Mirror of Embers (Book 1)

By Monkeygirl311

Ember Ryvergrave is tired and alone. Her mother is dead, her twin sister doesn't need her, and her best frien... More

a e s t h e t i c s
i n t r o d u c t i o n
p r o l o g u e
o n e
t w o
t h r e e
f o u r
f i v e
s i x
s e v e n
e i g h t
n i n e
t e n
e l e v e n
t w e l v e
t h i r t e e n
f i f t e e n
s i x t e e n
s e v e n t e e n
e i g h t e e n
n i n e t e e n
t w e n t y
t w e n t y - o n e
t w e n t y - t w o
t w e n t y - t h r e e
t w e n t y - f o u r
t w e n t y - f i v e
t w e n t y - s i x
t w e n t y - s e v e n
t w e n t y - e i g h t
t w e n t y - n i n e
t h i r t y
t h i r t y - o n e
t h i r t y - t w o
t h i r t y - t h r e e
t h i r t y - f o u r
t h i r t y - f i v e
t h i r t y - s i x
t h i r t y - s e v e n
e p i l o g u e
the end of book one!!

f o u r t e e n

8.4K 299 551
By Monkeygirl311

Ember

    MY HEART IS BEATING OUTSIDE OF MY CHEST. I haven't seen Kam in a year. We left on gods awful terms. He told me he could never be with someone like me and left me. Never even came back to at least say good-bye as I sailed back to Marelli. I guess that was my first real breakup. Faune hadn't come with Reighla and me for the trip to Tennia. She had exams and couldn't miss them. So Reighla took me with her alone. It was actually a lot of fun. Reighla was gone all day at business meetings so I got to explore the country. We stayed in the capital—Kryler. It was beautiful. The Elves were lovely. They showed me their beautiful gardens, their dainty tea shops. I loved every minute of it. I can remember it so vividly, the day I got to explore on my own.

    I walked down this lovely stone bridge I had found in the forest, it was old and deserted, moss and little white flowers were growing out of the crevices of the stone. I sat all day on it enjoying the peace and quiet when suddenly the sun was gone from behind me and a shadow was looming over me. I looked up to see the most beautiful man standing over me. He had molten gold eyes. They reminded me so much of Faune's, but his were pure gold whereas Faune's were honey. He had tawny skin, it looked sandy to me. But, it seemed light at the same time. My immediate thought was that he was from Oshien. He looked Oshienian. But Oshienians didn't come to Tennia. Ever. There has been bad blood with them for centuries. He had to be mixed. His pointed ears proved my theory. Definitely Fae or Elf. Elves usually had colourful skin tones though. Ranging from bright greens to dark pinks. This man had no bright coloured skin.

    His hair was midnight coloured and perfect. It was fluffy and styled. My fingers had yearned to mess it up. It wasn't fair for someone to look this beautiful and get away with it. Especially his face, he had a strong jaw and sharp cheekbones. His lips were full and puckered. His eye lashes were what I was most envious over. They were thick and long. They were naturally curled too. I hated him just from looking at his face. No one needed to be that beautiful.

    "What are you doing?" He asked, his accent was smooth and elegant. He sounded like a prince. "I'm enjoying the quiet, well I was enjoying the quiet." I said with a sharp look. He narrowed his eyes, his eyes roved over me, assessing me. "There were other places you could've gone for quiet." He said, shoving his hands into his pockets.

    "I liked it here." I replied.

    He walked over to my side and dropped down, sitting cross-legged beside me. "This is my spot." He said, not looking at me.

    I look around obnoxiously, "I don't see your name on it." He chuckled.

    "I suppose you're right." He looked at me and smiled, "What's your name?" He asked. I looked him dead in the eyes, staring blankly at him. "Guess." His face scrunched up and his eyebrows pinched together.

"You want me to guess your name?" He asked incredulously.

"Yes, was I unclear?" He scoffed at my tone, it made me smile. Oh, it was fun pissing him off. He glared at me for a moment then studied me. My body tensed. His gaze was like fire on my skin.

"Hannah," he said.

I tilted my head back and burst out laughing.

"Do I look like a Hannah to you?" I asked.

He looked me up and down then narrowed his eyes, "Yes."

"What about me?" He asked, gesturing to himself.

I turned my body so I could look at all of him. I tapped my chin twice and tilted my head to the side. He rolled his eyes at me. "Bob."

He started sputtering. Proper sputtering. I had to bite my cheek to stop from howling at his face. He looked like he could die from a heart attack at any moment. "Bob?! I do not look like a Bob!"

I gave him a tight smile and shrugged. "It's not like I picked the name Bob. It chose you. It came to me. Like the gods were telling me 'his name is Bob.' The name clearly loves you, Bob." Oh, he was fuming. Gods, this was funny. Then he tilted his head to the side and said: "Fine, then the gods chose Hannah, too. I clearly don't make the rules."

I smirked. "Fine. Nice to meet you, Bob." I stuck my hand out.

He took my hand in his elegant fingers, "It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Hannah." I didn't hide my smile that time.

We were just two people seeking quiet and peace, and yet found each other instead. It's strange how the world works.

I had never imagined I would fall head over heels for that guy.

I never imagine meeting him at a tavern in the middle of the night, because he had information on my missing friend.

The tavern was empty, some barmaid was hustling out drunken men and throwing them into the abandoned alleys. Not caring if their faces were landing face first into a puddle of . . . Ach, gods know what's in those puddles. The barmaid sees me, it's the same one I flipped the gold coin to earlier. She must recognize me too because she holds the door open for me. I hurry in and thank her. "They're in the back," she whispers to me. I bow my head in thanks and throw my hood. I wiggle my boot, wanting the reassurance that my daggers are in there. I feel the weight of them and feel something lift off my chest. I stride through the tavern with my head down. Avoiding all the barmaids cleaning the messy hall.

I end up back in the hall with the washrooms and the back exit door. But now, I notice on the opposite end of the hall there is a door marked PRIVATE.

Naturally, I head right for it. I don't bother knocking, I go right in.

The room seems like a private lounge, no ones in here, save for one person. Sitting with their back to me. It's a booth with velvet seats. This is definitely a room for rich nobles. Hoping to spend some private time with certain barmaids or other ladies who stroll through Leaky Tim's. There's also a couch in here. Velvet as well. I am not going anywhere near it. I shiver at the thought of all the people who have had dirty sex on it. Ugh.

I stroll right up to the booth and steel myself. My spine straightens. My jaw clenches. My chin is lifted high. I slide into the booth. Opposite to the person sitting across from me.

"Hello, Hannah." He smiles.

I don't, I keep my face impassive. Bored, even. "Hello, Robert."

"Robert?" He asks, his smile slipping away and turning into a frown. "Why so formal?"

"Only friends can call you, Bob. As I remember, we are not anymore."

"Ah," he says leaning back, drink in hand. Whiskey. His favourite. "I see."

He looks exactly the same. His hair is the same length and colour, his face is the same. Beautiful. Dick. Fucking dick. Why does he have to look so perfect? It's unnecessary. His eyes are the same. Their gold rings seem to be on fire as he stares into his whiskey. He takes a large swig and sets down his cup. He rubs his thumb along the glass. The same ring as Landon's is there, but the only difference is that on the sunset orange jewel there is a black crown engraved in. Their house crest.

Kam sighs, "How are you?"

"Peachy."

He looks up to me and rolls his eyes, "I'm fine, thanks for asking. Are you not even going to try and be pleasant?"

I throw a dramatic hand over my heart, "Whatever do you mean? I am perfectly pleasant, thank you very much."

He narrows his eyes at me, his gaze trails me from head to toe. His eyes linger for too long on my chest. Pig. I kick him in the shins from under the table. He yelps.

"My eyes are up here, Kam." I hiss, he looks up to my face and rubs his now hurt shin. Good. He deserved it. Feel my wrath Kam.

"Indeed they are," he says gazing into my eyes. It makes me uncomfortable. He can't look at me like that anymore. He broke up with me. And, I'm with Royal now. Kam can't look at me with that look in his eyes, ever. "I'm glad you still haven't lost your . . . spirit."

I mock a bow. My eyes narrow to slits as I stare at him. "Get on with it Kam, where's Eden."

He sighs, "Would you like a drink first?"

I consider it. A drink would help this awful conversation. But, I can't. I need to be in my right state of mind right now. "I'm good, I'd rather remember gutting you." I say sweetly, flashing him a saccharine smile. He smiles back at me. "I've missed you," he says. Missed me? Pardon me? He was the one who ended things. Ugh, what an ass. I'm taken aback a bit. Two people have told me they've missed me today. Wow. Weird.

I roll my eyes and lean my forearms on the table, while leaning my body forward on the table. "Where's Eden?" I repeat.

Kam leans forward as well, "She's safe, I am personally seeing to it that she is." He replies.

"What the fuck does that mean?"

"It means," he runs an agitated hand through his hair, "that I'm taking care of her."

I scoff, "And, what? That's supposed to make me feel so much better?"

"I need you to trust me." He says.

I laugh. Trust him? I trusted him before, and that got me nowhere. Why the fuck am I supposed to take his word on this? I ask him just that.

"Because, I'm trying to help."

"Right, so, I'll just sit back and let you deal with her. You can bring her back to Marelli for me then." I say, sarcasm dripping off my tongue. He clearly doesn't hear it or get it because he replies: "You should. You shouldn't work too hard." Something inside of me snaps. I'm so angry.

    "You don't get to do this." I say.

    He raises a delicate brow, "Do what?"

    I gesture to between us. "You don't get to act like you care about me, or my well being. You don't get to care, Kam."

    His eyes soften, "But, I do. I do care, Ember. Always have, always will."

    I stare at him, looking into his golden eyes, the eyes I had grown to love. I can tell he's being truthful. But it isn't fair. None of this is fair. He can't do this to me. Trick my feelings like this.

    Suddenly done with this conversation, I change the subject. "Why are you here, Kam?"

    "I'm here for you." His eyes burn into my skull.

    "No, you can't do this Kam, you can't. It isn't fair-"

    He cuts me off, and blurts out the most absurd thing. "You're my mate."

    I stare at him. That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. His mate. It's laughable. Actually, I'm laughing right now. I'm wheezing. Kam stares at me with a look of horror on his face.

    Tears stream down my face, I wipe them away and continue chuckling. "You can't be serious."

    His jaw clenches, "Deadly."

    I stop laughing, his face is stern. "Pardon me?"

    "You're my mate."

    "No I'm not."

    "Yes, you are."

    I stand up from the table and get out. He can't be serious, this has to be some kind of cruel joke. I can't be his mate. I won't be his mate. I don't love him. The only feelings I have for Kam are hate. I hate him. For everything he's ever done to me. Everything.

    Kam is suddenly in front of me, holding my elbows. I jerk out of his grip. I can't believe this is happening. I thought I could finally be free, with Royal. I could beat Reighla's bargain and leave her forever. Now . . . another person has shackled me to them. I have been leashed once more.

    Fuck no. Fuck that. No, I decide my fate. Not him. Not Reighla. Not anyone. "Just come with me, Ember. Let me explain things." He reaches for me, I swat him away and start pacing through the room. "I am not going anywhere with you."

    "Please, Em-"

    I storm away, heading for the door, I swing it open and slam into a large muscled body. I stumble away from them only to be grabbed by my wrists. They pin my hands behind my back. "What-"

    "Ember Ryvergrave, you are being placed under arrest by King Adrian."

    I whip my head to the guard holding me, "Excuse me?!" I bark, but he doesn't listen to me. I jerk my head to Kam. His eyes are sad and distant as he stares at me. His hands are in his pockets. "Kam-"

    The guard twists my wrist, painfully, I groan. "That is no way to address the High-King of Llyria." The guard hisses at me.

    My brows scrunch together. High-King of Llyria? Who is? Was he talking about Kam? I open my mouth to ask what he's talking about when something clasps around my wrists and traps my hands inside. Something at my core jerks. It feels like something is being ripped out of me.  I slump to the floor. My body feels so drained all of a sudden. My head feels like it weighs a ton. I can't seem to keep my eyes open. "What did you do!" I can hear Kam demand, he storms over to me and drops to his knees. He takes my face in his hands and lifts my head to face him. My eyes won't stay open and I can't seem to function. Everything hurts. I feel so utterly drained. "It's the cuffs, it has to stop her powers." The guard says, yanking me to my feet. Kam bolts up and twists the man's hands off of me. "Don't touch her." Kam snarls.

    "I'm doing what King Adrian instructed, King Kamolinn. I follow his orders, not yours." And with that he drags me through the tavern and out the back door. A carriage is at the front. No doubt for Kam, but attached at the back is a cage with iron bars. It's about as tall as a hound. They can't seriously stuff me in there-

    The pummel of the guards sword slams into the side of my head. Everything goes black. I feel myself fall to the ground. The last thing I can remember is being cradled in strong arms.

Eden

    "What are you doing?" Landon demands. I turn and smile sweetly at him. "I'm making art."

    "With the curtains?" He asks incredulously.

    I scoff, "The Fae clearly don't know true art when they see it. You should properly educate yourself, General. It may help you in the future."

    Landon flips me off, Dilynn snickers. If I'm going to be forced to spend time in King Kamolinn's suite, I met as well have some fun. Though, it did hurt me to ruin the curtains, it makes me feel better knowing the King will have a fit about it. Landon storms up to me and pries the scissors out of my hands.

    "Who let her have scissors?" Landon asks turning around the room to Minette and Dilynn. Minette scowls at me and Dilynn snickers again.

    "I am not some child who can't be trusted, General. I would like my scissors back please." I go to reach for them but he jerks his arm up and out of my reach. I stomp on his foot and then tackle him to the ground. I grab the scissors and run. He chases after me. I see Dilynn is doubled over laughing and Minette can't stop from groaning. "I swear to the gods, Eden, if you don't-" I slip on the floor and knock over a large vase. Landon falls on top of me. The vase goes down with a loud ear shattering crash. We both lay on the floor with our mouths open. I push Landon off me and look at the damage. Well, that's just great. I have smashed this vase into a million pieces. "Oops," I say.

    "Now you've done it," Minette mumbles.

    Landon rises to his feet, fury lining his beautiful features. "That's it, Kam said if you stepped out of line I could send you back to your cell. I've been nice all day! But now? I'm throwing your ass back in." He grabs my chained hands and starts jerking me across the room. Minette hops off the couch and follows us. Trailing Landon and me, saying that this isn't necessary, how I'll be better and she'll keep an eye on me. Bullshit.

    I don't care though, I'd rather be back in my cell anyway. I miss my little waste bucket. We used to have delightful conversations. Much better company then the three Faes and Minette. Though, I did enjoy Dilynn's company. She helped me egg-on Landon. She's probably the only person I like in this whole gods-damned castle, to be honest.

    Landon finally drags me back to my cell. Ah, the sticky walls. They feel like home at this point. Landon opens the door and guides me in. Scowling the whole time. I grin up at him. Minette shakes her head, "You couldn't have just kept your mouth shut, Eden?"

    I ease myself back onto the floor. "You've known me since I was eleven, Minette, when have I ever been known to shut my mouth?"

    She scowls, "You and Ember never know-"

    She's cut off by someone's cough, "Eden?" they whisper. Minette and Landon whip around. I crawl to the bars and peer through. My heart stops at who I see sitting there on the floor.

"Ember?" I breathe.

    She's sitting with her back to the wall, her face looks grey. Alarmingly grey. Her eyes are red and her hands are in large iron cuffs. They encase her hands and fingers inside. The chains are tied to her ankles as well. Her hair is tied back, her dark brown curls are barely contained in it. Like she threw it up lazily before going somewhere. She's been put in a grey gown and her feet are bare. I can see bruises and cuts all over her. Her lips are chapped and cracked. How long has she been in here? It couldn't have been long. I was in here only yesterday. What have they done to her. Oh gods, this isn't good.

    "What happened to you?" Landon demands, he tries to open the door with his magic, but he can't for some reason. He touches the bars and hisses. He jerks his hand back. "What the hell-"

    "Blessed Iron." She coughs. We all gasp. Blessed Iron. It's not easy to come by, it has to be blessed by incredibly powerful Metal-Bounds. They have to pray to Hema and hope she blesses the iron. The fact that the King was able to get this much and to make a cell out of it. Gods.

    "To keep Kam out." She says leaning her head back and closing her eyes. She looks like she's on the brink of death. What did they do to her?

    Landon seems to have the same thoughts as me, "What the fuck did they do to you?" He crouches down to get a better look at her, he sucks in his breath and curses. Minette does the same.

    "The cuffs," she whispers, "seem to be draining the life out of me." She laughs at the end, as if all of this is funny. At least she's still in there, if she's able to laugh at her own misery she must be alive.

    "Kam was supposed to bring you-" Landon starts.

    "King Adrian had different ideas, they put these," she rattles her hands, "on me and then knocked me out. Kam tried to help, but they wouldn't budge. He said," she goes into a coughing fit, "he said he'd fix everything. But I don't think there's much he can do for me now. The guards put me in here temporarily until my room is ready. I'm honored King Adrian is treating me with such hospitality." She smirks at the end.

    I know she's not well, I know that, but I need to ask. I have to know-

    "No, Irina wasn't with me. They're no doubt on their way here. But no, she wasn't with me, Eden." Ember says answering my unspoken question. I nod my head. I can't tell if I'm happy Ember left Irina behind, or furious she left Irina alone. But right now I can't be any of those things, considering the state she's in. King Adrian found her and drained the magic out of her. That's what's happening right now. Her power is stronger than I thought, for her to be on the brink of death without it . . . gods know what the King wants with her. I'm not surprised though, he might as well turn her into some sort of weapon. If he can put the reins on her and tie her to him.

    "There has to be something we can do," Minette says, she looks frantic, her star Bastard is about to die, no, that won't do for Miss Minette Gaeth.

    Ember raises her head and looks straight to Landon. "Landon, there is something you can do."

    "Anything." He says, it takes me aback. He's being kind to her, like he actually cares about her. Perhaps they were friends? Both King Kamolinn and Landon talk about Ember as if they were close to her, Ember refers to the King as Kam, like Landon does. Maybe they were all friends. But, it feels like a lifetime ago. I can see how Landon gazes at her, I can see what he sees-a sister-I can hear the love in his voice as he speaks to her. I wonder what happened between them.

    "I promised Irina I'd bring Eden home. Do me a favor? Bring her home for me. Please?"

    "Oh please," Minette says scowling, "nothing will happen to her. Like nothing will happen to your sister."

    Ember springs up, she pushes herself against the bars and grabs Minette by the shirt, lips pulled back in a snarl. "What did you say?"

    "He didn't tell you?" Minette asks, not pulling away from Ember's grasp. I don't know how she just gained back all her strength. Just the mention of her sister returned her to her original state. Ember yanks Minette hard against the bars, hitting her head in the process. Minette hisses, she tries to disentangle Ember's fingers from her shirt but Ember holds on. Ember holds her as if it's all that matters in the world. "They're looking for Faune. They want to observe her."

    Ember grabs the back of Minette's head and slams it with all her might into the bars. A groan escapes Minette before she crumples to the floor. Ember's face makes me want to shrink away to my cot. Bury my face in my threadbare sheets. I have never seen someone look so feral before. The feral beast hiding under her skin is finally showing itself.

    I think I can feel the floor to her cell begin to tremble under her.

    She turns her ferocious gaze to Landon. He doesn't shrink back from her like I wanted to. He does flinch though. "Don't let them take her, you take all of them and run. Do not let what the King is doing to me happen to Faune. Do you hear me Landon? If I find out that she has so much as set foot in this castle I will personally hunt you down and skin you from head to toe and feed you to my wolves. Do you understand?"

    Wolves? What wolves? I can sense Landon wanting to ask the same question, but he keeps his mouth shut. Instead of asking, he nods. Ember seems to cool down a bit at it. "Eden knows what she looks like, she knows everyone, she can find them. Send all of them back on a boat to Marelli, or to Llyria or Tennia, I don't care. Just get them far away from here. Please." Something shifts in Landon as he hears her last word. Please.

    "You are not going to die, Ember," he grinds out, "Kam won't let anything happen to you, especially because he's-"

    "My mate. Yes, I know." She finishes for him. "Doesn't mean I believe him, Landon. He can say it all her wants or until he's blue in the face. I don't care. I am no ones, I decide my future, not him."

    "I never insinuated-"

    "Whatever, just get them out, please. That's all I ask."

    He nods his head, he walks over to my cell and lets me out. No, no! What is he doing? I can't leave her here. Not like this. I won't do it.

    "No! I'm not leaving you here, Ember."

    She scoffs, "You don't have much of a choice," she says easing herself back onto the ground. "They're in Lodashine, I can feel Faune's close. Which means Irina is here as well."

    "Faune won't let us leave you-"

    "Drag her if you have to, knock her out. You'll have to do that to Royal as well." Royal? Who the hell is that? I thought she was just with Shann. Oh! Minette said Ember was with one of Minette's friends. That must be him I guess. But why would he be so upset about her leaving?

Landon crosses his arms over his chest, "Why? Who's Royal?" he asks.

"He's my-my, boyfriend? I guess, I don't know."

"Boyfriend?" Landon and I ask in sync. Ember smiles weakly. "Yeah, it's new to me too." Her face turns grim, "Just get them out of here, sedate Faune and Royal if you have too. Just get them out, they're at an Inn beside Leaky Tim's tavern, Landon knows where it is."

Landon nods, and starts pulling me away. I stop and turn back to Ember. The girl I had always wanted to be my partner. The girl I always wanted to be friends with. The girl who has been through so much pain and can't seem to catch a break. "I'll come back for you. When everyone's safe, I'll come back and bring hell down on the kingdom. I promise you that, Ember Ryvergrave." She smirks, it's an evil smirk, one I use way too much. "Bring this castle down to rubble."

I smirk back at her before turning back around to Landon. Ember's voice rings out. "Tell them—tell them I love them. Tell them I'm sorry." I turn my head around to nod, then I turn back to Landon. He gives me a nod, and I understand exactly what we're about to do. We take off running.

Ember's last wishes ring through my head. She never said anyone specific to tell that too, but I know who. Royal and Faune. And I will, I'll tell them everything she said. I'll give them her lost words.

Landon unshackles me as we reach King Kamolinn's chambers. I realize as we step in that we left Minette on the ground unconscious. Whoops. I don't particularly care, to be honest. We burst into the room, to see Dilynn reading on the couch. She springs up when she sees our expressions.

"We're leaving." I say, she stares at me for a moment, then nods her head. She shoves on the shoes the King gave her and follows us. I grab a cloak from His Majesty's drawer and follow Landon.

We run through the castle. He takes us through back tunnels and halls so no one sees us.

As we run all I can think is that this may be the last time I ever see Ember again. The last time I'll see her . . . alive. I push that thought down. I will see her again. I'll make sure of it. Ember Ryvergrave will not die in that cell. I won't allow it.

We all thunder through a tunnel, it's the shipping and receiving of goods for the castle. We slip around all the carriages and finally reach outside. It's nearly dawn. It'll be hard to navigate, but I think we'll be fine.

This is the first time I've been outside in a week. I breathe in the smell of damp grass, the smell of a nearby bakery baking bread for the morning customers. I smile inwardly.

"Where do we go?" Dilynn asks.

Landon turns to us and signals for us to pull our hoods up. We do. He starts down a path, Dilynn and I follow. "We go get Ember's friends," he turns suddenly at a crossroad. Dilynn follows him easily, she's just as tall and has long legs. I curse all of them and have to jog to keep up. "Then," he says, turning to make eye contact with me, his face determined, "we bring Ember home." I nod my head, I'm glad we're on the same page. We won't let anything happen to her. I steel myself for the journey.

I may not have been able to kill King Kamolinn, but I will certainly kill King Adrian. And, oh how I'll delight in it.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

639K 13.3K 19
**UNDER EDITING ** Lily is the badgirl in school but as she was expelled from her school in England, her Dad got a job promotion and had to move to C...
14.7K 587 8
Baldwin IV, called the Leper, was King of Jerusalem in the medieval age of the 12th century. He start his reign in 1174 at a young age. King Baldwin...
435K 14.2K 139
Genre: Space, Doting, Farming, Time travel, Healing Synopsis: Xu Linyue from the 21st century crossing over with the heavenly space soul penetration...
Remember By Alexis

Mystery / Thriller

105K 13.4K 101
Imagine being stranded in the middle of nowhere with no memory of who you are. You randomly walk into a coffee shop, clueless. You start questioning...