Recovery

By sparkybark17

BOOK 1 OF RECOVERY SERIES Grace Adams has battled with depression for the majority of her life, but her best... More

Recovery
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Epilogue
But Wait- There's More!

Chapter 46

10.2K 533 134
By sparkybark17

The next morning, when Jace inevitably went into my room early in the morning to wake me up, I wasn't there. In fact, I was nowhere in the house.

As I sit with my legs crossed over each other, sipping on a glass of peppermint tea, I can imagine him poking his head into the kitchen and the living room, looking for me.

I'm sure it will take him a while to guess that I am in the middle of Trigger's paddock, watching the Stallion as he grazes, his head a few inches from me.

I reach out and scratch his cheek, a melancholy smile on my face.

"Hey buddy," I whisper.

I curled up in a ball in the center of my bed last night, trying desperately to fall back asleep. I eventually dozed off,  but was awoken by another nightmare around 6 AM. At that point, I got out of bed, got dressed, and made myself some tea, before going out to be with Trig.

I've been sitting here ever since.

Trigger nudges my shoulder lightly with his nose, before going back to munching on the grass.

Curious, I pluck a piece of grass out of the ground and nibble on it. Seconds later, I spit it out.

"Trig, that's disgusting!" I laugh. "How do you like it?"

He doesn't respond, and I sigh. I take one last sip of my tea, effectively finishing it off.

I place my mug on the fence post, before walking up to Trig. I cross my arms over his back, laying my head down on him. He continues to munch on grass, oblivious to my mental turmoil.

"What's wrong with me, Trig?" I ask quietly.

"Well, for starters, you were having a tea party with a horse," a familiar voice chides.

I smirk, turning around. "Good one."

Jace is standing at the fence, a smile on his face.

"Why are you up so early? And why are you out here?"

I frown. "I couldn't sleep."

Neither of us speak for a moment, although he gives me a sympathetic look.

"The dreams again?"

"Yeah."

"I thought you said they stopped?"

"They did, for a while," I sigh. I pause before adding, "I think it helps when I'm not sleeping alone."

"Gross! You were sleeping with Avery? Too much information!"

"Not like that, you perv," I snap playfully. "Just in the same room. Well, the same bed. But we just slept- nothing else."

He frowns at me.

"Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," I say unconvincingly.

"You could have woken me up."

"Then you wouldn't have been able to sleep," I chuckle.

"Grace-"

"I'm fine," I assure. "Really, I am."

I pull away from Trigger and walk up to the gate where Jace is standing.

"Do you have all your stuff ready?" I ask.

"It's packed into my car. Just wanted to say goodbye to you," he says.

"Why are you leaving so early?"

"It's a two day drive. I want to make it to my hotel by seven so I can eat room service in bed," he chuckles.

"Room service? I bet your parents will love paying for that," I chuckle.

"It's not like they can't afford it," he shrugs.

And its true. Both of our parents are very well off- money has never been a problem for either of us.

"Are you going to eat breakfast here, or on the road?" I ask.

"I'll eat while I drive," he says.

We both look at each other for a moment, knowing what comes next.

"Call me when you get to your hotel?" I say.

"Of course."

I throw my arms around him, laying my head on his shoulder.

"I'll see you in about a month," he says.

"I love you," I whisper.

"I love you, too."

I continue to hug him for a moment, before pulling apart.

"I better go," he says. "Are you sure you'll be okay here? Cause I can always kidnap you and take you back to Cali"

"It's not so bad," I chuckle, glancing over my shoulder at Trig.

"I mean with-"

He doesn't finish the sentence, but I can already hear what he was going to say.

I mean with Avery.

"I can handle Avery," I assure him.

"You sure?"

"Yeah," I say. "Now get out of here."

He smiles at me.

"Bye, Grace."

I lean up and place a kiss on his cheek.

"Goodbye, Jace."

I watch him as he climbs into his car and drives away, leaving me alone once again.

Trigger nudges my shoulder, and I smile.

Well, maybe not completely alone.

---------------------------------------------------------

At breakfast, I sit quietly between Ivy and Laurel, my tired eyes staring at the food on my plate. I know I should be eating, but I'm so tired.

Shortly after Jace left, my lack of sleep started to catch up with me. Now, I can hardly keep my eyes open.

I sigh, and take a bit of my pancakes, my chewing slow and methodical.

My gaze involuntarily flits to Avery, and I see that he looks every bit as tired as me. For some reason, that makes me feel better.

"Long night?" Ivy asks.

"Couldn't sleep," I say honestly. "I think I could go for a cup of coffee. I'll be back in a minute," I say.

I trudge into the kitchen, my feet seeming heavier than usual, and pour myself a cup of coffee. A few seconds later, someone comes in behind me. I don't have to look to know its Avery.

I mentally prepare myself to lash out at him, to tell him to go away.

But I don't have to.

He grabs a mug out of the cabinet, and fills it with coffee once I'm done filling my own cup. He pours in a bit of cream, and then head back into the dining room.

When I told him to screw off last night, I didn't expect this.

I didn't expect for him to listen.

---------------------------------------------

The rest of the day was slow, and I was unbearably tired. At one point, I actually fell asleep in the middle of the barn while I was cleaning tack.

At night, when everyone filters off to their rooms to go to sleep, I make my way to the living room, and curl up on the couch, leaving the lamp light on. I feel safer there than in my room, and fall to sleep much easier.

When I wake up early the next morning, a blanket I've never seen is draped over me, and Avery's car is gone.

A/N

Hey!!!

Told you there would be another update today! I kept my word. It is short, I admit, but at least its something.

Next update should be... interesting....

Oh, I've been asked if Grace and Jace will get together. No, they won't. Even though, if I'm being completely honest, I kind of ship them just a little bit. But they don't belong together. Sorry to the few of you who ship them.

By the way, I wanted to get something said to all of you: No matter what happens between Avery and Grace- if they get back together (and I'm not saying they will)- I want you to know that you should never, ever stay with someone who lays their hands on you in any way that is not loving. I swear, if your significant other ever physically hurts you, you leave them right then and there. Or, if you're actually afraid of them, you shoot them a breakup text later.

And then, you message me their address so I can put out a hit on them.

Just Kidding.

Or am I?

The point is, don't stay in an  abusive relationship. You deserve so much better.

Anyways, I've said my piece.

You all are so awesome. By the way, thanks for sticking with me even with the long waits.

I love you all.

Goodnight My Lovelies

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

44 1 8
After a traumatic experience ace has to go off to a horse riding school. Apparently a therapy school for 2 years. She's been a cowgirl almost her who...
19K 826 53
"I wouldn't trade anything for the love we had, but it..it..." I break down, and look away. I can't do this. I can't. It still hurts to much. My woun...
579 65 19
While a horse is on his way to slaughter and a girl on her way to the hospital destiny finds a way to tie the two together. Penny Smith, a normal gir...
136K 7.3K 35
A fatal mistake and a dead horse sink Era into depression, and she vows never to ride again. But when her mother sends her to her father's ranch to '...