Rebirth: Back To Claim Husban...

By TONYANN

Chang Ying discovered that after living a life where her husband whom she hadn't even tasted yet was snatched... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 9.1
Chapter 9.2
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 15.2: Added Part
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
I'M SORRY

Chapter 12

2.5K 89 1
By TONYANN

The next day, Lu Chen and Chang Ying got up before dawn to prepare to go to town.

Chang Ying picked out a long sleeve blouse that would cover her wound. She knew if her mother saw her injury, she would raise hell. Her mother had stoutly stood against her marrying into this poor village household, she thought it was below their family's status. .

Everyone usually got up early. Lu Zhi had to leave early to leave for work, Mo Yue had to organise the household, clean, cook and prepare, before leaving for the farm. And Grandpa Lu had a habit of getting up early after doing so all his life. So everyone, except the youngest ones, was ready when Lu Chen and Chang Ying came out.

The school holiday was still on, so Feifei and Lu Ching could rest in for longer and help out in the family farm later in the day.

Mo Yue looked particularly uneasy, she had even rushed out to pack a large basket full of fresh fruits for her in-laws. She was so worried about what Chang Ying's family would think when they saw the wound on her hand. Mo Yue recalled the panic she felt years ago when she too went to visit her daughter, Lu Zhi, and saw signs of maltreatment on her only daughter. She didn't want Chang Ying's parents to think Chang Ying was being treated badly, so she doubled down and went around the village till the basket was heaped high with every fruit around. They were poor but the Lu family could still find some fruit from trees around the village.

Chang Ying left with Lu Chen and Lu Zhi. The three headed to town together. When they got to the outskirts, Lu Zhi came down from the *wagon and joined the criwd of dull faced factory workers at the stop.

Chang Ying looked on at the crowd, she too had once been one of those dull faced people who had given up on bigger things and simply lived each day eating, sleeping and working.

They got to the construction area where she heard Lu Chen had started work. Still, Lu Chen showed no signs of coming down.

Chang Ying poked him. "We are at your stop."

Lu Chen glanced at her then looked forward. "Not today. I'll follow you to greet mother-in-law."

Chang Ying's face stiffened. Follow her? He absolutely must not! "No, please go to work!"

Lu Chen turned to her and looked at her strangely.

Chang Ying coughed. "The family needs your day wages at home. And I just want to visit my mother without any tension. You know how she feels about our marriage. She might say hurtful words, I don't want you to hear them."

"I doesn't matter," Lu Chen said calmly.

"It does!" Chang Ying grasped his arm, frantic. She had to find a way for him not to go. "I...I just want to have a simple, relaxing visit today. When she comes to terms with our marriage, we can go together to visit her happily."

Lu Chen stared at her then at the weak, feminine hand grasping at his arm. Her eyes were wide and gazing up at him, almost appealing to him. The corner of Lu Chen's lips lifted up a bit, she looked adorable.

He raised his hand and patted her head. She was acting a bit suspicious just now, bit since she already assured him that she would come back, then he could only wait for her. Whatever she needed with her family, she might be too embarrassed in front of him.

Lu Chen nodded. "Okay."

He came down from the wagon and stood by the side. Chang Ying felt his eyes on her, watching her as the wagon moved out of sight into the town.

When she got to town, she lifted her basket and headed to a few shops that sold and pawned wedding gown. She walked around till late morning and she still couldn't find a place that wanted to buy the gown for a good price.

All the shipowners wanted to buy the gown cheaply. One woman even offered her a miserly 10 yuan and tried to convince her the gown was of low quality and made from imitation fabrics.

10 yuan! She could buy the beading on the dress with 10 yuan.

Finally, a pawn store owner directed her to a shop. The shop sold a variety of working tools but the store owner was looking to buy his eldest daughter a wedding gown for her upcoming marriage.

Chang Ying dragged her weary body there. She had not yet eaten breakfast and her arm was beginning to throb with pain. When she got there the man only agreed to look at the gown because she said the pawn store told her to come to him.

Nevertheless, the second she opened the wrappings and unfolded the gown the man grasped in delight. The gown was obviously customised and handsewn. The man grasped and turned the dress over many times to study all the finer details.

The two discussed the price and after a lot of back and forth haggling, the man gave her 88 yuan and a pair of good quality boots.

Afterwards, Chang Ying happily tucked the money away inside her blouse, took her basket and the boots and headed to her family home in town.

It was already past noon when she arrived. Her mother, Wu Meng, was home and once she saw how tired and sweaty her daughter was, she quickly went to prepare water for her to bathe and freshen up again.

Once Chang Ying came out from the bathroom, her mother already had a meal waiting for her. .

Chang Ying did not bother being courteous and quickly sat down, her chopsticks moved so quick, she was like an Olympic champion.

Wu Meng added another spoon of rice to her daughter's bowl and twisted her red lips. "Look at you, haven't you eaten in days?"

Wu Ming nagged and nagged while she went between the kitchen and the dining room. She added more and more dishes till Chang Ying felt helpless.

When her father, Cheng Mo, came home, he was shocked and happy to see his daughter. Chang Mo had the presence of a regal bamboo. He was a thin, tall man with a straight-edged nose where his round spectacles sat. His onyx eyes were deep and dark, and his face held an understated handsomeness that belied his usual teacher-like scowl.

Before the man could even ask her how her married life was, Wu Meng descended on him with scalding words.

Chang Mo quietly took a seat beside his daughter and ate without a word. Father and daughter looked at each other. One look, and Chang Ying could see all the questions he wanted to ask.

How was she doing?

Could she cope with the village life?

Did she have enough to eat?

Was Lu Chen and his family treating her well?

Was she suffering too much?

Did she need his help?

Chang Ying smiled and nodded at her father. She couldn't say any more with her mother looming over the both of them. Still, she knew her father well. He was a teacher and a principled man. He was also the only reason she could successfully marry Lu Chen.

Before she got married, her father had called her and spoken to her about what she might have to endure. Back then, it was all words and she brushed it off. It was only after she experienced it that she understood what her father feared for her. On the other hand, Lu Chen had attended Chang Mo's school. Since Lu Chen was a very good student and all the teachers often praised him from front to back, Chang Mo could vouch for his future son-in-law's character.

Despite Wu Meng's resistance, Chang Mo accepted the marriage proposal because he was sure Lu Chen would always treat his daughter well. Many of this era's children did not even know the meaning of filial piety or how to treasure their spouses. So even though the Lu family lacked money, Chang Mo was assured that Lu Chan would be good to Chang Ying and with his steadfast character, he could make a stable future for the both of them.

Her atger looked at her carefully from top to bottom and saw she was thinner than before. He picked some eat from his bowl and put it in hers. "Eat some more before you go back."

"Go back? Go back to that pit..."

"Mengmeng, those are our in-laws."

Wu Meng snorted. "Those are your in-laws not mine. I refuse to accept them! Our daughter is back, just let her stay tonight."

"No." Chang Mo firmly said. He looked at his daughter. "Our little Ying decided that this is the man she wants to marry and she must stand up to that decision."

"Huh? How can you be so wicked? Is Chang Ying not your daughter? The poor thing us suffering, just bring her home and forget about those stinky..."

"Mom, I can't stay tonight. Lu Chen will close by 5pm, I will follow him back then." Chang Ying said to her mother with a light smile

"Huh?" Wu Meng sneered, "What a husband! He can't even come here to greet your parents."

"Mom, he wanted to come but I refused. Lu Chen just came back from a month-long community service, we can't afford it if he doesn't work now."

Wu Meng huffed and continued to pour out her frustrations.

By 4pm, Chang Ying stood up to leave. Her mother returned the basket to her it it was heavy.

Chang Ying lifted the cover and saw some flour, oil, salt and rice inside. She looked up. "Mom, you don't have to..."

"If you dare say anything stupid, then you can go and die of hunger for all I care! As if you have food at that place." Wu Meng huffed and stomped into the kitchen.

Chang Mo chuckled and said, "Let's go, I will escort you to Lu Chen's workplace."

Wu Meng's sharp voice car out from the kitchen. "Go where? The Chang family is not so shameless. That brat is supposed to come and see is, not you going to see him!"

Chang Ying stratched her head helplessly. "Dad, I'll be alright. Stay home."

Chang Ying left but instead of going to Lu Chen's workplace, she went to the farmers market. She looked around and bought a large basket. Then she walked around the market and checked the current prices of foidstuff. She was still assimilating to this time period and she had to relearn some of these common knowledge.

After getting a proper grasp on the latest trading rates, she went to where poultry was sold and purchased four laying hens.

The hens were mature and could lay one or two eggs a day. Each one cost *20 yuan so Chang Ying paid quickly.

The trader tied up the chickens feet and wings so the birds won't move too much, and placed them in the new basket for her.

Chang Ying carried two baskets, the larger basket with the hens on her head and the smaller one with the boots and foodstuff her mother gave her in her hand.

The farmers market was not too far from where Lu Chen worked so she walked there.

When she got to there, she was more exhausted than ever. Her hand that had stopped throbbing, started aching again, even more than before. Chang Ying looked around and saw that most of the labourers had already closed and gone home. Only a few were still loitering around.

She bit her lips, regretfully. She just have spent more time at the market than she suspected, and she walked down here too. The sun was also going down. She had not noticed earlier but it was probably long past the closing time already.

"Chang Ying, is that you?"

Chang Ying turned around and saw Lu Chen briskly walking towards her.

"It is you!" he exclaimed with relief, then looked at the two baskets, surprised. In the next second, he had hurried to her side and taken the baskets from her. "what are you doing carrying load? Is your hand okay?"

Chang Ying could not help but only nod at him with a tired smile. Honestly, we thought she was tougher than this but she felt really exhausted.

"I was worried when..." Lu Chen paused and looked at the baskets. "Your family gate you this?"

"Yes, can we go home now?"

Lu Chen looked at the ground and sighed. "Your family is really kind and caring. I should have gone with you to greet them."

"Next time." Chang Ying replied, too exhausted to bother to say more.

When they got home, the shy was already dark. Still, once they came in, everyone in the Lu household was in shock.

One, two, three, four. Four chickens! No, four laying chickens, that means they could get eggs every day.

The entire family looked at the birds as if they were bombs. The Chang family was initially so reluctant to be related to them. Now they had sent such good things to take carry of Chang Ying.

"Ying-er, this is too much. Live birds are so expensive. Isn't this too costly for your family too?" Mo Yue asked.

Chang Ying waved her hand dismissively. "Please don't mind that. It is from money put aside for my dowry."

Mo Yue shook her head. "Ying-er..."

"Yue-er, stop bothering the girl. Her parents sent these things so she can live well." Grandpa Lu turned to Chang Ying. "Next time, you see your parents you must remember to thank them properly. They have done a lot for you. Ching-er, take the hens to the back of the kitchen. Tomorrow, I will build a bird fence for them."

Lu Ching approached the basket and tried to lift it but the birds *crackled. He let go and jumped back fearfully. The entire family looked at him, confused.

"XiaoChing, are you...afraid of chickens?" Lu Zhi asked.

Under the lantern light, Lu Ching reddened from his neck upwards and bit his lips glaring at his elder sister with resentment.

The adults looked at each other and started laughing.

Lu Ching hissed and stomped his foot. "I am not afraid of chickens."

The family laughed even harder. Xiao Rui pointed at the hens and said, "Little uncle, these birds are even smaller than me."

Lu Zhi wiped a tear from the corner of her eye from laughing too hard. "We never noticed it before because XiaoChing can't work too much. But ittoe brother is really afraid of chickens."

"I am not!" Lu Ching grit his teeth.

"Alright, stop." Lu Chen calmed everyone down and turned to his little brother. "Lu Ching is not afraid of chickens."

"Of course not. They...they just alarmed me, that's all."

Lu Chen patted his younger brother with an approving smirk on his face. "Then go pick them up."

"What?" Lu Ching asked, looking alarmed.

Look, you dropped the basket wrongly and now the chickens are flapping around on the ground. Just pick them up one by one and put them back in the basket." Lu Chen smirked at his bother. "Easy, right?"

"You...you...you..."

"Look, little uncle! I picked one up!" Job Ruishi lifted up a hen with her small hands. Though it was still bound, the bird frayed and *sqwaked in her hands till she had to let it go. "See, see! I raised the chicken, little uncle can't."

Lu Ching folded his arms with an arrogant snort. "So what? I'm still your senior."

Jin Ruishi cheekily stuck out her tongue.

"Okay, okay, we've had good laugh. Let me take them." Lu Zhi picked up the hens, put them in the basket and carried it away.

Jin Ruishi happily tagged along, asking her mother questions about how to raise chickens. The family had never kept any animals before so the small girl was very excited. Lu Ching still had a sulky pout on his face.

Chang Ying could only think it was quite cute. Lu Ching had always been sheltered due to his poor health, and the family's finances meant they couldn't afford to raise animals before. Hence he was not as familiar with farm animals as the other village children. It was also why he was scared when the birds frayed around when he picked them up.

Chang Ying guessed it was probably the first time he did so. She watched as Lu Ching also followed his sister just as eagerly as the young Jin Ruishi. If anything, seeing the two youngest ones in the family excited about the hens was a good enough reason to buy them.

Mo Yue checked the other basket and saw the things Cheng Ying's family actually sent: the flour, salt, oil and rice. Mo Yue was almost in tears at this point. If she could, she would have flown to the Chang house at once to thank them. She even felt embarrassed they had such caring in-laws.

****

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 36.3K 61
WATTYS WINNER When her fiancé ends up in a coma and his secret mistress, Halley, shows up, Mary feels like her world is falling apart. What she does...