TouchDown- book one The Bradf...

By lyonmom

Every girl needs their world to be rocked at least once. While Aiden Bradford believes he has everything he's... More

Prologue
Character Information
Chapter one
Chapter two
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Epilogue
Book two of The Bradford Series
The family tree

Chapter 10

8.8K 247 28
By lyonmom

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 10
Family Matters

Riley

"Hey! Where'd you go? Aiden said he walked you home." Colby plops down on the couch next to me and tugs her shoes off, wiggling her toes and rubbing her arches.

Looking up from my pint of white chocolate raspberry ice cream I shovel the spoon in my mouth to try to avoid having to answer her. Colby just lifts her eyebrows at me and waits.

"I really don't think I belong there. I'm just not a party person, I guess." Telling the girls that I can't stand to watch Aiden and Hunter together, that it hurts me, it just isn't an option. I just need to keep my distance.

"Well, Hunter feels like shit for pushing you. She said she should have known better after the last party. Aiden wouldn't even talk to us, he was so pissed off. I'm betting that sorry slut from the Pom squad hit on him again. I swear that chick doesn't catch a clue!" Emery sits down in the chair, her hands wrapped around her coffee mug filled with hot chocolate.

For the next hour they filled me in on the party. The guys they liked that were there and who I should stay away from. We drank hot chocolate, finished my ice cream and they took my mind off the mess I made of the night.

Just for a little while, I felt like I fit in

Now, sitting on my bed and reading my environmental science assignment, I hear the girls come back from the latest party and hope they understand that I can't keep doing this. They asked me to join them again, again I refused. I really do like living here but constantly hearing about Aiden is just too much for my little heart.

This week has been so difficult. I've kept to myself leaving early before any of them get up, getting back long after they've turned in. Spending the time in between looking for a job here and studying at the library. Anything to just not be here.

The morning after the Halloween party, I learned that Hunter spent the night with Aiden. It shouldn't have surprised me, I shouldn't have let it hurt me. They're together, a couple and maybe what I said made an impact on him. Maybe he chose to do the right thing by her and try to make it work. Whatever the reason I'm out of the picture now.

Soon I'll be completely out of their lives

I got the call today. I got a job just off campus at a local diner. I start next week and I won't be able to get home for the holiday break so I'm going this weekend to see my dad. It's important I have this time with him. He's all I have for family and I really hate not being there for him for Christmas but I don't have a choice.

The job is just a serving position. It's not much, and nothing to brag about but it's an income for me to move out of the apartment and on my own. It hurts too much to continue to stay here. I stay in my room if I hear anyone here, I avoid all of them on campus just because I don't know what to say now. I don't want to hurt anyone.

Colby and Emery have each cornered me about that night asking what was said or done. It was enough for me to retract into myself this way, asking me to talk to them about something I'm terribly upset about. I can only say I'm not a social person, I don't want to go to the football game and I've got studying to do to keep them off the subject. Or I just tell them that I made a mistake thinking I could handle a party, nothing more when they push about what happened. Hunter on the other hand has spent most of the last week with Aiden than at the apartment. According to the girls, she's trying to help him through something. They don't really know.

I guess they made up.

Finishing my last class, I've got just enough time to get to the apartment pack and let dad know I'm on my way home. It's a long six hour drive but I'm excited to see him, to spend the next week relaxing at home, cooking at the restaurant and just being there. Racing through campus I'm not listening when my name is called. I don't hear the footsteps join mine or see the tall shadows merge behind me into a solid shade as I leave campus and walk down the walkway for the apartment.

"If I didn't know better, I would think she didn't like us anymore." Sawyer's voice interrupted the packing list I was making in my head.

Turning around I'm surprised to find the four large football players standing behind me. Harper is in the middle of them, tossing the ball from one hand to the other without even glancing down at it.

"I think she just doesn't like Aiden! Who could blame her there. He has been a huge dick lately." Wyatt adds resting his elbow on Harper's shoulder.

"But he's not us. We're the nice ones." Harper puts in. His penetrating eyes pin me in place. I've hurt them when they had nothing to do with what happened between Aiden and I. I shouldn't have been so quick to judge everyone because of Aiden. Not every guy cheats. Not every guy lies.

My dad is an example of this

"Here sweetheart. Your hand looks heavy. Let me hold it for you." Landon reaches down and takes my hand, kisses my palm and smiles so sweetly at me.

"That was corny as fuck! You idiot, you're gonna scare her off again!" Sawyer pushes Landon away from me then slings his arm over my shoulder. "Tell uncle Sawyer all about, honey. My shoulder is right here waiting for you." He nudges my head to his ample shoulder. "Tell me what Aiden did and we'll take care of it."

"Stop... please." I step back away from all of them and make sure I'm out of all of their reach. "I appreciate this really but it's not necessary. I'm fine."

Harper nods and steps forward I guess as the leader of this bunch. "That's good.... for you but it doesn't help Aiden. He's been wrecked since the Halloween party and I think you know why. How about you enlighten us?"

He's been wrecked? How is that possible? Hunter has been staying at the house all week. I've only seen bits and pieces of Colby and Emery. Even then, I've kept away as much as I possibly can until I can move out. I knew this would happen. I knew it was a mistake.

"I haven't seen him since I left the party that night. I'm sorry if I caused any problems for Aiden and Hunter. I'm working as fast as I can to get out of the apartment. As soon as I start getting my paycheck, I'll move then Hunter can feel comfortable back there. I'm very sorry I caused so much trouble." Turning around to hurry away Harper grabs my arm stopping me.

"I don't think that's it. Did Aiden hurt you or something? I know my cousin, he'd never hurt a woman on purpose, Riley. Please just talk to us. Let us help you." His voice was kind and generous. I believe he genuinely means it but I've already made such a mess of everything. Shaking my head I start to turn again but stop when his words hit me. My eyes narrow in on his and concentrate on what he said.

They're cousins?

"Aiden is your cousin?" I slowly ask, completely taken off guard by this. I thought he was Emery's brother. My eyebrows lift as I continue. "And Emery is your sister?"

"Yeah. Nobody has explained this?" He says this as if I should know who they all are. Shaking my head to answer his question I see the guy's expressions change as one. Rolling his eyes at my ignorance, Harper gives in and explains it. "Well fuck! That could have made this easier for you."

"Aiden or the girls should have told you." Sawyer agrees. "We have a large convoluted family. Some of our roots don't exactly go to the same tree. Family is who you make it, that's what our grandmother says."

It's a nice sentiment. Family for me has just been my father and I for so long that I don't know anything else. I wouldn't know what to do with a big family. Once I wished for brothers and sisters, for a mother who stuck around.

A child's hopeless dream that won't be.

"Alright sweetheart. Fast family history. I'm a Drake just like Sawyer. My dad's Cade, I've got an older sister Maddie and our little Emery. My dad's brother, Lance, is Bri and Sawyer's dad. Emma Drake is Hunter, Chase and Colin's mom, and Lance's sister, who is married to Blake Bradford. Landon is a Stafford, his grandfather is married to our grandmother Georgia Bradford. Colby and Jared are McConnell/Bradford's. Their mom, Chelsea's a Bradford but Uncle Matt is family in our own way anyway, plus he's the family sports manager. Aiden is a Bradford. His dad's Adam. There's a ton more but that's a good start. Now can we get back on subject?"

I guess I was just struck dumb by all that. I feel like I just went on information overload and I should have taken notes. "I might need you to repeat that. Before you do, are you telling me that Hunter isn't Aiden's girlfriend?"

"Hell no!" Sawyer laughs with Wyatt. Harper curses seeing where I've gotten confused. Both Wyatt and Sawyer then get smacked in the back of the head by Landon. "If anything they're more like siblings. They argue constantly but definitely have each other's back. They're each other's sounding board and have always been really close but no way are they a couple."

Harper is by my side and touches my arm. "Is this why you dumped him?" There's a serious concern in his voice.

"I didn't dump... is that what he's told you?" Looking around at each of their faces I see they think the same thing. "I thought Aiden had a girlfriend. I called him a cheater! Oh no, I called him a cheater." Realizing the horrible mistake I've made I cover my mouth and turn away from the guys.

"You aren't completely wrong, Riley." Harper comes up on one side and Sawyer on the other. "Aiden has a girlfriend, her name is Leighton. She lives in New York. They were high school sweethearts back when she was best friends with Hunter. After she went to New York she changed. Her and Hunter had a fallout and from what we know Hunter keeps her distance when Leighton is around, which is only when we're in front of a camera. No one really likes her much, even Aiden."

"Why does he stay with her then?" I wonder not really expecting an answer.

"That's the million dollar question. Is this why you stayed away from him? Because you thought Hunter was with Aiden?" I nod and feel like a fool. Harper runs his hand up and down my arm sympathetically. "Well, you were totally wrong there. He does have a girlfriend, not a very good one but technically, yeah." Harper adds. "You really should talk to Aiden and let him explain this. At least tell Hunter. She doesn't understand what's going on any more than we did."

Nodding in agreement and frowning at my feet, I think about how I've made such a mess of everything. At least I can stay in the apartment if the girls accept my apology. Aiden is another story. Even though his girlfriend isn't Hunter, he still has a girlfriend. He's still cheated maybe not with me but with plenty of other girls here and I don't want that on me.

"Thank you for explaining all this. I have to go." I tell Harper and start towards the apartment. Stopping I turn around and smile at them. "Happy thanksgiving and I appreciate you telling this."

"You too, sweetheart but please talk to Aiden. Make our lives a little easier! He's been a dick thinking he lost his shot with you." Sawyer informs me but I can't speak.

Aiden is still the same person I said he was. He doesn't want me, just any female who's willing will work for him. He said it himself, any other girl on campus falls at his feet. I was just a challenge. Someone who didn't play the game. He's only hurt because I wouldn't let him hurt me when he runs back to his girlfriend. No, nothing has changed.

"I don't think that's going to help." I mutter looking down at the ants on the concrete. As I look up, the guys are waiting for me to tell them that I'll go right back to how things were for that short breath of time. I just can't. "He still has a girlfriend and until something changes, until he changes his ways, I won't be able to be in his life. I don't want my heart broken because I can't trust him. Sleeping with every girl on campus while his girlfriend is in another state, doesn't make it okay. I'm sorry."

I left in a hurry down the walk and through the big glass doors. Maybe moving out is best. I don't want to make everyone uncomfortable with me around here. It's not fair to them. It's not fair for Aiden to not be with his family because of me. I can't do that to any of them.

So I return to my original plan

Walking into the apartment, there's music playing in the kitchen where Colby is stirring something on the stove, Emery is sitting on the couch painting her toes, and Hunter is hunched over her laptop working on her studies. No, I can't hurt them anymore. Keeping my head down I go straight to my room and dropping my things on the bed, I dig out my big duffel bag and start packing.

"I think she's going somewhere." Colby says from the doorway. The first indication that they followed me in. "Yep she's going somewhere."

"Why would she go somewhere and not tell us? I don't think we've been mean to her, I thought we'd been pretty easygoing." Emery continues the conversation like I'm not right here.

"It's not us." Hunter adds as she sits on the bed and taps her nails patiently on the top of my laptop. She must know it's Aiden's and not mine. He must have told her. "Did you know this is actually Aiden's computer."

I stop what I'm doing and look at her. "I didn't steal it! He let me have it."

She continues as if I hadn't said a word. "He had just gotten it a week before he met you. When you told him what happened with that dumb cheerleader, he felt like it was his fault, so he gave it to you and bought himself another one." Oh God he only felt sorry for me? The poor dumb new kid can't even get a new laptop? How many times did I feel this way, I thought I had moved on. Is this the way people still see me? "See, that's the kind of person Aiden is... kind, giving, compassionate."

"I didn't ask him to do that. I told him I'd give it back, that I'd get my own or pay him for it. He said he didn't need it." Defending myself, I won't have them thinking I was after his money. "I didn't want anything from him. I just needed a tutor."

Hunter nods and lays back against my pillow. The other two come in and join her on the bed watching me. I feel like I've really screwed things up. I thought I could sneak out unnoticed and they would just move on like I didn't matter, but they aren't letting me leave.

"I know. Aiden knows that too. He doesn't do anything for others outside of the family unless it's by his choice. We've all been used, Riley, we know the type. You aren't it." Hunter shrugs it off like this is a normal conversation.

"But you just... I thought you were mad at me." I'm confused now.

Waving her hand Hunter rises to look in the mirror. "Growing up in one of the wealthiest families in the country I've been hit on, befriended and robbed by people who would blink at you just as well as steal from you. I've gotten pretty good at determining who I can trust. Plus the whole Halloween party fiasco proved it. Aiden spilled the beans in one of his drunken stupors about kissing you and then you told him no. That's a first for him. I'm actually impressed he didn't break your resolve. Aiden can be pretty persuasive when he wants something. You stood up to him. He needs someone like you."

"Sorry. I just didn't want to... I thought you were his girlfriend, I didn't want to hurt you or him but I don't date cheaters.." Blurting it out this way all three of them look shocked then burst out laughing.

"Oh my God!" Hunter is literally rolling on my bed crying she's laughing so hard. I didn't think it was that funny.

"Well, you do fight like an old married couple." Emery teases but is wiping her eyes from laughing hard as well.

"Is that why you were all butt hurt that Hunter was spending the night with him this week? You were jealous?" Colby points out my bad behavior and I shrink under their gaze.

Crap, I think I just got called out!

Trying to hide not just from the question, although that was bad enough but from explaining my idiotic behavior. I have no right to be jealous. I have no right to be mad. Aiden has a girlfriend, this at least got confirmed and her name is Leighton.

"He feels horrible about what happened. I think he really is sorry, Riley. I've never seen Aiden like this." Hunter searches my face for a response I can't give her.

Turning away, I continue packing my things. Almost everything I moved here with, fits in this bag and I'll be taking it all home just in case I don't come back. Maybe I should have stayed home. Coming here was such a risk. Being on my own and alone. Thinking I could handle this without anything to back me up.

I was a fool

Zipping up the bag I start to pick it up when Hunter places her hand on top of the strap stopping me. "Explain please. Where are you going? Why?"

I owe them this much and the explanation is easy enough. "I won't be able to get home for Christmas, I start my new job next week and my dad will be busy... busier than usual. I'm going for Thanksgiving to see him and help him out at the diner. I miss him and I guess I'm a little homesick. I'm sorry I didn't tell you earlier but I just got the call today. I'll be back Sunday night."

"Well, we can understand that. I mean half our family is right here and the rest just up the coast. Of course, you should want to see him." Emery gives me a side hug. "We just want you to know, we're here if you want to talk about anything."

"Aiden is too... if you decide to call him." Hunter probs again.

Fixing my eyes on her I shake my head. "Aiden has a girlfriend, Leighton. He should try talking to her." If I wasn't sure before, I am now. Hunter cringed at the sound of her name, telling me that I wasn't supposed to know. Well, too late now.

I finish packing up and say goodbye to the girls before hauling my bag down to my car. With my fingers crossed that it will start, I turn the key. Revving the engine to get it going, I get myself on the road before I call my dad.

"Hi Daddy, it's me. I hoped you would have answered but you're probably really busy right now. I just wanted to let you know I'm on my way home for thanksgiving weekend. I have to get back Sunday night but I want to see you. I'll be at the house by midnight. I love you, Daddy. Bye."

Aiden

"She won't answer." Tossing the damn phone on the couch I just paced away and stared out at the pool.

I can't get her to talk to much less listen. The fact that these goons pinned her down and questioned her for me didn't help. It would have been better if they had dragged her back here and tied her up so I could explain. Not that we would do that but I can't seem to find another way to get her to talk to me.

My head drops forward and rests against the cool glass window. Closing my eyes I wish I could just tell her I'm sorry instead of Hunter relaying it for me. It does me no good. I couldn't see her face when the words were said and who knows how Hunter said it. That's a whole other thing.

"She won't answer. She's driving, you idiot." Hunter growls digging into the popcorn she made as soon as she got here. "I told you, she's gone for the week to see her dad. Family matters. Aiden, you of all people know that."

"I should have told her that I was sorry. It should have come from me, not you." Glancing sideways at my cousin as she flips through the online menu to find a movie.

"Seriously? The guy who let her believe we were dating? I don't think so. If you want her back you've got a better chance with Landon's stupid pick up lines." Hunter pats Landon on the leg and offers to share her popcorn. "But they are cute coming from you, honey."

"I wouldn't have let her believe that if you had told her we're related in the first place!" Roaring at Hunter I see her eyebrows rise at my outrage.

"In her defense, you could have told Riley yourself. Hunter didn't even know you knew each other. Shit, none of us knew about your little love triangle." Harper jumps in standing up for Hunter again.

"There's no fucking love triangle! Riley thought Hunter and I were... shit! I should have seen it. Every time she would mention me having a girlfriend, she'd say she didn't want to hurt Hunter." Scrubbing my hands over face, I feel so damn stupid.

"Well, that could have been a red flag!" Colby mutters as she joins Hunter on the couch.

"Although Riley is right." Sawyer points out an obvious annoying fact. "You do have a girlfriend, Aiden and you have cheated.... multiple times. You can't blame her for your screw up."

Rolling my eyes, I turn back to the darkness outside. My family has filled me in on everything tonight. We flew up to Uncle Blake's place in San Francisco and are waiting for them to get here. On the flight up I was told how the guys gave Riley the family tree and Hunter told me that Riley left.

"Look, Aiden, she looked like shit too. I don't think Riley is any happier about her choice than you are." Sawyer tries to make this better but it doesn't help me.

"Where are my babies!? Oh shit! Out! Watch the movie in the theater! Damn it, Hunter! You're getting fricking popcorn in the couch again!" Emma yelled as she walked in. Then as each of them pass her, Emma hugs and kisses each one welcoming us home. "Missed you, honey! But if I find another kernel, you're cleaning my couch with your toothbrush! Welcome home, baby girl! Aiden, honey, how's my favorite guy?"

Her arms wrap around me and I breathe in the woman I've loved as a second mom my entire life. I used to battle with Maddie for her attention and crawl into Em's lap when I was cranky and couldn't sleep. She and Blake have been a rock for me over the years more than even my own parents have been so that's saying a lot. My family is everything to me, I love them all.

"I'm a fucking dumbass, Em. I don't know how to fix this." Her fingers stroke through my messed up hair and with a smile in her eyes she nods.

"I know, you Bradford boys are stupid when it comes to love. Blake will be down in a minute. Why don't you get the two of you a beer and meet him out by the fire pit. It's a good night for a fire and I bet Hunter will want some s'mores soon. Whatever happened you can make it right. Blake will help you, honey. It can't be that bad." Cupping my cheeks she brings my face to hers and kisses my cheek. "Go on. I'll keep the kids from bugging you two until you're done."

Emma's the best

I didn't wait long for my uncle to come out. He hasn't changed all that much from the man I remember from my childhood. He's still built like a brick house, solid as steel, tough muscles but a tender heart. His dark hair has some graying at the temples and there's a few lines around his eyes but those bright green orbs can see just as well now as they did when I was three.

"So it finally happened, huh?" He lit the fire before as sat down across from me. I haven't even said hello yet.

"Hi Uncle Blake." I grumble staring at my beer bottle and not even wanting to drink it.

"Was it the butterflies in the belly or the electrical surge when you touched her?" He smirked over the bottle as he drank.

"She told me to fuck off when she found out I have a girlfriend." I wasn't ready to admit I might have just lost the single girl I want. But hearing my dilemma Blake nearly spit his beer into the fire.

He hooted out a long laugh, not to make fun of me but because it's a long honored tradition to rub the fallens nose in the fact that we have joined the rest of the men in this family. Finding strong women who make us feel things we'd never admit to until we're so far gone down that slippery road we don't care who knows.

"I'm sorry, I didn't quite hear you." Blake chuckles some more. "She walked away when she learned about Leighton? Well, she's smart."

"Not exactly. She thought Hunter was Leighton and that she was roommates with my girlfriend. It got complicated." Rubbing the back of my neck I saw the brief flash in Blake's eyes. He didn't miss what I said, not this guy. Blake misses nothing.

"You fell for Hunter's roommate? Seriously!? It's like just telling you something is forbidden and you have to have it. Kinda like that time you decided to take my Maserati for a joy ride." Blake pushes the right button to get more information out of me.

"I was sixteen and trying to get into Annabel Lathum's pants! And this is nothing like that!" Shoving up out of the lounge I pace in front of the fire and start rambling about all of it. "Riley makes me nervous and excited to see her. She's smart and kind and compassionate and fucking complicated. Riley challenges me, she makes me think and laugh and try to do better!" Plopping back down in my chair the frustration hits again. "But none of that matters. She doesn't want anything from me. She's so fucking independent! She broke her laptop and I had to literally beg her to use mine." Looking at Blake not saying a word but just grinning at me. You'd think I bashed him in the head. "What?"

"Nothing... Keep going.." Blake winds his hand telling me to go on. "Tell me all of it."

"She's on scholarship, our scholarship... full ride. If she fails a class she has to drop out. That tells me she doesn't have a lot of money." I know our business and exactly what it takes to get a scholarship from us.

"No sand on you, kid." Blake leans forward, his beer dangles by his fingers between his knees. Elbows resting easy on his knees as his face goes serious. "Okay. Riley is a smart cookie and is broke, there's nothing wrong with that. What's she look like?"

"Gorgeous." The word is out before I can stop it. Running my fingers through my hair in frustration I might as well give him what he wants. "Long gypsy chestnut curls, big deep dark eyes with these little flecks of golden light in them, then there's her pouty lips that makes you just want to nibble on them all day. She doesn't wear a lick of makeup most of the time and curves. Fucking stunning curves your fingers itch to touch. And she hides all that beauty away. Unless you touch her you don't know they're there."

Blake has this look on his face like he can see her just as well as I can. "Good God! The woman sounds pathetic! Get her to the salon immediately!" Emma teases as she strolls out to join us.

Emma looks like an aging pixie now compared to what she once was. Tiny and still as feisty as ever. Her spirit has always made her seem bigger, bolder than she is. Her once long blonde hair is now cut in a chin length bob, those bright blue eyes still sparkle with mischief and her round cherub face is clear of makeup and is still smooth and soft as ever. There might be some fine lines here and there but I'll never be the one to mention them.

"I think she sounds gorgeous." Blake grins and pats Emma's ass as she perches on the arm of his chair. "You finally found a woman who wasn't interested in all the trappings. Good for you, kid!"

"No! I mean, yes but... I'm still with Leighton." Blake's smile turns to a frown. "She thought Leighton was Hunter but the guys explained it to her today but they told her about Leighton or at least that the girlfriend issue was right. Riley still won't talk to me."

"I thought I told you to let her go?" Blake reminds me of his warnings that I ignored. "Tell me everything, Aiden. Every fucking detail." Turning his head up towards Emma his eyes softened on her gaze. "Sweetheart, you might not want to hear this. It'd probably be better for Aiden's life, if it's just me."

"Oh no! I think you need a woman's perspective now. You don't want to make this worse, baby. Besides, it can't be worse than all the stories I heard about your college years. Lance never had a filter about your escapades." Emma explains and with a chuckle Blake cringes. One by one I see the family come out.

"Just like when I screwed up, Aiden. We have an emergency tree. We're here for you, just like they were there for me. Thanks to Hunter and Emma for having the good sense to call them in." Blake informs me.

My uncles and friends emerge on all sides, and are here to help bail me out. Looking around at the familiar faces I haven't seen in while I'm comforted by my family. Feeling a hand touch my shoulder I see Grandpa Jim and smile.

Looking past the fire I see Lance, Cade, Harper and Sawyer, walk out. Landon and Breyden, Derrick and Tyler, Matt, Cam and Jake behind them. Even Nate and Dillon are here with Wyatt then I see my dad, Adam Bradford. He's been the aloof one. I turn to Blake because dad just isn't the kind that really helps me.

"Hi dad." I say as he sits next to me.

"Aiden. Why didn't you tell me about Leighton? If you weren't happy... we could have taken care of this a long time ago." I can hear the regret in his voice. "I just want you to be happy."

"I know, dad. I didn't know what I wanted. It's not your fault this is my problem." I take responsibility for my actions. I won't blame anyone but myself for this.

"Okay baby, it's time for us men to set this boy right." Blake teases getting a kiss from Em and as she passes from each of the rest of the guys get more. They hugged, kissed or said their hellos with lots of smiles and "sweetheart", "honey", and "love". Emma always was the family sweetheart.

"What is this, an intervention?" I ask, watching Emma grab a tray and come back over to us.

"I'm staying." Emma grumbles while she puts the makings of s'mores together. She just doesn't realize what she's asking for here. I know exactly what a jerk I've been. I really don't want her to think less of me. When I say nothing Emma looks over. "Spit it out. It can't be that bad."

So I did.

We went through the beer, the whiskey and a good portion of tequila before the night was over. I spilled my guts and told Blake and Emma everything I've done. With a few wows, damns from the guys and holy shitballs from Emma, and several other comments from the others. That's when I realized Blake was very quiet. I wasn't sure how to read him. But I didn't see it as good.

He will help, just as he said he would but only by telling me what I should do. The others give their opinions and then together we find the best plan of attack to fix this. The rest is up to me. Even though I feel like Blake's and the family's opinion of me lowered tonight, I feel like I got a weight off my chest. Telling them, in a way, is allowing me to move forward. It's not going to be easy but nothing worth it ever is.

"Just remember." Blake said before he and Emma went to bed. "Your family will always be here for you, Aiden. We're the ones who know you deep down and accept all your faults and stupidity, no matter what. We love you unconditionally and know you feel the same. You never have to prove yourself here and will always have a place to vent and a place that's yours. Family matters, Aiden."

Please remember to vote comment and share if you are enjoying this book thank you

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2M 58.5K 77
Emma's life takes an exciting turn when she moves back to her hometown. Certain circumstances cause her to run into the schools most notorious footba...
134K 10.5K 64
✬ 𝕋𝕙𝕖 π”»π•’π•£π•œ οΌ† π•ƒπ•šπ•˜π•™π•₯ π•Šπ•–π•£π•šπ•–π•€ ✬ There is a crucial moment in one's life that determines the outcome of everything; well, as books and m...
272K 10.8K 21
"I walked over to where Aaron was sitting on the ground, kneeling so that I was face-to-face with him. He was wearing a blank expression on his face...
293K 8.2K 24
Kingston Series #1 THE FIRST BOOK OF THE KINGSTON SERIES! Tanner has his entire life planned out. He has a full ride football scholarship as the st...