew the reason why she still was haunting Malivore monsters. She felt guilty she didn't destroy Malivore like she had planned to. Something Kayla didn't seem to care.

"You came back rather blunt from Malivore" Hope decided to say as she returned tracking down the troll.

Kayla followed behind, arms crossed over her chest, scowling slightly, "I just came to terms that things are going to be different now. There's no point on mulling over the past like you're so intent on doing"

"I'm not -" Hope turned to Kayla only to see her giving her a pointed look as she gestured around the woods. "Its not mulling on the past. This is me, also moving on"

"Into hunting Malivore monsters" Kayla deadpanned, "Yeah, you're so moving on" she stopped when a disgusting odor reached her nostrils, "Gah, what's that?"

Hope crouched in front of a large branch to see the slime they were tracking was smeared in the fallen tree. "Over here. Found this guy's trail"

For once, Kayla seemed curious following after Hope down the length of the tree, stopping at the edge of the woods, seeing the trail continued toward the local high school.

Kayla grimaced, "Perfect. Monsters and school. The best combination of Hell"

Hope sighed, shaking her head, wondering since when Kayla became so chatty.

~8~

Hope and Kayla walked down the hallways of the school, following the slime trail, seeing there was no student was out, feeling rather lucky to not come across someone witnessing something supernatural.

They followed the trail to a door that said janitorial, looking at each other silently.

Kayla nodded at Hope, stepping back, watching the tribid look side ways making sure they were alone, facing the door, "Dissera Portus"

The door opened up to show nothing inside, just brooms and mops.

The girls relaxed their tense posture.

Kayla shoved her hands to her jacket pockets as Hope began making her way to the janitor closet when a guy's voice coming from one end of the hallway stopped her. "Aren't you a little short for a janitor?" They both turned to face him, startled. The guy chuckled, glancing between the door and them in amusement "It's nice to know I'm not the only one trying to hide out on the first day of school"

Oh, great. First day of school and they looked like scared kittens.

Kayla scowled slightly.

"Oh, no, I-I wasn't hiding" Hope stammered, glancing at Kayla for a little help but the cheeky bitch of her best friend smirked at her, looking away, pretending to not notice making Hope curse mentally as she looked back at the guy "I-I was, um, uh, we were looking for the principal's office"

Kayla rolled her eyes as she heard Hope include her, shooting her a look, "Bitch" she murmured, huffing.

The guy just smiled, shaking his head, "Well, you're in luck. I'm new, too, but I'm pretty sure that's him right behind you"

The guy pointed out behind them.

"Hi" They heard a familiar voice greet them. Hope and Kayla turned around to face Alaric, eyes slightly widening in surprise. What the hell was he doing here and not the Salvatore School? The guy smiled at Alaric, nodding, walking past him, leaving the three of them alone. "I'm Principal Saltzman. Who are you?"

Kayla and Hope stared at him, not knowing what to say.

~8~

Kayla and Hope found each other sitting in front of Alaric at the Principal's office as he looked confused at their records.

Records Hope had conjured up the moment Alaric wasn't looking, however that didn't stop the man from not being oblivious as to what was in front of him.

"You two are blank slates, Miss Hope and Mikayla... Marshall?" Alaric raised his eyebrows. "Parents Tom and Kathleen"

"Don't give us that look" Kayla shot at him, "I'm adopted. That's why we don't look alike"

Alaric had his fair share of students and friends easily getting to the defensive that he barely bat an eyelid at the dark haired girl, "It's not what I meant. No transcripts from your last school"

Hope shrugged, "I think they must've just gotten packed away or something. Like I said, we move around a lot"

Alaric didn't look very convinced, nodding slightly. "Mm-hmm. Well, if you are gonna be here in Mystic Falls, you have to go to school"

Kayla slowly turned to Hope, glaring at her.

Hope just smiled at her sweetly. For being a Bitch earlier.

Kayla blinked in surprise. Did she just...?

Hope turned to Alaric, giving him a slight smile "Well, then I guess it's a good thing we're here, right?"

The school bell rang.

Kayla stood, "Can we go now?"

Hope stood as well as they turned around to leave.

Alaric stood, "You know, I, uh..." Hope and Kayla turned to him. He cleared his throat, "I've got two daughters, and I know when they're not telling me something" Hope and Kayla briefly looked at each other at that. "So, you know, if there's, uh, anything going wrong at home, you know, if you're in any trouble and you need to talk, just know I'm here to help, okay?"

And they both knew he was honest.

It made a lump in Hope's throat as she nodded slightly.

"We're fine" Kayla told him calmly.

Hope glanced at her friend, well sister now in slight surprise. It didn't seem that Kayla was struggling like she was into talking to someone whose been there for them and didn't know who they were. It felt like she was seeing the Kayla who first came to school three years ago. Someone who wanted nothing with anyone, who thought no one was genuine as they let out.

This was a complete setback of the girl who sacrificed her finally stable relationship with her family just so Hope wouldn't be alone. Where was that girl?

It even made Hope want to cry harder as they both left Alaric's office.

Hope had ruined everything, hadn't she?

~8~

Kayla followed a very distraught Hope into the bathroom as she struggled to keep her emotions back in control as she breathed heavily.

"Would you calm down?" Kayla could notice the light shaking of the room as Hope continued breaking down. It was her magic being unstable again. "We don't wanna destroy the school, Hope... And I can't believe I said that"

Kayla grabbed Hope's hand to siphon her so she'd stop using magic. However, Hope couldn't help the shout of pain that ran up her arm as she felt her magic forcefully being taken, body constricting slightly.

"Kay!" Hope exclaimed, wide eyed. Kayla immediately dropped her hand, no longer siphoning, both exchanging a wide eyed look as Hope held her arm, still feeling it tingle from where Kayla siphoned her. "What's going? I, uh, that hurt"

Kayla blinked in surprise, heart racing slightly as she glanced down at her hand. "I took more than I meant to"

And it felt nice.

"It felt nice?" Hope repeated incredulously, not even realizing Kayla hadn't say that out loud but Kayla did, shocked, "Did it feel nice that you hurt me? Talk to me, what's going on? You've been different since I found you in Malivore"

Kayla remained quiet for a moment before opening her mouth "I didn't say that out loud"

"What?" Hope asked confused.

"That it felt nice when I hurt you with my siphoning" Kayla clarified, tilting her head. "Did you mean you enrolled us here at the school for me being a bitch back there with that guy?"

Hope blinked in confusion, "No. I didn't...I didn't say that. I actually thought about it"

"So did I" Kayla told her.

They both stayed quiet for a moment.

"Something tells me there were more side effects than the ones I thought about from your spell" Hope noted.

"Too bad my family's grimoire was destroyed to check it out" Kayla said quietly.

Hope nodded slightly as she turned away from Kayla, resting her hands in the sides of the mirror of the bathroom. "Yeah"

"I'm sorry" Kayla told her. Hope glanced at her, knowing Kayla didn't usually said sorry. "Didn't mean for it to be painful. I don't know what happened"

Hope forced a small smile as she looked down.

The door to the bathroom opened and a girl stood there, analyzing the situation with a sympathetic smile "Boy problems?"

Hope and Kayla turned to face her.

Hope wiped the skin under her eyes, sighing as she gave her a curious look, "Uh, yeah"

"I've been telling her he's a troll" Kayla quipped, glancing between them. Hope gave her a look. "Best friend knows better right?"

"Definitely" The girl agreed, pointing at her, shaking her head at Hope, "And I don't need any details. Leave that out to the bestie, however I can help fix you up and make him jealous" Hope frowned as the girl put her purse down, giving them a smirk as she began roaming through her purse "I have an extra shirt in my locker, and I've got hair spray, lip gloss, and new eyeliner"

Hope and Kayla looked at each other before looking at the girl who placed all the objects she described in front of Hope, starting to smile in amusement.

I do it if you do.

Kayla glanced at Hope, blinking in surprise. We do really can talk in each other's heads!

Hope raised her eyebrows. The girl looked between them, slightly confused. Don't deflect, Mik.

Kayla narrowed her eyes. Don't. My sister called me Mik.

Mik. Mik. Mik.

FINE!

Kayla sighed in defeat before Hope turned to the girl, "Is the offer valid for her?"

The girl glanced at a pouty Kayla, smirking "Of course" The three girls stared at each other. "Maya"

"Hope" Hope told her before gesturing at Kayla, "That's Kayla" Maya smiled. "Thank you"

"Weird question" Kayla turned to Maya, "Um, by any chance, have you noticed a terrible smell coming from somewhere inside the school?"

Hope raised her eyebrows at Kayla.

What? You're the one going after that troll in the first place, not me. I'm giving you a push to the right direction, Ms. my boyfriend dumped me.

That's really low coming from you, Kay.

"I think everyone has" Maya answered, raising her eyebrows.

Hope and Kayla perked in relief. Finally a clue.

~8~

Well, not what they were expecting.

The boys locker room.

And Maya was right. It smelled horrible.

Hope looked at Kayla in disgust, raising her eyebrows. Both girls had make up and different clothes, courtesy of Maya. A human they started to like, something that didn't seem believable.

'She's not native to Mystic Falls' was Kayla's first thought once she realized Maya wasn't that bad. Mystic Falls natives were really annoying.

"Teenage boys plus monster" Hope informed, shaking her head "That's a special combo"

However, Maya wasn't that off in her thinking.

Kayla noticed that slim trail again. "Hope"

Hope walked closer, seeing what Kayla did, both exchanging a look as they followed the trail again.

They were silent and focused they didn't realize someone was behind them until a hand touched their shoulders. Hope immediately swept her feet under the intruder making him fall on his back just in time for Kayla turn around in surprise.

"Okay, my time reaction is definitely bad" Kayla said, slightly wide eyed. "Also, remind me to never sneak up on you"

Hope gave her an incredulous look as she stood over the man, "Seriously?" she paused, "Okay, noted. You and I are having some lessons. That was awful"

Kayla nodded unashamed as they both turned their attention to the intruder as Hope reached her fist up about to hit him.

Only for the intruder to raise his head and arms up in surrender, revealing a wide eyed Alaric "O-kay, okay, allright. Okay, seriously. Who are you?"

Kayla peeked at Alaric from over Hope's shoulder as the tribid relaxed her fist, lowering it with a sigh as she helped Alaric up.

"Ah, my back" Alaric groaned in slight pain, taking a deep breath so the pain could pass without much hurting.

"Oh, no troll at all" Kayla didn't bother hiding her disappointment as Alaric turned to face them incredulously.

Hope rolled her eyes, sighing. "We're vampire hunters"

Alaric gave her a look, letting her know that again he still didn't believe her.

"We came across a creature" Kayla told him.

Alaric now set his unconvinced gaze on the other girl as he fixed his suit coat. "What kind of creature?"

"A creature that's big enough to flip over an empty bus" Hope answered.

Alaric raised his eyebrows.

Not what he meant, buddy.

"It's green, it's ugly and it smells absolutely terrible" Kayla told him. "So, we were going with a troll?"

"It's hiding somewhere inside the school" Hope added.

Alaric nodded slightly, "Uh-huh. And how do you know that?"

"Because I wounded it" Hope answered, gesturing at a slime splash on the ground in front of them. "It's nocturnal, so it hides out during the day"

Kayla nodded, stepping closer to Hope, "We found a legend that says we just have to pierce it through the heart-"

"Listen, you're not doing anything, okay?" Alaric told them. "You're just kids. If there's a monster in my school, I'm gonna take care of it"

Alaric walked past them, letting the two girls stare after him in disbelief.

"No offense, but, um, we've been trying to kill this thing for over a week, and nothing's worked" Hope told him.

Alaric stopped walking, turning around, walking closer to them again. "If you two are vampire hunters, then I'm sure you've heard of Alaric Saltzman?" Hope and Kayla remained quiet making him nod slightly, smiling sarcastically "Yeah. I know what I'm doing"

Alaric turned around to leave again.

"Yeah, you're... very famous around here, but you're gonna need our help" Hope told him.

Alaric stopped, slowly turning to face them as the school bell rang again, this time letting them know he was deadly serious "I have put kids in danger before. And I'm not gonna make that mistake again" He stared at the girls, daring them to defy him as suddenly the team entered the locker room, clearing his throat, raising his voice "Yes, of course, we'd love to have you try out for the team. All are welcome. But certainly, in the, uh, meantime, just go to class and..." He lowered his voice, whispering at them "Stay there"

Alaric turned around, this time leaving.

Fan - Fucking - Tastic.

Hope heard Kayla in her head say sarcastically and she shared the sentiment as they both began making their way out when the guy from earlier stopped them as he fiddled with a football ball.

"So... you two going out for kicker or are you just stalking me?" the guy asked, amused.

Kayla let out a small laugh, nudging Hope as she shook her head, giving him a sarcastic smile "Stalking you? I think it's pretty clear who's stalking who here. Besides, if either of us went out, it'd be for QB1"

Hope smirked as both girls linked arms, leaving the locker room under a chorus of 'oohs' from the rest of the team.

~8~

Kayla made guard on the locker given to her as Hope worked on a potion on her own.

Neither of them were planning on listening to Alaric of staying put. Hope wouldn't. Kayla had been willing to leave when he told them to, not really up to being in the heroics but after the tone Alaric had used on them?...

Her inner rebellious self woke up after two years of being dormant since she stopped trying all different ways of having Alaric want to expel her from the Salvatore school the first few months she became a student there.

And defying authority? Oh, she couldn't wait.

"Is it done?" Kayla asked, keeping an eye out, glaring at the ones who were curious enough about two of the new kids at the school and tried to talk to them only for a narrowed eyed from Kayla scared them off.

Hope nodded as she closed the locker, "Yes. Now let's go save your stubborn uncle's ass"

Kayla smirked, "Don't let him hear you say that. He has no idea I, a spawn of the man who destroyed his happy ending exists"

Hope slowed down slightly, giving her a look, "Are we going to start with that again?"

Kayla rolled her eyes, "I'm joking"

Too bad he won't when he finds out.

"So he won't" Hope told her firmly. "If by any chance Alaric finds out who we are, we're sticking with the whole my family adopted you story, okay?"

"Sure, however I don't see Mr. Klaus Mikaelson being a softie with a girl who shares no blood relationship with him" Kayla replied as they again followed the trail.

By now, everyone was back to classes, where they were supposed to be too. Ah, well, wasn't being rebellious exciting?

"My dad would have liked you" Hope said quietly. That was something she was certain of. Klaus had wanted to make Hope happy, if he saw Kayla made her happy he would have taken her in. Her uncle Kol specifically. He and Kay shared a similar humor. They could be cousins had Kay met her family before all this. "I know"

"I guess we'll never know" Kayla said uncomfortably. They were really close to become sentimental that she had to crush down the moment before it became one and Hope knew exactly what Kay was doing that she didn't mind. She was confident in what she believed in.

~8~

They followed down the trail to the school basement where they found Alaric being punched by the troll, landing backwards in front of them where they hid behind a pillar.

Hope threw the potion she made to the troll's feet

Kayla waved up her hands to the potion. "Sol"

Kayla and Hope covered their eyes, turning their heads away, Alaric realizing something new about them followed their lead.

The troll growled as he got affected from the attack.

Alaric realized his crossbow had been kicked away but a lone arrow was next to him, picking it up, throwing it at Hope. "Hope!"

Hope stopped the arrow with magic mid air, throwing it to the troll, hitting him in the chest.

The troll fall back down, groaning.

Alaric struggled on getting up, the three of them slowly making their way to the troll to make sure it was dead.

They sighed in relief once they realized Hope indeed killed it.

"Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and agree with your troll theory" Alaric told them, shocked that they in fact knew what they were doing.

"Yeah, well, it's nocturnal, so we figured we'd just make some artificial sunlight" Hope explained.

Alaric looked between the two girls, "You didn't... you didn't say you were also witches"

Hope and Kayla looked at each other.

"Look, we're just here to kill this monster, okay?" Kayla told him.

Hope nodded in agreement, "Then we'll be on our way before this gets any more complicated"

"Um... What is that?" They turned around at the sound of Maya's incredulous and scared voice.

Kayla looked at them in frustration, glaring at Hope "You jinxed it"

Hope gave her a look.

Alaric, puzzled by the girls couldn't help but feel a slight deja vu when he heard and saw the way those two girls interacted.

~8~

Alaric had called in MG from the Salvatore School to clean up their little mess.

MG compelled Maya to forget "The sound was just a busted water pipe. And then Dr. Saltzman-"

"Principal Saltzman" Alaric corrected from behind Maya.

MG tilted his head, glancing at him, returning to the compulsion "My bad. Principal Saltzman turned the water off and took care of everything"

Maya stared at MG in a daze as the compulsion sank in, "Wow. Crazy first day, huh?"

"Great" Alaric told her, nodding at the door "You can head back to class now"

Maya nodded slightly, turning around, leaving the office.

MG turned to face Kayla and Hope as they leaned against Alaric's desk, starting to walk to them.

Kayla raised a finger in warning, "Ah. Don't even think about it"

MG looked at them in confusion, turning to Alaric in question.

Alaric frowned, shaking his head.

MG shrugged at himself, turning to the girls, smiling "Uh... Uh, hey, if he trusts you, so do I. Uh, by the way, I don't usually do this. I'm not trying take anyone's agency or anything, you know?" Hope and Kayla smiled slightly sarcastically, nodding. "So, I got to jet. I got a study date with some... uh... Uh, someone" he trailed off as he realized who he was talking to. The father of said person he had a date with "It could-it could be anybody, really"

Alaric smiled in amusement as if he knew what he was trying to say, "Well, thanks for getting here so quickly. I appreciate it"

MG smiled, "Any time. You're... you'll always be my headmaster"

Alaric smiled slightly, looking down as MG walked away, leaving the office.

Hope was the first one to push away from the desk, walking closer to Alaric, "So, uh, why aren't you headmaster of that other school anymore?"

Alaric chuckled without humor, shaking his head slightly "It's a long story"

Hope nodded slightly, "Oh. Okay" she glanced at Kayla as she walked closer "Uh... We'll be back once school lets out so we can clean up what's probably a dead troll"

Alaric looked between them, frowning "You're really not fazed by any of this, are you?"

Hope hesitated, looking at Kayla for help.

"It's, just, uh..." Kayla trailed as she thought about her words carefully "We just think that the story that you told us, about the monsters and the scary black pit, just... makes a lot of sense, I guess"

Hope nodded in agreement, "Um, look, I'm really glad to hear that it stopped" she gestured at herself and Kayla. "We're sorry that it's happening again"

"It's not your fault" Alaric told her.

Hope smiled slightly.

Kayla, who had been looking at her intently, realized Hope was being sincere as if she was truly feeling responsible for Malivore being opened again. She looked at Hope, her eyes trying to say what she'd never say out loud. It's not your fault.

"Now that I know your cover story is a lie, I-I'm assuming Tom and Kathleen aren't real" Alaric told them.

Hope grimaced, shaking her head slightly, "Not the adopted sister thing though. My family did take her in"

In a nice dream I could ever be in a family as warm and loving as yours. Kayla made sure that thought was only for herself and not Hope to hear.

"Okay" Alaric nodded. "The school I used to work at, you two'd be welcome there"

Hope and Kayla looked surprised.

Hope also looked touched but she glanced at her best friend, one who wanted a fresh start now that they had a clean slate and wouldn't want to be there if the only person in the world who knew she existed wasn't there," Oh, um... Yeah, that sounds amazing. But we're just passing through"

Kayla looked at Hope surprised. I thought you wanted-

Not if I'm alone. It's not worth it, Kay.

For the first time since leaving Malivore, Kayla felt warm and loved, not cold and emotionless like she had been acting.

Alaric nodded in understanding, giving them a slight smile.

Hope and Kayla began walking away,

"Hey, look" Alaric speaking got them to stop, turning to face him again at the door "I, uh... I don't really have access to that school's resources anymore, and I'm trying to give my daughters some space. But if these monster attacks are starting up again, I could use the backup. You know, I don't really have anyone else"

We can't get attached to him, right? If we want to start over.

Kayla glanced at Hope, both girls easily gotten used to be able to communicate telepathically with each other that it seemed like a second call to them.

No. But, uh...

Hope nodded, "We work better alone. We always have"

They both walked away, this time actually leaving without waiting for him to stop them again.

~8~

Right when school ended, the three of them went down to take care of the troll.

But there was something in Alaric's mind he couldn't stop from mulling over, "There's, uh, something I want to ask, Hope" Realizing it wasn't about her, Kayla walked past Alaric but could feel his eyes on her momentarily as she turned her back on them "You know, when we were fighting, how'd I know to throw that bolt to you? It was like muscle memory. We've fought together before, haven't we?" Kayla glanced at them, slightly alarmed. Alaric glanced back at her, "Also, the way you defy me and I answer back as if it's something we've done before"

Hope widened her eyes slightly, scoffing in disbelief "What? That seems totally impossible"

Alaric tilted his head, "Yeah, except I live in a world where a creature named Malivore can erase people from your memory" Kayla turned her back on them as Hope stared at him without saying a word. Alaric nodded at himself, realizing he wasn't crazy "I'll take that as a yes"

"Even if we told you, it wouldn't change anything, okay?" Hope told him. "It wouldn't bring your memories back. It would just be words. Leaving will be easier if you don't know"

"Guys" Kayla called out when she reached where the troll was supposed to be.

"Well, then, don't leave" Alaric said as if that was easy for them.

"Guys" Kayla called again only to be ignored.

"You told us that the monster attacks had stopped and then right when we show up, things start happening again" Hope told him. "I'm pretty sure we're the reason. So we can't stay and put all of you in danger"

"Guys" Kayla snapped.

Hope turned, realizing Kayla's voice was serious, giving Alaric one last look before walking to Kayla.

Kayla tilted her head, gesturing to where there was no troll, only a pool of purple slime and an arrow where the creature was supposed to be, raising her eyebrows as Alaric reached their side.

Both Alaric and Hope looked shocked.

"Okay... so... not a troll" Alaric told them.

Kayla raised her eyebrows, "Oh, really now?"

Hope sighed in frustration.

~8~

Again, the three of them followed the trail the monster left behind.

They walked through the houses in town.

"Okay, so if it's not a troll, then what else could it be?" Kayla asked.

"I don't know" Alaric answered, the three stopping in a staircase "But it's here. Somewhere. Question is, why?"

"We're not sure" Hope answered, "I mean, the pattern is that I wound it and then it runs and hides from me. So it must be sticking to the shadows, waiting for it to get dark"

The three of them glanced out to the street as if that could give them a clue of where to go.

"Well, when the monsters came last time, they were always after something" Alaric explained, "See if we can figure out what it's looking for"

Alaric walked up the rest of the stairs, down to the street.

Kayla and Hope nodded, "Okay"

They followed him only for Hope to stop as she noticed someone across the street.

Kayla realized Hope was left behind, turning to her, "Hope?" she followed her gaze to see both Landon and Josie walking across the street, a frown starting to appear as Hope looked away sadly, walking away.

Kayla stared after Landon thoughtfully before Hope called to her. "Kay"

Kayla gave them one last look before following Hope.

"You know, I have a weird feeling that I know who that thing is after" Kayla whispered at Hope.

Hope frowned before she followed her friend's gaze to Landon who stood now alone without Josie, turning to face her in question.

Trust me on this.

~8~

And Hope was right into trusting Kayla.

The creature had indeed gone after Landon.

Kayla stayed behind Hope making sure Landon wouldn't look behind him from the bench as Hope fought against the monster.

However, the monster grabbing Hope's throat, lifting her up was worrying, about to step in when an arrow caught the monster in his hand, whirling around to face Alaric standing behind them with his crossbow.

Kayla wanted to help but as she frictioned her fingers to get some fire going on, she realized the magic she had taken from Hope was gone and there was nothing around her to siphon from. She felt completely human. And useless.

Kayla could only watch as Alaric hit the monster with his crossbow, doing absolutely nothing to it as it threw him down before he could load the weapon.

"Hey, ugly!" Hope called out as she stood making the monster turn to her instead Alaric. Hope raised her hand at it, "Incendia"

The monster roared in pain as his head caught up in fire.

Kayla took that moment to dive in to pick up Alaric's crossbow as the monster put off the fire, revealing his eye on the forehead.

"New theory" Alaric called from the ground making them nod, "Cyclops"

Kayla pointed the crossbow at the creature, aiming and firing at it straight to its forehead eye.

The monster froze as he fell backwards, completely unmoving.

Hope stepped next to Kayla as she slowy lowered the crossbow, her grip on it tight, her knuckles turning white.

Alaric ran closer to them, stopping at the other side of Kayla as the three of them stared at the Cyclops.

"Ugh" Alaric glanced at it from where they stood, the three of them panting "You think it's really...?"

Suddenly the creature dematerialized in tiny burnt ashes, flowing up to the sky.

Kayla nodded, still not relaxing, "Yep"

Alaric sighed, just now noticing Landon sitting in front of them, his eyes widening slightly "Great" he took the crossbow from Kayla's hands, "Let's get out of here"

Alaric walked away in a hurry leaving them confused.

It was then when Kayla noticed Landon was standing, facing them, touching Hope's arm so she could look at him.

The teens locked eyes on each other. One confused and the other heartbroken.

"Shall we?" Kayla murmured softly. Hope nodded slowly, allowing Kayla to lead her away from Landon, taking a deep breath. "It's okay. You're fine"

~8~

Hope and Kayla met up back with Alaric in an alley where London wouldn't see them.

Alaric sounded impressed and proud "That was some nice work back there" Hope chuckled. Kayla smiled a tiny smile "Surprising amount of overlap between troll and cyclops"

"Yeah, there really is" Hope agreed, chuckling.

Alaric smiled slightly, fidgeting with his crossbow "Yeah. Look, I, uh, I know you're not gonna stay" Kayla's and Hope's smiles fell a little as Alaric hesitated about something, turning to the girl who used his crossbow, handing it to her "Here"

Kayla stared at him in shock.

Hope began to smile and kept her thoughts from projecting to Kayla.

It was a nice gesture to have the uncle who used to hate you the first time meeting you to actually like you and giving you something precious to him the second first time meeting you.

It was a nice change.

"What?" Kayla whispered in disbelief.

Alaric insisted. "Take it" Kayla accepted it, grabbing the crossbow, examining it as Hope smiled at her side. Alaric smiled at the reaction, looking between them, "Be safe out there. Take care of each other. I had my doubts about you being a vampire hunter, Mikayla but not anymore"

Kayla chuckled a little, understanding why. She wasn't a hunter nor knew how to fight like Hope. That bullseye with Cyclops? Pure luck.

"You're good at this, you know?" Hope told him as Kayla kept examining the crossbow in silence.

"Monster hunting?" Alaric asked, raising his eyebrows

Hope gestured at Kayla and herself, "Helping kids"

"Ah" Alaric laughed softly, looking away.

Hope smiled softly.

Alaric began to walk away.

Kayla looked up at the silence, hugging the bow to her chest, smirking slightly to break the moment of sentiment, "You should keep the beard"

Alaric turned when she spoke, seeing both amused smiles that again, he couldn't help but have seen before.

Hope passed an arm around Kayla's shoulders as they turned around to leave, their bickering making Alaric smile.

"Why would I forget something like that?" Alaric asked to himself, shaking his head with a slight smile, walking away the opposite direction.

~8~

Kayla and Hope had decided to part ways for the rest of the night before they began bickering even more about what they had done all day.

The prysm she had given Hope was in her hand as she walked down the empty street. It was slightly glowing as a blonde girl walked by her side in silence.

"Why me?" Ness asked. Kayla didn't look at her as they walked side by side, "You could have chosen literally any one to talk to, Mik. Yet I'm here"

"How long since I heard you whiny voice?" Kayla asked as she shrugged.

"Three years when I tricked you into one last spell with the family that wanted you gone" Ness answered.

Kayla made a face, "See? That's what I think. That you were playing me but it wasn't like that, was it? You wanted to mend our relationship. Make it better"

"I know what you know, Mik" Ness said softly, "You say that now but you've always thought I was playing with your feelings. You still do. I come from your head"

Kayla chuckled bitterly, "Yeah, this is not going to work"

"Mik, wait-" Before Ness could say anything else, Kayla was squeezing the prysm making her disappear as an hologram.

"There's literally no one who can help me right now" Kayla said to the air through gritted teeth as she glared at the ground in front of her. Anger bubbling in her stomach that she was glad she had no magic stored in her.

Kayla took a deep breath as she tried to calm down as she shoved roughly the prysm to her pocket but nothing she was doing was helping her calm down, breathing heavily as she grabbed a rock, throwing it harshly against a tree. It made a slight dent on it as if she had super strength, blinking in surprise as she walked closer to the tree, seeing that the rock had actually dented the tree briefly and was stuck in the wood.

"What the hell?" Kayla murmured in shock as she glanced at her hands.

Was it her spell?

Did she just gained some super natural strength?

Kayla grabbed the rock and tried to pull it off from the tree but it was stuck. She couldn't take it off no matter how hard she tried.

She backed away, hand passing through her hair as she didn't notice the prysm glowing inside her jacket as a man appeared next to her, leaning to inspect the tree.

"Yes, looks like super strength here"

Kayla blinked at him, "Kai?"

"Hi, sweetheart" Kai greeted as he straightened, turning to her. However, unlike those other times he had come to her, whether in dreams or an hallucination, this Kai seemed different. Less maniac or bipolar. "You were thinking of me, you know?"

Kai gestured at Kayla's jacket where following his gaze she noticed the slight glowing object through her jacket.

"Fantastic" Kayls murmured tiredly as she closed her eyes.

"You don't have to be strong in front of me, Kaybear" Kai said, hands in his pockets. Kayla opened her eyes. "You can talk to me"

"No, I can't" Kayla snapped, turning her back on Kai as she walked away. "You'd just..."

"I'd just what?" Kai questioned as he stopped at her side when she sat on a bench. "Try to lure you to let out all that anger you're feeling inside? When was the last time you put in practice those anger management classes?"

Kayla frowned slightly as she tried to think. The last time was after they got rid of the Necromancer, wasn't it?

He had just tricked them for the knife, made a fool out of them and Alaric had been disappointed in her and Hope. Kayla had been mad at herself for letting her guard down, for letting the monster who tortured her with her aunt's image go. She had almost broken Penelope's dresser when they were getting ready. Both mirrors had cracks on them as they stared in shock. Penelope had been worried, one of the only times she showed feelings before trying to calm her as Kayla unaware she was doing it had used her siphoning to hurt Penelope. The entire room had it's lights flickering in and off before Penelope called her by her real name. That was what got her to snap out of it. Penelope sitting in front of her, ignoring how Kayla had just hurt her and sat in front of her to do their breathing exercises.

Kayla needed Penelope. She knew what to do. She always knew when Kayla needed her. Why wasn't she showing up?

"You're hyperventilating, Kay" Kai snapped her out of her thoughts, kneeling in front of her, hands on either side of the bench as he tried to meet her eyes, "Breathe with me, sweetcheeks. In and out. No one's out here to get you. Just me who wants you to breathe and reign back that anger. Anger plus you don't combine, remember?"

Kayla did as Kai asked, matching his calm breathing. "How did you know to do that?"

"You know what to do when you feel like out of control or about to hurt someone" Kai explained simply, shrugging, "So did I"

Kayla nodded slightly, "Right, 'cause you're a fragment of my imagination"

"Of the dad you wish you had" Kai replied quietly. Kayla snapped her head at him. Kai was smiling gently. "This me, the prysm version of me is the father you wanted since you were little. That's why I showed and not Penelope. You wanted to be comforted by a father who loves you. Sure, you hate sentimental moments but that doesn't stop you from wanting one with me"

"It's never gonna be real, is it?" Kayla asked softly.

Kai pursed his lips, his best version of looking apologetic "I'm afraid that's not going to happen. You know what I am. What I've done. You know being in that loneliness for that amount of time did something to my head. You understand and you were just a fragment of what I was there"

"I felt like I was going crazy" Kayla admitted, murmuring.

"Imagine what almost 20 years would do to you" Kai added quietly, "Without any human contact. Without any love, not that I had it in the first place. You shouldn't have jumped into Malivore. You had it all. You didn't have to follow through my footsteps"

That Kai was saying it meant Kayla had been thinking about it. How she had made a terrible mistake on following Hope.

Now, whatever was happening to her. The telepathy between her and Hope, her sudden strength... All of it was making her feel crazy.

"You, Hope and I are the only ones who know what could happen if you let all that anger out" Kai told her. "You don't have to become me, Kay. I don't want you to become me"

Kayla nodded as Kai disappeared.

No one could know who she was. Her past or what could be her future.

~8~

Kayla made her way to the high school only to stop when she noticed Hope was already there at Alaric's office, her stomach dropping at the tears running down Hope's face when she pulled away from Alaric as she stood at the entrance.

"Hope?" Kayla asked, swallowing the flare of anger that surged from within her.

Calm down, Kay. She whispered at herself.

Hope turned at her friend, guiltily "I'm sorry. I couldn't... I told him the truth about us"

What the freaking hell?! Kayla's fists clenched at her sides.

My truth. Hope's voice in her head stopped her from actually acting upon her anger The one we agreed on. You were taken in by my family. You're a Mikaelson too.

Alaric looked at Kayla," I understand why you two didn't want to say anything. I understand why you try to close yourself off. Family trait, isn't it?"

He wished. "Maybe" Kayla swallowed her lump, nodding slightly.

Hope frowned, a little tug in the back of her head letting her know that the sudden glimmer of her friend's blue eyes were from a different reason. "Are you okay?"

"I'm just tired" Kayla told her with a little nod. "I'm gonna head off. I'll uh, wait for you once you're done here"

Hope wanted to reach out but glanced down at Kayla's still tense fists and without wanting to, a small shiver passed through her as her arm had the ghost of Kayla's painful siphon grip that she didn't want to suffer again. Hope felt guilty for that, "Okay. I see you in a while"

Kayla gave a slow nod, turning in her heel, walking away. Her eyes, without wanting her to, filled with tears.

Yeah, no one here understood her.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

37.6K 1.2K 21
The next story following "A Secret To Be Kept". It's been a little over a year since Hope proposed to Josie and she said yes. Josie has finally grad...
17.3K 615 19
Amelia Salvatore. The name Salvatore ring any bells? The daughter of Stefan and Caroline and the older sister of Lizzie and Josie. Join her on her j...
1.8K 64 9
"ℋ𝑜𝓅𝑒 ℳ𝒾𝓀𝑒𝒶𝓁𝓈𝑜𝓃, 𝓎𝑜𝓊 𝒶𝓃𝓃𝑜𝓎 𝓂𝑒 𝓈𝑜 𝓂𝓊𝒸𝒽 𝒷𝓊𝓉 𝓎𝑜𝓊 𝒶𝓁𝓈𝑜 𝓂𝒶𝓀𝑒 𝓂𝑒 𝒻𝑒𝑒𝓁 𝓌𝒶𝓃𝓉𝑒𝒹" .~ .~ "ℰ𝒹...
25.3K 813 58
{COMPLETE} Hope mikaelsons the rebel 19 year old father 'Klaus Mikaelson' wants her to take over the supernatural business that had grown over the ye...