Chapter Fourteen

"Myrnin- don't!" Claire yelled, as she desperately lunged for her mobile. He held the phone up, out of her reach.

"These devices, Claire. They take over your life and they have so little value." Myrnin said as he dodged Claire's fist. "What ever happened to letters?"

"Give me my mobile Myrnin." He flicked off the cover on the back of the mobile and took out the battery. He tossed the phone at Claire, and she struggled to catch it. She stared down at the mobile, back up at Myrnin, then back down at her now un-active mobile. "Hey!" She cried, chucking the phone on the nearby couch and reaching for the battery. "Seriously Myrnin, they're worried about me!" Claire winced as she watch his fist close around the battery. "Watch it! You're going to crush it!"

"Claire, stop." Myrnin only said the two words, but Claire came to an abrupt stop. "You're being ridiculous. You're getting worked up over nothing."

"Well maybe if you'd all explained it to me instead of kidnapping me off of my back porch, I would have been more co-operative."

"Well, it's been explained to you now. No harm done."

"But Myrnin, you don't understand. I didn't even get to say goodbye to my friends. They have no idea where I am, or if I'm in trouble."

"Then I will visit them and I'll tell them that you have important business with the Founder." Myrnin started to turn away.

"No!" Claire reached out and grabbed his arm, spinning him around. "Do you have a death wish? Shane will kill you!" Myrnin smirked.

"Oh Claire. You underestimate my strength?" Claire's lips formed into a tight line and she crossed her arms.

"No. I know how strong you are, but you won't hurt him."

Myrnin's eyebrows raised, "The boy means nothing to me, Claire. Why would I spare his life? He's nothing but a waste."

"Shane just happens to think the exact same thing about you, Myrnin. I've stopped him from hurting you before, okay? But if you ever hurt him again, I will hate you forever."

Myrnin took a step towards her, filling the space between them. "I don't think that you're capable of hating me Claire."

She nodded and she let out a big breath. "Maybe you're right," She said. "But just because you're my boss, doesn't mean that I won't stake you."

Myrnin tilted his head to the side, fascinated by her threat. He smiled, and shook his head. "Oh Claire. You have changed so much since the day I first met you. You intrigued me, you know."

A fake, mocking smile plastered onto Claire's lips. "Is that why you didn't kill me?"

He didn't answer that. He stuck out his bottom lip, shrugged and turned towards the window. Claire'd tried breaking it. She hadn't been successful. The night sky was dark, and she could barely make out the beautiful gardens outside her window. Claire thought that it was probably around one or two in the morning now. "Please, Myrnin," Claire whispered, moving behind him. "Just one call."

He remained silent for a few moments, and he opened his fist to stare down at the battery. She took a step closer, expecting him to hand it over. He didn't. He turned around, glanced at Claire and started walking away from the window. "You should sleep," He said, pulling the wooden door open. "I'll come see you tomorrow."

The door closed, and that left Claire by herself. The room was fairly dark, and she realized that there were no wall or ceiling lights. Small lamps decorated with lace sat on the two wooden bedside tables. A matching floor lamp was placed in between two couches, and the only other source of light were vanilla scented candles. Claire sat on the bed and wrapped her arms around her. She'd thought that she felt alone without her friends, but she'd had Myrnin.  Now that he was gone too, she felt abandoned, and utterly lost.