New Horizon [Morganville]

By pastaqueen

The Morganville Vampires fanfiction. New Horizon fanfic series book one out of three. Completed. Morganvill... More

A Note From The Author
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Epilogue

Chapter Nineteen

1.7K 29 10
By pastaqueen

“Hey freak!”

Claire heard the voice from behind her, and that was followed by a horn going off. Claire had been appreciating the warm weather and a pleasant walk to TPU, until now. She kept walking and looked over her shoulder to see a red convertible heading her way. She stopped when she realized who it was.

“Monica?” Claire raised her eyebrows and turned around. Not surprisingly, Monica was blonde again. She was wearing a hot pink cocktail dress with a matching pair of pumps. “What do you want?”

Monica stopped the car besides Claire, and stared at her. “Now you’re going to tell me who the hell is going to be Mayor of this dumbass town.”

Claire tilted her head to the side. “How am I supposed to know?”

Monica stared at her for several seconds before she scoffed. “Oh come on. Everyone knows that you’re the Founder’s top priority.” Claire blinked and shook her head. She turned and started walking again. Monica’s car accelerated and she was already next to Claire. “Hey! I’m talking to you.” Monica exclaimed. Claire didn’t stop, she kept walking. She heard the car door slam shut, and Monica shoved Claire before she even turned around. It wasn’t a hard shove, but it was hard enough to make Claire stumble a little. She turned around.

“What do you want?” Claire exclaimed. She winced a little at her own voice. When had she gotten the nerve to speak to Monica like that? She wouldn’t have even talked to her dog like that... if she had one.

“Watch it freak,” Monica shifted her body weight onto one leg as she placed her hands on her hips. “I told you what I want. Who’s going to be Mayor?”

“I don’t know. Even if they did tell me, I can’t remember.”

One of Monica’s perfectly arched eyebrows raised and she pursed her glossy lips. “As if. You wouldn’t forget anything in your whole life.”

“Monica. I honestly don’t know, okay? Sorry.” Claire turned and started to walk again. Monica’s heels tapped on the pavement, and she was standing in front of Claire. Again.  

“No insults, and an apology?” Monica crossed her arms. “What’s up with you?”

Claire sighed. Obviously she was being too nice. She walked around Monica, but the girl persisted on following her. “Come on. Now that you’re eighteen doesn’t mean you have to start over and be all nice. If anything, start fights.”

“Why? Because that’s what you did?”

Monica shrugged. “It’s fun.”

“So is pushing a girl down the stairs, right?”

Monica faltered for a bit, as if she were expecting something else. “Really? You’re not going with, ‘so is setting fire to a house.’ Having a fight with Collins or something?”

Claire stopped and turned to look at Claire. “That was you?” She demanded. Monica actually took a step back. “You set fire to Shane’s house? Because of you his sister died!”

“Why do you seem so surprised? You already know.”

“What’s surprising is that you would murder Shane’s little sister, and then talk bad about him years later.”

“It wasn’t murder. It was an accident.”

“An accident is falling of your bike and scraping your knee. Setting fire to a house is no where near an accident.” That caused Monica to stop, and Claire took that as her advantage to leave. “I wouldn’t leave your car there if I were you. It might just happen to burst into flames.”

Claire heard Monica stutter, as if she couldn’t believe what Claire had just said to her. Eventually, she heard the car door slam shut and Monica drove off.

Claire swallowed and kept walking, on her way to TPU.

* * *

She didn’t know how many people actually knew her at school.

Lots of students came up to her, asking when she would be singing at Common Grounds again. Claire, not knowing what they were talking about, told them that she would think about it.

In class, she found the work just as easy as it normally was. But she had to admit, there were some things that she didn’t remember learning. She found herself doodling in her notebook during most of her classes. She flipped to a page which had SHANE COLLINS and a love heart drawn around it with the I on top. Claire sighed at herself. Man, the other Claire was a love-struck idiot. She flipped another page. This sheet had tonnes of notes and weird symbols on it. Claire tilted her head to the side, trying to read the writing. The scribble literally went around in loops and circles over her page. She squinted as she tried to understand the writing.

It wasn’t hers, that part was obvious. Then at the bottom of the page, Claire saw that she had written once sentence. MYRNIN IS LAME. Claire shook her head, as she read what must have been Myrnin’s reply.

“Hey,” Claire yelped and shut her book. She turned to face a guy, he was laughing. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to scare you.”

Claire looked him up and down. He had brown hair and green eyes. Pretty cute too.  “It’s fine.”

“My name is Dylan, by the way. I never got to tell you at Common Grounds.”

Claire blinked, and nodded. “Oh. Right, yeah. I remember.” She didn’t.

“You’re an awesome singer. And I know that heaps of people have already said that, including me, but it’s true.”

“Thanks.”

“So, how are you and your boyfriend going?”

Claire swallowed. “Shane?”

“Yeah, him. How are you and Shane?”

“Uh, okay. I guess.”

Dylan narrowed his eyes. “That means something’s up.”

Claire raised her eyebrows. “No it doesn’t.”

He shrugged, “Whatever you say. You know, personally I don’t think that he’s the right guy for you.”

Oh, great. Here we go again.

“Oh yeah? Who is then?”

Dylan shrugged again. “Me.”

Claire laughed, and that got her a glare from the teacher. “Sorry. But I’m not interested.”

“Hmm? Is that what you think?” Dylan scooted over a little closer. “Maybe we could, have a test run?”

Claire stared at him, and she eventually laughed. She stopped when she saw that Dylan was looking around the classroom. Other students looked in their direction, whispering comments too. Claire stopped laughing and frowned.

“Wait, you’re joking. Right?”

Dylan smiled. “Do you think I’m joking?” The bell rang and Claire started to pack up her things.

“I’m with Shane. You know that?” It felt weird to Claire saying that, but she was thankful for being able to say it.

“It’s not like you’ll be cheating on him. Like I said, it’s a test run.”

“Okay,” Claire stood up. “Then take this as a test run too.” She flipped him off, turned and stormed out of the classroom.

* * *

“Wait!” Claire didn’t pause when she heard Dylan call her name. “Claire, just wait up!” Claire passed Common Grounds just as Dylan caught up to her.

He grabbed her arm, but Claire shook him off. “What do you want?” She exclaimed. “Can’t you go annoy someone else?”

“Look, I’m sorry. How about we get a coffee?”

“How about no. I’ve got to get home.”

“Then let me walk you home.”

“No. I told you before: I. Am. Not. Interested.”

“I’m asking to walk you home, that’s all. Okay?”

Claire sighed. “Fine. But then you leave me alone?”

“Unless you beg for me to come back.” Claire rolled her eyes and turned her back on him as she began to walk home. Dylan caught up with her. “Want me to hold your stuff?” He asked after a while.

“No thank you. I can handle myself.”

he shrugged, “Whatever you say.”

Claire sighed. “Listen, nothing is going to happen between us.”

“Maybe.”

“No. Nothing is going to happen. If all you want is to sleep with me, then you’re barking up the wrong tree.”

Dylan raised his eyebrows. “I’m just walking you home.”

Claire shook her head. “Okay, fine.” Her phone vibrated in her pocket. She frowned down at the screen and declined it before sliding it back into her pocket.

“Who was that?” Dylan asked glancing at her.

“My boss.”

“You’re ignoring your boss?”

Claire nodded. “He deserves it.”

“Yeah? What did he do?”

“Tried to kill my boyfriend.”

Dylan laughed a little. “That’s right. You work for that crazy vampire down the alley near the Day house, right?”  

Claire frowned, but she nodded. She didn’t know what the Day house was, or where the alley was. But she knew Myrnin. “Yeah. That’s him.”

“Granma Day calls him the trapdoor spider. You know why?”

Claire shrugged. Damn, she should know this. Claire cleared her throat and folded her arms. She looked around and suddenly felt very uncomfortable. “Because he preys on innocent victims to walk down the alley. Then he sucks him dry.” It was a wild guess, but it sounded believable to Claire. Dylan pulled a face.

“Geez. Sounds like a great guy. How could you even stand working with him?”

“Honestly, I have no idea.” They came to a stop at the Glass House. “Well, this is it.”

Dylan looked at the house and nodded. “Looks old.”

Claire blinked. “Because it is.”

He shrugged and turned to Claire. Smiling, he lent in. Claire took a step back. “It’s just a goodbye kiss? Nothing romantic about it.” He took hold of her hand, and Claire pulled away.

“Can you please just stop touching me?” Claire exclaimed. “I’m sick of everyone touching me all the time.” A motorbike pulled up into the Glass house driveway just then. Claire sighed and took another step away from Dylan. Shane pulled off his helmet and got off of his bike looking tough and menacing. And extremely hot.

“Everything alright?” He asked, coming to stand next to Claire. He glared at Dylan, and Claire wondered if he remembered him.

“Fine,” Claire said. “Dylan walked me home. He’s leaving now. Bye Dylan.”

Dylan shrugged and turned. Shane and Claire watched until they were both sure that Dylan was gone. Claire sighed and turned around to face Shane. “You sure you’re okay?” Shane asked. “He giving you a hard time?”

“I’m fine.” Claire sucked in a deep breath. “How was work?”

“Shit. How was school?”

“Shit.”

Shane smiled. “Looks like we could both do with some fun.”

“You know something fun to do in Morganville?”

“Besides beating up vamps?” Shane thought that over. “Yeah. I know a couple of things.”

“Good. I’m up for whatever you’ve got.”

* * *

“Bowling?” Claire raised her eyebrows as she stood with her arms folded in front of the old bowling arena.

“Come on,” Shane said as he took her arm. “You can use the kiddy bowl?”

“Hey! I do not need the kiddy bowl.” Shane gave her a funny look, and Claire mocked scowled at him.

Her phone vibrated in her pocket, and she pulled it out. Myrnin, again. "You okay?" Shane asked, glancing at her phone. She turned off her phone and slid it back in her pocket. Claire smiled as she looked back up at Shane.

"Fine. Ready?"

He smiled. "Let’s get our bowling on.”

Thirty minutes later, Shane couldn’t wipe the smile off of his face. “Don’t feel bad, no one can beat me at bowling.”

Claire pointed a finger at him. “Watch it you. One day I’ll beat you, and kick your ego in the backside.”

Claire looked up at the horizon. “We need to get home,” Shane said. “We don’t want to be out here when the sun goes down.” Claire rubbed her neck, suddenly realizing what the wound on it was from. “I know I say this a lot, but, how you doing?” Claire glanced at Shane, then back at the concrete floor.

“I wish I could say I was remembering. But, I’m not.” Claire paused briefly. “It’s been a week, you know?”

Shane raised an eyebrow. “Has it? Time’s gone so fast.”

“Shane?”

“Hmm?”

“Who bit me?”

Shane looked at her, and his eyes were masked in shadows. He stuffed his hands in his pockets and looked up at the darkening sky. “You won’t like who I’m about to say,” Shane glanced at Claire. “Myrnin.”

“Of course,” Claire sighed. She waited a few moments before saying, “Is it weird, that.. That I’m not really angry at him?”

Shane was clearly irritated about her saying that, but he shrugged. “You’re never angry at him.”

“Well that’s not true.”

“How would you know? You don’t remember anything.” Claire’s mouth dropped open, and she looked away from Shane to the curb. She heard Shane breathe heavily. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean that.”

“It’s okay. I would be angry too if it was the other way around.”

“I’ve been a total ass to you this past week,” Shane remained quiet for a few seconds. “And it’s my fault that this has happened to you.”

“No. It’s not your fault Shane.” Shane stopped walking and Claire came to an abrupt stop next to him.

“It is. I said something that upset you.”

Claire swallowed. “It’s still not your fault.”

“If I hadn’t of said it, you would have been with me instead of by yourself in your room.” Claire went quiet as those words played in her head. She looked up at him.

“What did you say?” Claire asked. “What did you say that made me so upset?”

Shane groaned and started to walk again. “If I tell you, you’ll hate me all over again. And I know it’s selfish, but I don’t think I’ll be able to stand that.”

Claire grabbed Shane’s arm and stopped him from walking. Shane was a strong guy, and he could have easily shaken Claire’s grip, but he chose not to. “Tell me,” Claire said quietly. “I’ll understand.” Shane looked around, and Claire realized that he didn’t want to meet her eyes. “Shane, tell me.”

After a brief few seconds of hesitation, Shane did answer her.

“I was angry because you’d gone off with the vamps. And I knew that it wasn’t your fault and that I shouldn’t have been angry with you. Maybe I was just really stressed out, and I’d said something that I didn’t mean. I said that I’d be better of dead if you were a vampire.”

Claire stumbled for words, “Wow.”

“I know it sounds bad, but I didn’t mean it. And I wish that I could take it back.”

Claire nodded and started walking again. Shane trailed behind her. “I’m not mad,” Claire said. “If you’re wondering.”

Shane raised an eyebrow as he watched Claire. “You’re not? It was a pretty harsh thing to say, Claire.”

She nodded. “I know. But you said that you didn’t mean it.”

Shane frowned. “So, you’re willing to forgive me. Just like that?”

“Were you lying when you said that you didn’t mean it?”

Shane shook his head. “No. I honestly didn’t mean what I said.”

Claire smiled. “Then I’m not mad at you.”

Shane was quiet for a while, and when Claire glanced over at him, she saw that he was smiling. Claire smiled and after a long while of hesitation, she hugged him. He was taken by surprise, and he even backed up a few steps.

But he recovered his balance just as fast as he had lost it, and his arms went around her, invigorating Claire with his cologne. She felt his warm breath stir the hairs on the top of her head. When she finally pulled away, Shane watched her with an unreadable expression.

“What was that for?” He finally asked, his voice low.

Claire sucked in a deep breath. “For putting you through all of this.” They started walking again, and Claire smiled as she hip bumped him. “And for taking me out, even though I totally suck at bowling. Probably worse then my zombie shooting skills.”

Shane laughed and ran a hand through his hair. He was wearing a bracelet, Claire realized. It was similar to an ID bracelet, and was made in sterling silver. Claire titled her head a little, trying to read the writing without making herself look obvious. She gave up after a few attempts, deciding that she couldn’t read it from this far away.

They soon heard whistles and applause as they passed a nearby restaurant.

There was some Bruno Mars song playing, and Claire’s eyes drifted to the restaurant window. She smiled at what must have been a newly engaged couple.

She glanced at Shane, but he only bit his bottom lip and looked away.

After a few moments of silence, Shane finally smiled.

“What?” Claire asked, immediately looking herself up and down making sure that her jeans hadn’t magically fallen down. Shane’s dangerously sexy lopsided smile was still on his face when he held out his hand to Claire. Slowly and uncertainly, she reached out and let him hold her hand. He guided her away from the footpath, and over to a large rock. The surface of the boulder was flat, and Shane jumped onto it. He held out his hands, and helped Claire up after. She gave him a confused look as she let him pull her into the centre of the rock. He twirled her around and Claire laughed. “Seriously, Shane. What are you doing?” He took her hand and placed it on his shoulder, his other hand held hers.

He gingerly placed his free hand on the small of her back. Claire’s skin felt warm where he touched it, and she blinked a few times to regain herself.

Claire didn’t know how to dance that good… Well, if she’d learnt how to dance since she’d come to Morganville, she’d forgotten.

After a few minutes, Shane lent in closer to her, and Claire’s breath caught in her throat. She was starting to prepare her “I’m Sorry But I Can’t Do This Speechif he got any closer, but he didn’t. His mouth lingered near her ear, and he softly whispered in her ear.

“I know that you don’t remember me, I understand that,” He paused for a second, as if deciding if he should really keep going. He did. “But I love you Claire, and I know that it’s bad of me to say that to you after what’s happened. But I really can’t stand the thought of losing you. I guess that shows how selfish I am.”

Claire swallowed and she felt her grip on his hand loosen. She blinked back tears, but she didn’t doubt that Shane would eventually see her watery eyes.

She felt horrible. She knew how much Shane cared about her, and how much he wished that she would remember and things would go back to normal.

Claire shut her eyes, and a single tear escaped from her eye.

Maybe she would have told him. She would have told him that maybe, if she were given some time she might start to love him again.

Because right now, as much as she hated to admit it, she didn’t love him. And that broke her heart.

But she was saved from having to hurt him all over again when Shane let her go.

He gestured for Claire to jump off the rock, and he followed after her.

“Come on,” He said. “We spend any longer out here and Michael and Eve will launch a rescue mission.”

Claire didn’t doubt that.

* * *

“Where in the holy hell, were the two of you?” Eve’s voice was loud, and it echoed throughout the Glass House. Shane rolled his eyes and pushed past Eve. She shoved him, and without stopping, Shane flipped her off.

Eve turned back to face Claire, who was closing the front door and locking it. Eve raised her eyebrows and folded her arms. “Claire. You’re supposed to be the responsible one.”

Claire hid her smile as she started walking towards the kitchen.

“I’m sorry. We just got caught up, that’s all.”

“Well, have you ever heard of a phone?”

“I turned it off.” Claire paused, deciding she wouldn't discuss Myrnin just yet. She shrugged and smiled at Eve. “But I don’t know what happened to Shane’s.”

“Broken,” Shane yelled from the kitchen.

“Broken?” Eve spun around and marched down the hall. Claire followed. “How the hell did you break your phone? Again?”

Both Claire and Eve walked into the kitchen when they heard Shane say, “It heard your voice too many times.”

Shane started laughing, but Michael elbowed him. “Oh come on Mikey,” Shane protested. “That was good.”

“Bite me Collins.” Eve glared at him as she shoved past him to get a bowl.

“Uh, what is that?” Shane peered over the stove and into one of the pots. “It looks like a vegetable massacre.”

“Once again, bite me. It’s stir-fry.” Eve picked up another bowl and handed it to Claire. She took it, and looked down at it. “What do you think C.B.?”

Claire cleared her throat, “It looks good. Just, give me one minute?” Claire put the bowl on the table and dashed out of the kitchen and up the stairs.

She heard Shane say, “That’s Claire’s way of saying that it looks horrible.”

She pushed open her bedroom door, pulling off her sweater at the same time.  She switched on her phone, and prepared to throw it back on her bed. But it vibrated in her hand, and she sighed dramatically as she looked down at her phone.

‘I need to talk to you. Come tomorrow at noon.’

The message was brief, but she felt something flare up inside her as she read it. The message was from Myrnin, her boss. Frowning, Claire started texting her reply.

‘Where?’ She got a reply almost immediately.

‘Michael will take you.’

"Bite me Collins!" Eve yelled from downstairs. That was followed with uncontrollable laughter from both Shane and Michael. She sighed and texted back an agreement before she tossed her phone onto her bed and joined the rest of her housemates at the dinner table. But as she decended the stairs, all she could think of was the stabbing feeling that started in her stomach. She put on a fake smile when she walked into the kitchen. Claire felt sick, and she sunk down into her chair. She was quiet the whole night, and she stared down at her food. There was something wrong, she just knew it. She rubbed her neck and her hands ran over her bite mark. She glanced back up. Eve and Shane were mocking each other, and Michael was rolling his eyes as he sipped from a closed bottle. 

Something was wrong.

Maybe it was that Claire knew that she was in a house with total strangers.

They loved her, and she couldn't return that.

She didn't love Eve. She didn't love Michael. She didn't even love Shane.

Claire felt the stabbing feeling in her stomach again, and she excused herself from the dinner table before they could see her cry.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

624K 36.5K 60
I trembled when we entered the room. I had heard there was nothing quite like make-up sex and even experienced it once or twice with Shane. But this...
15.6K 239 8
Shane's point of view in the Morganville series. Book Four: Feast of Fools. Glass Houses, Dead Girls Dance, Midnight Alley also up. Also, check out m...
602 8 5
A Morganville fanfic thing
47.8K 917 21
This was a requested little vampire fanfic on quizilla, however I decided to put it on here also. Enjoy! All Chapters are dedicated to StoryReader888.