The Devils Backbone

By Skipology

Fanfiction based on the History Channels Hatfields and McCoys. [Book is a rough draft - needs heavy editing] ... More

CAST: The Hatfield Clan
CAST: The McCoy Clan
SOUNDTRACK
Across the River
Looming Airs
Timber
Blacker Berries
Cotton's Soup
Rain Water
Ominous
Hogswagglers Jury
Chores to Do
Election Day
Rose on the Doorstep
Too Far Gone
Counting Seconds
The Shack
Up to the Timber
Untitled Blooms
Pikeville
Close
Was There Peace in the Valley
Chill Down the Spine
Hammer and Nails
As Blood Sets the Table
Unease
In the Dark
Like Rain in the Sky
One Crossed the River
Lambs Last Mercy
Blood Toucheth Blood
Ever On
Trouble with Peace
Autumn Rain
Fire Starters
Laughter in the Dark
Irregular
A Call to the Wilds
Schemes
Comes A Knocking
Angels
Changing Winds
The Begining
Smoke Before The Blaze
Regrouping
How Deep the Water Runs
A Cabin in the Hills
High Alert
Heat the Frying Pan
Day in the Life
A Wild Ride
No Bells A Ringin'
For Want of a Nail
Killing Season
The Things You Sew
Start of a Charge
New Faces
The First Night
Battlezones
The Pine Box
When All Goes Right
Now's About Time
A Snake in the Roses
Quiet Thunder
The Color of Blood
Plans
Where the Apricots Grow
The Gut You Trust
Road to New York
At Ease
Something New
Adder in the Garden
Fibs and Folly
The Dream Deferred
The Get Away
The Way Back
The Nerve
Mother May I
Daddy Dearest
Quiet Gatherings
Good Bad Spine
Sundance
Cold Dark Morning
Lost and Found
From The Pit
Winter's Sigh
A Wing to Mend
Two Came Knocking
Hard Luck, Shared Blood
For the Better?
A Merry Secret
An Unclever Ruse

Rock Bottom

853 41 17
By Skipology

The cabin creaked softly, it was a mild night compared to most, Cotton chopped away happily at dinner, as he sat and ate on the floor near the small pen he'd made to keep the rabbits in for the night. "Thanks for bringin' them in they didn't like the cold." Cotton said reaching in the feel the rabbit's soft fur. Chyna giggled, "Sure, we couldn't have them cold." She said out of the corner of her eye Chyna glanced at Cap, he knelt among a pile of wood planks. Sorting through them chucking the bad into the fire and keeping the good off to the side, he seemed lost in it.

"Cap, those planks can wait till tomorrow. Your supper is gonna freeze wait'n on you." Chyna called to him. "I won't have time to sort through them tomorrow morning. I've got morning patrol, Need to take you down to see Clint and Iris before we head out to teach ya how to shoot, I told pa I'd go out and do some huntin for the family... I need to finish the crib..." Cap said, he hardly looked away. "So work on the crib, why sort out planks for the rockin' horse if you ain't started the bed? or do neither - Cap it's a long way away," Chyna said, she couldn't fight the smile that stretched across her face. Cap was excited about everything, his mind keeping him months into the future, while she could hardly see tomorrow.

Cap rubbed the back of his neck, " Ma Pa says I should be ready to be ready, says the time goes by fast if you ain't careful..." He sighed, he could feel heat rush to his ears and cheeks, " and...because you're doin' everything else. Alls I can do is things like this..." Cap murmured. Chyna chuckled softly, "oh Cap," she sighed. going to him she stopped him from sorting through the wood planks. "not after dark you not. You stretch yourself too thin and you'll be worn out before the baby even comes. that's when you can really help, that's when I'm gonna need you more than ever." Chyna said.

Cap frown slightly, "This thing, this thing between Hatfields and McCoys gotta end before it gets here Chyna. I can't it tied up in all this, it ain't it's war - the feud its- its getting meaner all the time." Cap said quietly. he let his hands rest against Chyna's stomach. "hell...I'd like there to be some family left for it to see - even if they ain't all too happy 'bout it." Cap sighed. Chyna fussed at Cap's hair and he closed his eyes, resting his forehead to hers. "it'll work out, let's face it, everyone left is too stubborn not to be around after. Anse ain't goin' nowhere...Your Uncle Jim...there isn't a grave deep enough for him to stay in, Lias is too lucky, Judge Wall to Ornery, Johnsey is well....Johnsey.  and Cotton's with us." Chyna reasoned.

"Yeah, We'll all be here when it comes...I get to hold the baby when it comes, before the others right Chyna?" Cotton asked with a grin. "Of course Cot, even before Cap." She laughed, "Not a chance in hell." Cap said quickly,  Chyna and Cotton giggled, It was just another slow day and the feud was still going strong, but in these walls, they had their peace.

------------------------------------------------------------

Sussie stood with a confident smirk stretched sourly across her face as she stood before a scowling woman. "what business has you got here lady - you folk ain't welcome in these parts. these parts is for us." Carla-Joe hissed, resting her hands on her hips. Sussie was unfazed by the woman's snarling eyes. "Oh put them quills down little porcupine," Sussie said waving away Carla-Joe's anger.

"I got something you're gonna like," Sussie offered.

Carla-Joe's brows raised " ain't no Bakra got nothin I want that I can't get or do for myself. an' even should she did...I wouldn't want. Now get on - before we send you out." She spat.

Sussie chuckled and rolled her eyes "aw come on, only a fool don't listen to folk when they have something to say. Hell even you know that even if you did grow up out here with these woodmen." Sussie sang in amusement.

"look, I hear you don't like a certain woman across the tug. I hear you hate that certain woman whole family, extended family included." Sussie mused.

"I don't know who yous talking about," Carla-Joe muttered.

Sussie gave a sly smile "well I think you do. I hear she used to be a pretty little thing, til something rather funny happened to her nose. men around here got a lot to say - says she was ruined by the family she worked for....if you can call it working -"

"she wasn't working! walking about staying with them folk like no one ever fought to free her." Carla-Joe spat quickly.

Sussie's smile grew "so you do know." she said. Carla-Joe lowered her gaze and bit and crossed her arms falling silent. "and if I do?" she asked. "that cow is a traitor, its in her blood her mama was a traitor to, poppin out that...that thing for them people and trying to hide it away she should be ashamed...that thing caused Chyna's father to have to go away...them folk caused him to go away and she still stayed. Only left to tie in with some more like em. It ain't right." Carla Joe grumbled.

"We was the folk to had to provide for those girls when their mama took ill....everybody loved little Chastain..."look at them eyes! ain't she purty! hair already long as her shoulders just a few months old." Carla-Joe spoke bitterly.

Sussie gave a bored yawn, "I don't much care for your jealousy sugar, I just need to know if you hate 'em enough to help even a little 'whitey'  like me out." she said.

"depends...what with?" Carla-Joe said.

"See Chyna's been running with a Hatfield who's got a great big bounty on his head. Son of Devil Anse Himself. I've been trying to catch him - it hasn't been going well. He's a lucky one. And my fool cousin of a McCoy has lost his spine.... We can lure him in with Chyna." Sussie explained her smile turning into a grin "and we can lure her in with you. isn't that grand!" she said.

"Will I get a cut of the bounty reward?" Carla-Joe asked. "hell its not enough you can do whatever you'd like to Chyna?" Sussie asked. Carla-Joe scowled "I don't like her true 'nough. But it's her mullato sister what I can't stand."she said.

Sussie sighed, "I heard about that one too from that few deputized hunter in town. Logan, nose man. He says there's not much love between you two and that Chastain's very protective of her little sister. so obviously, you do something to Chyna and it will lure Chastain in as well. we can kill 3 birds with one stone." Susie said.

Carla-Joe fell silent. "you the only one around here that got a grudge?" Sussie asked. "No, some folks moved out here once the only place across the river that was safe for colored people burned down. them folk say it was Chyna's fault for keeping with the white people...and worse, bringing in in a place they didn't belong." Carla-Joe murmured.

"good, get them to help you too." Sussie giggled.

"I don't want no trouble for this," Carla-Joe said quickly. "I'm the only one around to take care of my mother," she added.

With a frown Sussie rolled her eyes "nobody out here has a spine, do they? everyone's afraid of getting caught." She snapped. "Fine, you don't get into any trouble. We'll just say they attacked you for the Hatfields or something. you'll be fine Porcupine." Sussie said.

Carla-Joe gave a reluctant nod, "alright, nobody can know it's you we's helping...they won't wanna do it. I think I got a way to get Chyna out here and a place to keep her hidden away until what his face shows." she said Sussie gave a nod, "see now isn't this exciting. You send word to Calvin McCoy should you need to reach me - I wanna see the place before you catch her. So you won't cross me and so I'll know where to have Calvin lure Cap." Sussie said, the playfulness leaving her eyes and turning into something full of greed.

"You bungle it and I won't give you a red cent - you hear!" Sussie warned nearly shouting. Carla-Joe's eyes narrowed "talk to me like that again an' you might go missin' to Bakra." she said quietly. Sussie gave her a cynical smile before heading back to her horse, "calm down, we get this done and you won't see hide nor hair from me again." Sussie called.

------------------------------------------------------------

"I told you not to come 'round here no more..." Calvin hissed in a whisper. He kept his eyes trained on the row of flowers in the flower shop. "You said that your pa's house. we're in the flower shop." Sussie said she looked about curiously and then turned an eye to Calvin, "why in God's name are you in a flower shop?" she asked him.

Calvin grimaced and carefully tended a vase full of  yellow freesias, "because it's peaceful here, nobody can be mad while looking at soft vivid petals and surrounded by nature's perfume." Calvin murmured. "well aren't you a regular bleeding heart, Cal." Sussie said dryly. Calvin stroked the yellow petal of the freesia and cast a glare towards Sussie, "what do you want, say what it is you gotta say and leave." He said, turning his attention to fill the vase with more water he muttered. "You'll probably wilt the flowers."

"I only came by to tell you that a woman might come looking for me sometime soon. She and I got buisness to handle, but I can't just be waiting around so, if she can write you'll get a letter and if not I'm sure she'll find you." Sussie explained. Calvin glanced at her, "who is this woman? what're you up to now?" Calvin asked cautiously. "I thought you was done dealing with me." Sussie sang.

"Yeah but you seem real happy and I don't trust that." said Calvin.

Sussie gave him a sly smile and looked about the shop, "maybe I'll by the biggest most expensive roses this place has got when alls done." she hummed. "I'll be checking back in a few days." She said leaving out the door.

Calvin sighed and looked to the yellow freesias, "I don't like this." He muttered.  glancing over his shoulder he could see through the window, Sussie nearly skipping up the street. Calvin stepped away from the flowers and headed for the back door, he needed to slip away without her seeing him.

Meanwhile, in the middle of the woods empty bottles hung from threads by branches. Cap walked around Chyna who held up a weathered rifle, "Its a little beat up but should work fine." Cap said taking his place behind her, "Its the one Pa and Uncle Jim used to teach me when I was knee-high to a horse." Cap said fondly.

Chyna giggled, "only it's not gonna be so easy for you." She said, eyeballing the riffle almost afraid to move as she stood stock-still. "You can relax," Cap said. Chyna shook her head, "as soon as I do, this ol'thang here is gonna decide to fire off because I twitched a little." She said quickly.

Cap chuckled, "It don't work like that Chyna." He said, now standing at her side he carefully moved her arms into a proper height to aim. "that little thing right there," He said tapping on a nodule on the barrel of the rifle, "use that to help your aim, there isn't much kickback on this, but you want to make a habit of being grounded." Cap Instructed.

Chyna focused on the piece on the barrel, "It's a sight, called that for good reason. If you're ever unsure, focus on it." Cap said. "Take as long as you need to to be sure of your aim. unless its a dire situation - your aim is everything. You want to mean to hit the target, mistakes are bad in several ways." He said.

Chyna nodded briefly, still getting familiar with the sight.

Cap watched her with a faint smile as her face looked so serious. He chuckled softly, He'd not been nearly as serious when learning himself, though he was only a child. "Nearly shot Uncle Jim's ear off." Cap thought, he pointed up to a low hanging bottle within a fairly close range. "try that bottle there first." Cap said.

Chyna turned the rifle's aim up and slightly to the left, afraid to leave out of her aim position lest she be unable to find it again on her own. focusing on the brown bottle hanging carefully from a small branch Chyna grimaced, she could already picture herself missing, "bet no one hits anything on their first try, it'll be alright." she told herself.

Once she was sure that the sight lined up with the bottle Cap reached out a tapped the hammer of the rifle, "this curvy pit here is the Hammer. once it's cocked back, pulling the trigger will release it. Which will cause the firing pin to strike the primer of the cartridge, igniting the charge and you'll fire a shot." said Cap.

"Why does that sound complicated?" Chyna asked. Cap shrugged "because it ain't....not for us, bet it was a real pain in the ass for the fella that thought of it though." Cap laughed. Nodding towards the rifle Cap took a step away from her, "pull the hammer back." He said.

Chyna did so carefully hearing a familiar click, "you're all set when your ready, pull the trigger." He said. Chyna lingered, her eyes going from the sight to the bottle and back again. Eyes open she pulled the trigger, she could feel the blast pushing up and out through her arms, it bad her body shake and exhale. The bullet flew past the bottle and lodged itself into a tree.

"Missed." Chyna said breathlessly, Cap lingered silently, eyes watching Chyna "the feelings a bit of a rush ain't it?" he asked slowly. Chyna looked up at Cap from over her shoulder, His eyes were glued to her trembling fingers. "um..." Chyna stammered, her words eaten away as his eyes, holding in them a seriousness which was almost frightening, met her own. 

"I, yes." Chyna said, Cap moving closer adjusted her aim for her, "You're arms aren't steady, remember from this end it can't hurt you, you're the only danger here." He explained, voice deepening into a lull as his eye fixed to the bottle. The chill in his voice set Chyna's skin on fire, "If he's tryin' to make me focus, lawd is he doing it wrong." Her mind thought in a strained scream.

"I'll keep you steady this time when you're ready," Cap said.

Chyna tried desperately to focus, Cap could feel her trying to control her breathing which started to quicken and it caused him to smirk. He shook his head and went to back away. "wh-" Chyna  looked back at him, Cap gave her a reassuring smile "It sounded good in my head, but it don't seem to be working." He chuckled.

Chyna blushed, "now you come right on back here...If I can shoot that thing with you here giving me fits....I can keep a steady aim through anythin. " Chyna said qith quick words. Cap laughed and tipped his hat to her "yes ma'am" he said, taking his place behind her, he helped guide her aim.

and the second shot failed, as did everyone after. Running out of time through the day.

Cap laughed loudly "shut up..." Chyna murmured red-cheeked, Cap chuckled quietly. "I tol' you, didn't I? you should have practice without me hovering so close." He said. "That wasn't it, after a while - I was used to you. I'm just bad at shootin." Chyna said. Cap raised one brow and walked to her, he dropped his playful expression. Closing the distance between them the fabric of their clothing lightly touching as he peered down at her, eyes shadowed by the brim of his hat.

"Really?" He whispered breathilly.

Chyna sucked in her lips and could hear her face glowing. Cap tried ot keep his serious expression but started to roar with laughter as her face became redder at a quick pace. "I said shut up William Cap H-Hatfield!" Chyna stammered, her face glowing like a lantern now from embarrassment.

"heh, come on let me have it - not sure how many women that would have actually worked on." He said.

Chyna scowled lightly "any sane one." she shot.

Cap stopped laughing and rubbed the back of his neck, Chyna's eyes opened away from the glare they'd formed, and an amused smirk formed on her face. he folded her arms and admired her handy work in the form of Cap's flushed ears and nose.

"don't even say it...." he sulked pulling his hat down to hide his face. "why're you hiddin?" Chyna giggled. "I can already see you all pink-faced." 

-------------------------------------------------------------------

"and why should I care?" Nancy's words fell flat and cold as she stood in front of the Saloon, her eyes glancing about to make sure no one was listening in. Though Pikeville was quiet, nothing but crickets. Calvin watched Nancy, he shouldn't be shocked after all Nancy had tried to kill Chyna herself, but he at least expected her to want to revenge against the Hatfield for herself. "I thought you wanted to kill the Hatfields. I thought you might wanna stop Sussie." Calvin said.

Nancy scoffed and tossed a cynical sneer, "I just want 'em in the ground. I don't much care who puts 'em there. Chyna chose her side, so I can careless what takes her out too as long as it happens, I'm happy as a pig in clover." Nancy sang. "....its pig in shit, Nancy." Calvin sighed. "Yeah well, I won't lay down in shit." Nancy shot back sharply. "then why're you with Bad Frank." Calvin thought.

"You're the only one walking around so ate up about all this Calvin. Grow up, it's a war - so start fightin already." Nancy said, she turned her back to Calvin and headed back into the Saloon to find Bad Frank.

Calvin sighed in defeat, he would warn them himself but he was terrified of crossing the river. He was quite sure that his head would be shot clear off as soon as he hit the water's edge.

"Sounds like you could use a little help there."

Calvin turned sharply and found Logan standing not far off, "W-where did you come from?" Calvin stammered. "You get really good at fading into the background as a lawman," Logan explained. He stopped a few feet away, "If you think a crime's about to be committed you should tell me now. This whole thing.... it's bloody enough already." Logan pressed, he could see Calvin was nervous.

"Yeah, but don't you work for bad Frank?" Calvin asked. "I do, I don't blindly lick his boots however, I follow what the law says. Bad Frank is called what he is for a reason." Logan stated. His calmness lured Calvin out of his defensiveness, "well... let's say I might get word on where somethin bad is gonna happen. Let's say I know it shouldn't be happenin." Calvin murmured.

"I'd say you should send word for or come find me when you learn the when's and where's" Logan advised. Cavin rubbed his arm uncomfortably, "I might." Calvin said. Logan gave a nod and headed back towards the sheriff's office.

Calvin found himself alone in the night and quietly release a breath of relief. "I hope that was right to do. I hope Sussie and Nancy don't get too raw about me tellin...."  he thought before heading into the Saloon, he usually tried to stay clear of it but tonight he could use a drink.

Morning broke with an icy mist through the trees of the West Virginia hills, low winter clouds threatening to kiss the higher territories of the mountains. Both Cap and Chyna prepared for the day. "Maybe you should stay here, I can have Clint send Iris and the kids up here...they can even stay for a few days." Cap offered, watching Chyna with concern as she packed a small satchel. "We don't have room for the kids to sleep Cap, its too cold for them to take the floor." Chyna reasoned. 

"It's a trip we've made lots of times, I'll be fine, Iris is gonna meet me halfway," Chyna said.

Cap's eyes stated on her quietly, "stop worrying." Chyna said gently, "understand, its not jus you I'm worried about anymore." Cap said in a sigh, he picked up the small bag Chyna had stocked with lunch for himself and cotton. "I know it - an' we'll be jus fine." said Chyna.

She gave Cap a stern gaze, "Now I back Sarah, Arvella and Robert E. some biscuits of their own. don't you go eatin them - I'm the one eatin for two." she said. Cap opened the bag and peered inside, "they're the ones with the raspberry jam in the middle...." he muttered side glancing. "You have your own." Chyna stated slowly.

"hell, if I don't eat 'em cotton will." Cap reasoned. "then you stop him from messing with them too." Chyna said. Cap chuckled "awright, but it's the holiday season and I'd like a whole plate full to myself." He said. Chyna fixed his shaggy hair away from his face and placed his hat atop his head. "we'll see." she hummed.

Gathering their items together, Chyna and Cap met with Cotton by the horses.

"come on cap, uncle Anse will be mad if we're late...." Cotton called as Cap lingered at Chyna side were she sat mounted on the horse. "I'm commin, hold on a sec." Cap muttered, resting his hand on Chyna's leg he looked up at her. "you keep your eyes open an' your head low. there's a pistol in your saddlebag, and a knife. you run for the timber fields should you need help - Clints down there today." Cap said carefully.

"Cap, I'll be fine. Iris can fire a gun as good as any one of you nearly. But we won't need to." Chyna said. Cap grimaced and forced a smile onto his face. he took Chyna's hand and pressed a slow kiss to the back of it. "try an' be back before dark. I'll be home by then - I should be." He said. 

"Caaaaap!" Cotton called. 

Chyna giggled, "well go on get!" she said, Cap gave her a real smile and headed off towards Pardon.

--------------------------------------------------

Calvin cringed as he looked down at the letter that had arrived down at the post.  atop his horse he carefully unrolled the letter. Calvin exhaled as his eyes scanned what looked to be a map. It was well drawn and very detailed, depicting the local woods, deep within there was an x marked inside of a jagged circle and a small x under an arched line further away.

"what in tarnation..." Calvin murmured, "where is this?" he asked himself. He wasn't sure he wanted to give it to Sussie, but he could only imagine the wrath he would face if he didn't it.

Inside the Saloon, Nancy rested her head on Bad Franks chest her eyes fixed on the light from the lamp. She hadn't slept much since Calvin came to warn her. "I hate her, like the rest of them." Nancy thought to herself.  Bad Frank rubbed Nancy's shoulder  "you've been quiet." he said. Nancy peered up at him and grinned "I'm just excited, thing is finally goin well for me." She said.

"oh?" He asked her with a smile, Nancy gave a nod, "of course, gots me a good man, Hatfields is going down like rotted trees, an' one of the biggest rees might be toppled over real soon." She nearly sang. Bad Frank reached out to light a cigarette "sounds like things are going well." He chuckled.

Bad Frank blew out a puff of smoke and passed the cigarette to Nancy, she politely rejected it. "though I hear your COusin Roseanna isn't doing to well." He said. Nancy shrugged "did it to herself, probably curse for ever loving one of them devil Hatfields. I s'pose I should be worried - wish I could say I cared much. I just don't" Nancy sighed.

"You are a cold and beautiful woman." Bad Frank said with a smirk.

Chyna and Iris laughed as they rode through the woods racing their horses at a slower gallop. "alright, alright that's enough! I done got to ol' for this and you're bouncing that Baby about in there!" Iris called. Chyna giggled "He's gonna be a rider, He'll need to get used to it." said Chyna, lightly stroking her stomach, "I'm getting bigger..." She said. It seems surreal at best, she waited for the day that the baby was big enough to kick to let her know it wasn't an odd shared dream.

Iris smiled, "I bet that boy can hardly keep his hands to himself." Iris said, Chyna laughed and nodded "Cap's always feeling my belly and talking to him in there." Chyna said.

Iris arched a brow "ya'll still sure it's a he then?" She asked.

"Cap says he's got a feeling, I trust it. It might be my body it's growing in but...that man's got some sort of connection with this child." Chyna explained.

The women road along at an easy pace across the chilled land, into the lower hills and grassy woodlands nearer to Iris' home.

"The kids all wanna talk to their "cousin" as Clints taken to calling it," Iris said. 

"oh...hold on a minute..." Chyna said, halting her horse and trying to climb down at quickly as she could. taking the side of her skirt into her hands she ran for the trees, "I just wish I'd stop growing so close to my bladder!" Chyna called. Iris laughed and clapped "It doesn't get easier after the first one either!" Iris called.

Down at Anse's Timber fields, Clint oversaw a team of workers, he'd never seen so many white folks working with the colored folk. Luckily they weren't giving him much trouble,  A worker by the name of Glenn marched up to Clint wringing his hat in his hands nervously. Clint peered down at him confused "You alright there Glenn?" He asked. "no sir, me and Joe done seen some odd folk about in the lower end." Glenn said.

"Strange folk?" Clint questioned, Glenn nodded, "theys was wearin potatuh sacks over their heads, bundled up where you couldn't see no skin nowhere." Glenn held out his arms wide "was towin a cart with a barrel about this large around. It didn't look well Clint." He said shaking his head. "not at all, a few of us was gonna go on ahead and check up on our families in a while." Glenn said.

"They felt like them kinda folk?" Clint asked carefully, he glanced about. Glenn simply nodded. with a quiet sigh, Clint gave Glenn's shoulder a shake "you go and check on Ida and the girls, take Joe tell him to check on Momma Rose and his brothers." Clint said.  "but you be careful if all well come back an' I will send a few more fella's to check on their families too." Clint said. Glenn was quick to leave, waving down Joe as well.

A cold slippery feeling tingled across Clint's arms and legs, He didn't like the sound of that news, "it's a particularly cold day today isn't it?" Clint asked turning to look towards Billy as he and another man carried a few chopped logs. "My fingers is frozen an' I gots gloves on." Billy complained.

-----------------------------------------------

Chyna and Iris were nearer to her home, the sky had started to darken a funny thickness lingered in the air. Chyna coughed and cleared her throat. "you're eyes burnin too?" Iris asked wiping away the water from her eyes.

Chyna nodded and reached into her satchel, pulling out a hankie she covered her mouth and nose.  "Jesus..." Iris breathed as she spotted flickers or orange deep in the tree, "a wildfire?" Chyna questioned. "In the middle of winter? not likely," Iris said. Chyna looked to her right, flames were creeping from the other side as well. "it's moving fast." Chyna said.

"come on let's keep moving." Iris urged, "before the horses get spooked."

Chyna followed Iris, riding faster as the flames grew taller around them, Forward was seeming like a risky idea, but as Chyna looked behind them she noticed the way behind them meant a longer ride between the walls of flame. For a brief moment, she swore she saw figures lingering behind them.

Chyna's heart raced, but Iris was calm for now. "if we head for the river we will be fine, the flames shouldn't jump it without wind blowing. the cold and snow might tame them soon." Iris said. Chyna gave a nod. "right" she coughed. "don't breath too deep, the smoke won't be any good for ya." said Iris.

At the timberlands, A worker pointed to a thick plume of smoke flowing into the sky in the distance. "You see that?" He said. "reckon that ain't no campfire." said another. Clint's eyes wandered to the plume, "Billy! gather some men and get buckets fulla water, tell someone to put the horse troughs on some wagons take them out to the timberline and wet the around, shovel snow mounds up, keep the flames away should they turn." Clint said.

"You've seen a wildfire before ?" Billy asked. "worked all over...seen a lightning bolt hit an old tree once, sent the whole area a flame, nearly took out a town. " Clint said. a deep frown etched across his face, "only ain't no storm here...and even the biggest foo couldn't start no fire camping in this kind of weather." Clint said.

"ain't your house that way?" Billy asked. "yes, that's why I need you to go get the men preparing, I need to ride and check on everyone." CLint said, heading for his horse.

Chyna and Iris rode across the river, the horses protesting at the chilly waters and icy rocks, "come on we'll follow the river down a ways, we can see just how thick this fire wall is." Iris said. "maybe we should head for town? warn somebody, get help?" Chyna asked.  

"you really want to step foot in Pikeville?" Iris questioned. Chyna shook her head, "no, no there is a small town - a town for colored folk. Moms friends lived thier, built it once the war was over. I got some friends there, they can take word to  the sheriff in Pikeville." Chyna reasoned. "which way?" Iris asked.

"Up the river a ways, and cute through the southeast." Chyna said.

As the two tore through the thick woods, the sound of many more hooves echoed behind them. Iris glanced over as a rider rode up alongside her, dark eyes peering out of a potato sack over his head. he quietly pointed a pistol at her. 

"Iris!" Chyna called out, "keep going, come on faster!" Iris called kicking her heels into the side of the horse. The two women rode hard through the woods. "we aint  goin' the right way anymore." Chyna called to Iris, "don't matter no more, right now we need to get away." Iris said.

Something didn't feel right, the five men chasing them were sure to keep a distance, every now and then one would hollar as if to spook them. "they ain't all white folk...." Chyna thought to herself as she listened to their voices. 

Iris' horses yet out a shrill sound, She tried to stop it as the ground beneath them started to crumble, "Chyna stay back!" Iris shouted holding out her arms as her horse slipped down with the sliding earth. "Iris!" Chyna cried, her horse wouldn't stop fast enough, Chyna found herself thrown from its back as horse and ride fell down the steep slope into the hole. Chyna tried to roll to avoid the hooves of the flailing horse, "Iris!" she called out,  the sound was knocked from her lungs as he back hit a pile of stone and the world around her faded, the desperate pained sounds of the horses echoing and soon vanishing with the world around her.

---------------------------------------------------

Clint reached his home, his hands gripped at his short fro and his eyes started to well with tears, skin hot as he stood amid the surrounding wildfire. he watched the home burn. "Birdy! Iris! Kids!" he hollered out. the horse started to panic and smoke-filled CLint's lungs. "Answer me!" He called out, though nothing but the roar of the flames replied, tears slipped from Clint's eyes, and stung his cheeks, He could feel burns slowly forming just from the heat of the air alone.

"You can't stay here." His mind told him, but he couldn't stop searching. His horse sick of the heat took off. Clint could not stop it, he could only hold on as the horse wild with fright galloped away with him, to find a safe place. Clint couldn't tear his eyes away from the burning house.

Safe and out of the fire, Clint fell from the horse, landing in melted snow he covered his face with his hands, sobs which were silent became louder and louder by the minute.

"Clint!" Billy's voice called as he rode up to the weeping man. Billy nearly fell on his horse trying to get down as fast as he could. Falling to his knees next to Clint his eyes wandered to the fire in the distance, "Clint?" Billy questioned quietly, Clint still cried loudly in the snow. "You hurt?" Billy asked, but he could coax no coherent reply. "......I'm sorry," Billy whispered. "maybe...maybe they ran." He offered. 

Johnsey stepped out of his Still and peered at the sky, above the treetops he could see the smoke. "this ain't wildfire season." He muttered. "what idiot went an' let his campfire run wild." He asked himself. "Better head on to tell somebody..." He thought. While he was aware he shouldn't step foot in Pikeville, "I'll be damned if I let that fire get out here and burn my stillry." He muttered.

Johnsey went to the hitching post and unhitch his horse. 

"let's hope Bad Frank and his boys ain't in town right now." Johnsey sighed, riding off.

Chyna awoke with a yell, her lower body felt numb and the taste of blood was in her mouth. Setting up she felt something heavy on her legs, the world around her was dark and her eyes were slowly adjusting. Pressing her palms against the thing weighing her down she felt thin fur and warmth. "oh lord...no, gt off." Chyna breathed trying her best to push at the deceased animal. Pushing at it made her right arm scream at her wrist and elbow. 

With a yell Chyna gave up, laying back down she tried to calm her rapid breathing, "ok..ok calm down...just...." It wasn't working, tears weld up in her eyes. "Iris?" Chyna questioned.

"Iris! you there! get up!" Chyna called out, "I-I'm stuck...where are you?" she said. There was no reply and Chyna started to panic more. "maybe she was knocked out too, or - where is we anyways." Chyna thought. drawing in a deep breath and stealing her nerves she sat herself back up and pushed at the horse. Through the pain and protests of her body she managed to shove the horse enough to pull her legs from under it.

A silent cry came from her as she looked down at her leg, it was a wonder it wasn't broken, but it was black and blue, throbbing with pain. her other leg had gone to sleep. Carefully getting to her feet Chyna looked around, her eyes slowly adjusting to the low light of the cave. looking up the light from the mouth above her was nearly blinding even through the cover of the smoke and orange hues.

"Iris?" Chyna questioned, hobbling around, she could see Iris' horse his head beneath a tall pile of large stones. Chyna shivered at the sight of blood pooled around the animal. But no Iris.

Looking past the horse further down the cave, Chyna could see Iris. She lay still on her side, "Iris hold on!" Chyna called, running over to her, limping to a halt she got on the ground and carefully rolled Iris over. She bled from her crown and both legs were at od angles. 

"Iris, Iris come on we just got you back up and awake!" Chyna called lightly shaking her. She pressed her ear to Iris' chest listening for a sound, and she heard it faintly a heart still trying. Chyna removed her ear and exhaled, she held Iris in her arms and rocked. "It's going to be ok." Chyna said quietly, she took in her surroundings and sniffled a bit. "we's gonna be jus fine." she added.

Chyna's body jolted as a sharp pain twisted from deep in her abdomen, She bit her lip and held in a yell. tears slipped down her face. "my god why is it always gots to be somethin!" she cried out, snaking one arm around her belly under Iris she gave herself a squeeze. "It's ok, I promise we'll get out." she said to the growing child. "just...rest, let's all just rest for a moment." She murmured, her eyes feeling heavier.

------------------------------------------------

In Pikeville Jim McCoy sat with Kathryn and Calvin at a table in the Saloon. Sussie entered in nearly prancing as she walked up to join them. She gave Calvin a kiss on the temple. "what was that for?" Calvin asked cautiously, "for telling me the letter came, it's a perfect spot. I'll be heading out to meet up with them soon to talk about the next steps. Terrible thing - I hear there's been a wildfire on the Virginia Kentucky line." Sussie said taking a seat.

Kathryn frowned, She wasn't fond of this woman either, "Kathryn." Sussie greeted. Kathryn said nothing, instead, taking a deep sip from Jim's whiskey.

"Several people have reported it, Bad Franks knocked out pissy drunk upstairs....they sent Logan to inform the Logan county sheriff about the fire on the Virginia side. to see about getting it under control.  Pa said it should burn out on its own the weather like it is and all. we expect snow soon." Jim said.

Calvin couldn't take his eyes away from Sussie's catlike grin as a feeling sunk deep into the pit of his gut.

Sussie stood up and beamed "well, I'm off to site see! you know I hear there used to be an old mining town out here. I think I'd like to see it!" Sussie chimed, taking her leave.

Calvin looked won into his glass, Logan was gone, how was he supposed to get the news to him about the map? Calvin spotted Nancy heading up the steps of the Saloon to the rooms, "of course!" he thought setting to his feet, he put his hat on his head "I'll be back" He said to his brother.

"I cna tell Johnsey and he can take a message to Cap and warn them...that is if it isn't too late." Calvin thought to himself. Headin gup the street he saw just the man he was looking for. Johnsey looked about paranoid as he carefully rode into town. "Johnsey!" Calvin called out, Johsney's face paled as he cautiously headed Calvin's way. "eh...h-hey Calvin. you aint...I mean you wouldn't turn me in right? I'm just here to report the fire..." Johnsey stammered.

"I won't, I'm actually sorta glad to see you." Calvin said, he walked around Johnsey's horse and spoke quietly. "I gotta a batty Cousin who is looking to snatch up that bounty on Cap's head....but she's getting involved people who ought notta be. She's set a trap to Lure Cap, she wants to use Chyna. We've done enough to her...." Calvin said, he sighed and looked up at Johnsey "you gotta find a way around the fire to go warn Cap and Chyna." Calvin said.

Calvin reached into his inner coat pocket and pulled out a folded piece of paper, on it was a poorly drawn replica of the map he'd given to Sussie. "take this, he'll need it, I'm not sure where the area is exactly." Calvin said.

"s-sure, yeah. um...thanks Calvin." Johnsey said quickly turning his horse about and heading out of town. 

Day turned to night, Cap stood on the front porch pacing, Cotton lingered inside, happily fixing a large pot of soup, he'd gotten good at it now and the homey smell seeped out of the house. Cap stopped his pacing as she spotted two figured nearing the cabin on horseback, he lifted his gun a bit, "Cap!" Billy's voice called out.

Cap lowered his gun and swiftly jogged down the steps, "Billy?" He questioned, "Clint?" Cap looked between them, Clint's shirt and pants were singed and he gazed down at Cap with hollow eyes. "whats happened?" Cap asked. "Wildfire's taken a good chunk of the woods Cap." Billy started slowly, he looked to Clint with sympathetic eyes, "Clint...he - well...his house...." Billy struggled to find a way to bring it up gently.

Cap's eyes became wide, "the fire?" Cap asked. "and Iris? Chyna? they were headed there so she could see the kids." Cap said quickly. "I called for Iris, Birdy and the Kids....I forgot that Chyna was supposed to be visitin' today....I didn't call out for her." Clint said quietly.

"But no one answered." He added.

Cap exhaled, "t-take him in make sure he's ok. I...I'll ride out and go look. suns down, the fires gotta be mostly out by now anyway." Cap said trying to calm his racing heart. "Cottons got food ready...fill up. I'll return as soon as I find them!" Cap called running to Pardon, rifle in hand.

"Cap you be careful," Billy called, Cap tipped his hat at him and rode away.

Up the road, he saw a figure, "Cap?" Johnsey questioned. "Johnsey! ride with me?" Cap asked. "where to? I kinda got something important to tell you." Johnsey said carefully, He could see Cap's eyes were in a fluster. "There was a wildfire near Clint's home...it took his house. Chyna was s'posed to be visitin with Iris today. Clint says he called out an' no one answered...." Cap spoke quickly.

"I...Cap, folk is trying to catch you. Theys want to use Chyna to do it. Calvin so much as told me himself." Johnsey reached into his saddlebag and pulled out the folded  map. He passed it to Cap, "he says they was palnnin on makin it somewhere here on this map. Only we don't know what place that map is. one of them Xs is probably the spot." Johnsey spoke slowly.

Cap's eyes darted across the paper, ".....she ain't come home Johnse...." Cap whispered, his hands shook lightly as he held the map.

"they got her or the fire did and I need...I need to know." Cap said, like his hands his voice started to qauke. Johnsey watched his brother steadily, "I'll go on back to my still. I can look on the way but you, you gotta go back. go back home and get ready, get some folk to help you an' we'll fo find this spot together if I don't see her no wheres." Johnsey said.

Cap exhaled and looked Johnsey squarely, "I...she..." Cap stammered, "She's got our babe in her Johnse." he said softly. "I knew the day felt bad, and I let her go." the words came out in a near whimper. Johnsey felt a lump form in his throat, "go home Cap, tell pa. he might... he might help. I'm gonna go scout ahead - awlright?" Johnsey said.

Cap looked down at the map in the dark, the pitiful look in his eyes slowing turning in ice. "Hey," Johnsey called gently, Cap looked up at him, "We'll find them." Johnsey said. Cap drew in a deep breath and gave a stiff nod. "now go on home...you look like you're spit up dinner all ov'r your horse." Johnsey said cracking a forced smile.  "there ain't nothin in thier to cough up." Cap sighed.

"right, so go an' eat. You can't find her on nothing in your gut." Johnsey said.

"I'll find 'er if I can." Johnsey said, Cap read his race and there was a seriousness he'd only seen a few times before. "alright, alright....thanks Johnse." Cap sighed. "I'll try and gather up some help." Cap said, reluctantly turning his horse around and heading back for the cabin.

Johnsey watched his little brother go and exhaled a long sigh, He brushed his hair back, "gawdamn...." he whispered. " come on get!" He called to his horse, clicking his heels into it and turning it back towards the tug. He could vaguely remember where Clint's home was and while he had no desire to shift through ashes at this time of night, He'd never seen that look in Cap's eyes.

" But I can't let it happen to him. no, I can't" Johnsey murmured, riding through the cold night.

----------------------------------------------

Chyna gazed blankly down at the rock in her hand, she sniffled and shivered, gently placing the last stone on the mound. "I'm sorry...its just to keep you until I can get you out and do it proper," Chyna said in a soft whimper. Her tear hit the stones, "I'm sorry I said to come this way. I'm sorry I didn't stay at home. I shoulda...Cap's feelings is rarely wrong." Chyna said quietly.

Chyna kissed the stones briefly and got to her feet, slowly backing away from the darkness of the inner cave and back to where the dim light of the moon shone through the mouth of the cave above. Her hands wrapped tenderly around her belly. It ached the sharp pain was now but a constant cramp. her lower back felt as if someone had been standing on it and her legs were unsteady.

With eyes closed Chyna tried to calm herself, "don't get worked up...don't you dare. It's bad for 'im." Chyna told herself, rubbing her stomach lightly. "stay calm....when the sun comes up we can look and see if there is a tunnel out." She said. "and hope ain't nothin in here with us in the meantime."

Chyna went to the dead horse, she rested against it, its body was no longer warm but she hoped the fur would keep her warm from the cold. Her cheeks tingled as the air chilled the tear stains, and her ripped dress left her open to the elements. the ground and rock felt like ice beneath her. "at least the wind can't reach us here." She said, forcing a smile as she talked to the life she carried.

Her abdomen throbbed with pain, quick and sharp. Chyna hissed and hugged herself, "No, no - I know, I'm sorry. It was bad, real bad. I knows it." Chyna said. she rocked her body as if the rock the child and soothe the pain.

She looked up the mouth of the cave to see the stairs in the sky, "who were those men anyhow?" She asked herself. Covering her mouth Chyna coughed, her hopefulness deflating as she looked at the red droplets that lay scattered across her palm. Chyna swallowed hard, "lord what did I do?" she thought.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

138 11 15
* #1 in Interracialmarriage* This book contains very strong language and well-detailed sex scenes. Read at your own risk. "Ari, I know what you ar...
134K 5.2K 60
**** COMPLETE **** This novel centers around Faith, a young black woman in her early 20s that's given up on the thought of love. That is until she fi...
3.8K 171 79
Get ready to dive into the captivating story of teenage couples as they navigate the treacherous waters of high school and strive to make their relat...
45 0 1
Imagine ending up in Boston at Shams' bedside, out of promise to his sister and your best friend, even though he is the same ex black fiancรฉ who dump...